WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 04:20 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States
Re: Waiting out the rain

That is an excellent question. I would have to ask, is the design caused by the scratching or does the color define it? If you would take away the color, what would the scratches reveal?

I love it, but to me it is a watercolor rendering. Mixed Media?
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Mixed media is my vote too.

I think you have to decide which medium/technique dominates. If it's 50% or more scratching, does that make it a scratchboard? I don't know for sure, but I'd use that as a guide.

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 PM
A Local Legend
Martha's Vineyard, MA

Hails from United States

I really like Sue's comment--if you remove the color, what would be left in terms of the amount of scratching. This is a very interesting question about what is scratchboard art. It is clear that scratchboard is predominantly defined by the process of scratching but it's definition in my opinion should not be exclusionary in terms of the various other inks, acrylics, oils, pastels, etc that can be combined with it. Why is scratching and adding inks classified as scratchboard, but adding watercolor or acrylics is mixed media? Because of ampersand boards scratching has broad an exciting application potential that could never be achieved with Esdee boards and thus we should encourage that potential.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
A Local Legend
Metamora, Illinois

Hails from United States

Your comment...I used a lot of "sanding, NBT and erasers"
to me sum it up as a scratchboard.
Any abrasive not just the typical knives, scalpels is used to remove the ink.
To me....it's the same as just adding black ink on a white board and removing the ink, adding more, removing the ink.
As a point to ponder.....
isn't that how Charlie Ewing does his boards? (I Know it is cause I have had the pleasure of seeing 3 of his demos in person ) No knives, just the Fiberglass brush and steel wool. The fact that you added color (inks and colored pencils) only changes the process a little.
Just my 2 cents...or in today's economy adjusted for inflation....my $5.38

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast
Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Thanks Sue, Ann, Harry for your help. It is all inks - I wish I were comfortable enough to do that with watercolors on board
Good points Allan. Thanks. I just want to avoid a future issue arising if I submitted it for a show, but I guess I couldn't control that anyway
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

You may have to use the 'mixed media', or 'other' category when entering it as I have not found any art show/festival that has scratchboard as a category. I have been able to get it into festivals by including it under the acrylics category (I do acrylic paintings primarily) and when describing the technique for acrylics I have put 'acrylics on hardboard, canvas, or water color paper'. Those are my supports that I use for my paintings and that pretty much sums up scratchboard (to me if they ever ask, lolol). Of course, I do have to have the paintings there too to make it work under acrylics.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Scratchboard as defined by ISSA on our website...
Scratchboard Art is a 2-dimensional, subtractive medium that involves the use of abrasive tools to directly remove a surface layer of one value (typically dark) to expose a secondary layer of a contrasting value (typically white).
The majority of the values within the artwork should be achieved by varying the amount of surface layer that has been removed or left.
Reapplying of transparent mediums over the initial scratching is permissible, but the integrity of the underlying scratching should remain visible.
Works may be color or black and white.

In regards to Harry's comment?"..."Why is scratching and adding inks classified as scratchboard, but adding watercolor or acrylics is mixed media?"
What it is colored with, is irrelevant and as long as the scratching is the most predominant thing about the piece, it is not considered mixed media.(in our society's eyes)

We really considered long and hard about defining scratchboard. Just because works might be done on claybord and may have a few scratched highlights in it, does not make it a scratchboard. Artists also scratch highlights into watercolor/oil/acrylic paintings, but that doesn't make them a scratchboard/piece either.

The whole point of starting the society is to promote scratchboard and scratching as a fine art medium. It's the scratching (however it's done) that is most important, because that's what we are all about.

Sue...that's exactly what we are trying to change so whenever you (or anyone else) comes across this within your art groups, it's up to you to educate them and ask that they add scratchboard as a medium. It's not drawing, pen & ink, mixed media or paintings...it's scratchboard. Direct those in charge to view the ISSA website...most just haven't heard of it before and don't realize there are a lot more of us out there.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM
A Local Legend
Martha's Vineyard, MA

Hails from United States

Lorna, your comments clarify a lot. I guess we will continue to struggle with such questions until the medium is better known.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Lorna, I do it every chance I get. Believe me, they have heard about it, lolol.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Terri, I just wanted to say how much I liked your pic. She certainly has a little meloncholy feel about her and your color choices, blues and purples really help carry the atmosphere. You have very good feelings for your color application. Scratchboard or watercolor, it's a really nice pic.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Santa Cruz, CA

Hails from United States

How strange that I can not see the image and there are so many great comments - frustrating. But I noticed you said something about watercolor and others have mentioned watercolor in the past. What little I've done in color has all been watercolor and I have had no problems at all! Even getting my grubby hands all over it. Now I have not dumped a glass of water on the board of course. But I have used it as a learning tool because I thought it would be easy to start over if I wanted. But I have not wanted to start over! Obviously one would have to take precautions regarding the end product and archiving - mount behind glass or varnish blah blah blah . . . wish I could see your image. Maybe next time I log in.