WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 09:21 AM
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland
Couple at a pub

Hi, Here is a painting of my friends and musicians having a good time at a pub in London. Oil on canvas, 60 by 90 cm or 24 by 35 inches; Lukas 1862 and Old Holland oil paints.

This is painted from photo taken when we made a trip to London in 2015. This was a rather dark and spooky place but friendly with lots of beer branches, I think somewhere near Kings Cross Road. I changed the background a bit, moved the interiors around and added the wall light to suit the composition. I painted in some background people who are their favorite musicians, ― from different periods, as the oil painting is to some extent timeless in many ways. My idea was to paint the background more loosely than the foreground, but still that the background people would be recognizable.

All comments and thoughts are much welcome, related and unrelated!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Couple at a pub

Such a clever piece of nostagia. Well composed and painted!

Btw is that Frank Zappa on his own on the right.?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Raffless, thanks! ― Yes, this is Zappa. Good catch!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 12:35 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Great concept and execution!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 06:39 AM
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Thanks Alan!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 06:43 AM
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

The guys at the long desk are members of King Crimson, a progressive English rock band which has been playing for half a century. The female bartender, who is making a shot for the singer, is also related to King Crimson since she is from their *Heartbeat* video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N27rSAdu20

The handsome young man to the very right (behind Frank Zappa) can be, if you like, one of the many who have played in King Crimson, but is actually the undersigned at a fine age.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Should have got them as well Halvik. King Crimson Frame by Frame a classic and Radiohead were inspired by them.(as you may know already).
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Excellent and eye-catching detail on every part of the painting. The composition is quite commendable. Plenty to look at but not taking away from the subject. Nice work!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2018, 10:08 AM
A Local Legend
Hamilton NJ

Hails from United States

Very well done.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalVik
The guys at the long desk are members of King Crimson, a progressive English rock band which has been playing for half a century. The female bartender, who is making a shot for the singer, is also related to King Crimson since she is from their *Heartbeat* video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N27rSAdu20

The handsome young man to the very right (behind Frank Zappa) can be, if you like, one of the many who have played in King Crimson, but is actually the undersigned at a fine age.

Very well done painting.

Just saw King Crimson in Huntington NY. Amazing. Three drummers! Fripp as the stern master wizard in the corner so he could keep an eye on everything. Not exactly the warmest most personable lol (they didn't say a word during the entire time), but wow. What really struck me was the complex fascinating layered rythyms and the improv jazz type style they had at points. And Zappa was the real concert I ever saw, some forty four ! years ago. So your painting speaks to me .

Last edited by john : 03-10-2018 at 11:04 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2018, 07:06 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

An intriguing picture to wander around in.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Raffless, bhindi, Bill, John, Harry and Alan, thank you so much for your kind comments.

Raffless, yes, King Crimson played a leading role in this music genre. ― Frank Zappa was very versatile musician, most people know him as a rock star, but in his later years he also composed orchestral works. In the painting he is writing down some musical ideas, and no beer on his table, he was a nondrinker.

John, you describe it so vividly that it is for me to be there; and you've noticed that Fripp had everything under control!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2018, 06:17 PM
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

I’m actually a bit surprised that I wasn’t criticized for making the shirt so awfully busy. It is controversial, but I actually had some arguments for it, first of all it is his taste, and secondly I found that it helps balancing the picture. The baroque diagonal of the foreground table leads the eye to the right (if this line was horizontal it would be static) and something has to balance it to the left. Maybe just my eccentricity though.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2018, 06:33 PM
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Here is the painting at an early stage. Umber base, the darks and some of the transparent midtones already done. I marked the grid lines on pieces of masking tape which I can take off and put back in if necessary when the paint is dry. I mark the lines permanently on the sides of the canvas with a thin technical pen to be able to restore the grid lines on these pieces of masking tape whenever necessary. This way, there are no grid lines on the canvas, which can be a problem in transparent areas.

The presentation and unveiling takes place on July 7th. I painted this mostly last summer and fall, then irregularly (only thin layers left), mostly completed before the beginning of the year. Occasionally very thin layers after that with Liquin Original (an alkyd based medium); and then if I used Titanium White in a mix I switched to Griffin Alkyd Titanium White for fast drying (when the previous layer had been drying for months) in order to be able to varnish the painting before the ceremony. Hope I'm right about this. What do you think?