WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2018, 10:16 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Mar. 2018: optional "green" theme

Still snowing in my area, so I'm inside
A still life with some green outside
16x20 oils on canvas
From life
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2018, 02:12 AM
Enthusiast

Nice, Boogiechile! I enjoy all the books you put in your paintings. Also, I like the cast shadow of the cup and spoon on the surface of the table.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2018, 05:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Grotius, I happy to hear you went out to paint plein air. Is this your first plein air for this year? It's very good practice with lots of light.

Boogiechile, you don't want to paint snow plein air?

I thought to practice to paint snow since I have a good chance for it still. Weather is nice, not much sunshine, the location is excellent for plein air, some snow falling so needed umbrella which was disturbing a little but I've done worst plein airs without umbrella so it didn't have bad effect to the result of painting. People passing by with skies were looking at me like they couldn't believe what I was doing, they usually think I'm shooting or something

The following plein air is from Friday. I'm posting picture of the umbrella also, I still need to arrange it better but it must do for now. The weather was so warm that i couldn't believe I was painting the entire painting without gloves and didn't feel any cold. The second plein air is from yesterday and I did get frozen even wearing gloves and I think it's due to humidity, location is the same except I set easel tiny little bit forward in the path. The first one I did finish (some brush strokes more) at home and the one from yesterday is still waiting to be finished. There was some sunlight hitting snow in the second one for that reason you can see yellow ochre on the snow (thinking of giving it fixing brush strokes later). Might go once more this week to the same place because it's so nice to paint in fresh air. I like the second plein air better. Which one do you like better?

setup pic with umbrella:
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2018, 05:15 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Here's the 2nd plein air from yesterday, Monday. I forgot cad yellow home so I left dabs of imprimatura ochre on the trees, will add the proper green with cad yellow later. I was also very frozen in the end and couldn't move fingers that well so I packed my stuff and drove home but I did manage to get plenty of information.
edited: Forgot sizes:
the 1st one: 20x30 cm, oil on wood
the 2nd one: 30x40 cm, oil on wood

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2018, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

"Primaries" 12 x 16" oil on panel

Haven't been doing much plein air. Always seem to be busy right up until the point the sun goes down Anyways, I stayed up all night painting this one. I'm kind of happy with it. I have been trying to practice as much as possible because I have an art exhibit going on at the public library right now, 10 of my paintings are on display there for the whole month of March. Tomorrow, well, today at this point, they are having a reception for me and the other 2 artists that have art on display this month. I am going to be doing a sort of demo, and I'm going to be painting a portrait from life. I am pretty nervous about it, but honestly I feel more comfortable with the whole thing painting than if I was just standing around talking to people lol. I'm not the biggest people person. I like to talk while I paint, so at least this way I won't have any awkward moments where I don't know what to do with myself. The reception is 5:30-7:00pm so thats not much time to get a portrait going, well, for me anyways, but I'm going to get there early and try to start painting by 5:00 so I at least can try to get the drawing going before people start gathering.

Moscatel, I really love your 2nd snow scene. Beautiful. The composition just really "works" in my opinion.

The 2nd photo I'm posting is a flyer the library created to advertise my exhibit and I just wanted to share it with you guys.
Attached Images

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2018, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast

Moscatel, I like both your plein airs, but I prefer the second one. It has a mystery to it that I like a lot. Plus I think you did well to use the yellow ochre. Sometimes that color works better outdoors than cadmium yellow. I like the warm colors in the foreground of the second one, and I'm glad you chose to omit the power line, lol.

I have an umbrella that looks like that: a "Bestbrella." It's more like an "Okaybrella" in my opinion, as it's a bit fragile, but I like it.

I admire your bravery for getting out in the snow to paint! I've done so once or twice, but I don't last very long -- I get cold and retreat indoors. I need to find better gloves. It's my hands that complain first.

T1, major grats on the library show and demo! Holy cow! That's just great stuff. I hope you can get in a nap before the event! Let us know how it goes. I'm really impressed.

Plus "Primaries" is a real nice painting. The complex reflected light on the ferrules is awesome. And I see you had fun composing the piece: those paint tubes are partying, lol. Good job!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2018, 04:43 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

T1, I hope the portrait painting demo went well. Your exhibition is looking so good with gorgeous paintings. They decorate the library to a new look for this month. I also like the name "Living Color" it perfectly describes your paintings. I like Primaries a lot, composition is good. I like how you have the table in a slight angle and not straight. Colors are rich and clean and you have nice distance there created by the objects. Beautifully done! Thanks for giving your opinion about my plein airs!

Grotius, thanks for commenting and your opinion which one you prefer. I have now three "votes" to the 2nd one and 1 "vote" for the 1st one. Thanks for your vivid and kind comments on my plein airs!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 PM

Hails from United States

Geoff, great that you got outside, nice!

Moscatel, whoa, I'm getting cold thinking about you out there. That's d** good painting, especially with gloves on!! I like the way you move the paint around.

Eric, those brushes are really, really well painted.

T1, congrats on your show. Beautiful still life's!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2018, 01:02 AM
Enthusiast

I had a messy but interesting start to a portrait in life class today. Fortunately, it's a two-week pose, so I'll get another shot at it next week. The model has unusually large eye sockets, and I had trouble making myself paint them the right size. At the end of class, the instructor suggested I locate the left eyelash and nose-tip and work from there. Just fixing those two things improved the likeness 50%. I hope I can improve things more next week. "Ode to an eyelash," oil on panel, 11" x 14."

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast

I've wanted to paint some of the local auto-repair shops for some time now, so I went out and did this study of one of them. Unfortunately, I was looking right into the sun -- contre jour, as they say. It's usually easier for me to paint at a right angle to the sun. Also, I did do some thumbnails, and I wish I'd stuck with my initial plan, which was to make the auto-rack (barely visible on the left) the main focus of the picture. It's more interesting than an office building, heh. I'll try next time.

Incidentally, I haven't been very good about adding green to my paintings this month, but at least this time I sketched a few trees.

"Study of an auto shop," oil on panel, 11" x 14."

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Grotius, interesting plein air! I think in this case it's hard to leave part of the building out, I understand why you painted big part of it. To add more auto deck I think you might have needed wider support. I've been to similar situation more than once! Plein air is full of surprises, you never know how things turn out. That's fun of it, we can only control so little of it. I find nice brights - reminds me of Sorolla - in your painting. I like the overall color, composition and the car in front makes this piece special.

Good work done also with the 1st sitting of the model.

Boogiechile,
thanks!
The weather is getting warmer every day for more plein air.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

hello to all busy artists,
a joyous shout to you good folks to celebrate Spring Equinox and the return of light even to arctic regions. we had +5°C today and i ventured out for my very first plein air 2018 . there's not much finished in this study, this took 2,5h and the action shot doesn't help either but i'm just so happy about it all here's some sunshine coming your way. had i been more experienced there would be horse tracks on the road - talk about COI.
best wishes, moody scenes and clear skies to you all!

Name:  20180320_202839_LLS.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  238.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2018-03-20-20-55-16-1.png
Views: 98
Size:  523.6 KB

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Ronsu, that's a very fun picture! I especially like the shadows of the trees stretching across the road. I tend to make shadows like that too dark. You got them just about right. Also I like the hints of warm light in the foreground snow. The background is appropriately cooler, though I wonder if the distant trees could be cooled down a bit more. Then again, I like the way they contrast against the sky, and I especially like the gradations of value in the sky.

I hope there wasn't a lot of traffic. I get nervous painting on the side of the road. What if a driver doesn't see me?

Anyway, I'm glad you got outside to paint, but wow, 5 degrees C is still pretty chilly. Good for you!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

thank you Grotius, your teaching skills are a blessing.
the bg trees had this beautiful coolish brown-purple front row (birches) but my last green addition-mess obliterated it. i'm doing that scene again, from scratch.

only a horse with sulky with the neighbour on it went by.

every weekend i look forward to you portraits. i hope your classes never end!

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2018, 10:59 AM

There's not much green around here yet, except for grass, and the weather has been colder and wetter than I prefer for painting outside. However, I did manage to get out with a plein air group a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping to capture some Japanese magnolias in bloom, but the only trees that I could find were in the backyards of people's homes and I didn't want to trespass. So, I painted this view of a gnarled old tree beside a yellow house, about the only spot of color in the area. Hopefully the weather will finally warm up and quit raining so I can paint outside more often.
Attached Images