Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Gamblin galkyd gel vs p Weber Res n gel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cat1lady

I just signed up for a workshop in two weeks and the supply list calls for both galkyd gel medium and res n gel. In my mind they are similar products. Are their
        purposes different?
        Thanks

Constructive criticism always welcome.

I have used a number of different alkyd mediums including the res n gel. I have not used the galkyd gel specifically, but, it probably is similar to some of the others I have used. Most of the gels tend to be very fast drying and intended for impasto work, so, will be somewhat stiff and will hold textures. I’m guessing the galkyd gel will be similar to this. The res n gel is different, however, and has a very smooth silky texture that works very well in glazing and working small areas wet in wet. I use the res n gel for this purpose. It does not hold texture like the other gel. Cas also makes a couple of heavy texture gels that have sand in them for added texture, so, there are different properties to the different gels out there to experiment with.

Example of ‘textured’ gel use on small work. (2.5×3.5 inch)
        s and tends to level out slightly.

example of res n gel use on the mane only to get the look of individual hairs. The rest of this painting used Liquin impasto gel or none at all.

:wave:

[FONT="Tahoma"]EquiArt-n-More ... Stylistic Realism in Oils[/I][/B]

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE [/CENTER][/COLOR]

cat1lady

Thanks for the response. So, I guess I will buy the res n gel, I already have the galkyd gel but never really used it.
            Your paintings are very nice. I can’t believe all the detail in that ATC-sized little horse.

Constructive criticism always welcome.

I think if you are taking a course that lists both, it is best to take them and learn to use them if you really want to get the most from the course. If it was listed as an either/or, then just pick one, but otherwise, you might miss out by not having it. Just my thoughts on the matter. Thanks for the compliments on my art! :)

[FONT="Tahoma"]EquiArt-n-More ... Stylistic Realism in Oils[/I][/B]

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE [/CENTER][/COLOR]

[slb]

I am very fond of Gamblin paint so was interested in their Galkyd gel, however it is a purposefully slow-drying extender, which I am not interested. I was very happy with Res-n-gel at the time anyway and continue to use it, the consistency is excellent you will find mixing it compared to liquin impasto is almost night and day. Pebeo heavy gel is also superb consistency and dries paint quicker than any other gel extender I’ve used, but costs a bit more.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • The topic ‘Gamblin galkyd gel vs p Weber Res n gel’ is closed to new replies.