WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 04:00 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... March 2018

Marcia...Congrats! and good luck...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 09:43 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Heh, Delo...you mean you sleep and eat? When I was doing architectural design, I sometimes woke up in the middle of the night with a solution - found in a dream - for the design problem I'd been working on. I'd get up and work for an hour or two and then go back to bed. I still can sometimes work too long into the night - I've been working this evening on a class project. The danger is I can get too stimulated and then not be able to sleep.

Well, truth be told, I only manage sleep and food because my wonderful wife reminds me to stop. I do the same thing, waking up in the middle of the night and heading to my easel with compositional shift that works better.

Delofasht
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

When I painted it usually was all night, and then whatever amount of the day it took to finish..why alla prima works so well for me.....once I start I have to finish..Guess that is being in the zone...did take occasional meal breaks...I still prefer painting at night...fewer distractions I guess.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:37 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Thanks for your concern Annie. I will just do it the way he wants and let the CPA sort it out when he does the taxes, just like every other year. He reads lots of books with titles like 'How to Outwit the IRS' and '10 Weird Tricks to Avoid Paying Taxes', and passes this 'knowledge' onto to me.

Only 3 weeks more....

I solve painting problems in my sleep sometimes, but not to the point where I get up in the middle of the night to make the correction.

Unlike Becca or Delo, I can't do marathon sessions, or paint at night. When I get back to painting, I have to rebuild my stamina and concentration, but after a few days I am painting at least 4 hours at a stretch. I love how oils let me put my brush down, go have lunch, pick up mail or make a phone call, then pick it all up again an hour later.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

I'd rather paint during the day. My new house came with low watt yellow lights and all the rooms are dark. I can't see like I can with my daylight lights. I just need to buy more light for my art room
When I travel I take my watercolor with me. Now that I'm home I was back to my oil. Now I need to go back to watercolor because my most my Blick order is on backorder and I need my oil paper Oil will leak through the watercolor paper and collectors like the thin paper to put in baseball card albums. I should get it this month.
I don't like shifting back and forth. They are different and I try to do my first few oil like watercolor or watercolor like oil and mess up the first few.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Marcia: I only do marathons when I am face painting.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 12:54 PM
A WC! Legend

Mary, trying spraying Bin Shellac (available at hardware stores and walmart) on watercolor paper. That is what a friend of mine did before oil paper became available.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zinsser-B...dzPppnuVbdy8RA
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Thanks, I might try that.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 03:05 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Delo, your wife certainly does sound wonderful. Why don't I have one of those? Life would be so much easier!

mary, you can gesso paper to make it OK to use with oils. There's even a clear gesso by Liquitex, if you have a paper that's especially pretty. The painter Mitch Albala has instructions on his blog about how to do it.

Marcia, I didn't know there was a CPA involved and that should leave you off the hook.

Tomorrow is my weekly painting class and although I've gotten a lot done, I still have a ton to do. The purse thing led to me being way behind, well, even more behind is more accurate. It's just been one thing after another zapping my energy and time all this past year. I need to turn the corner...

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-07-2018 at 03:13 PM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Annie, sounds like you need to get yourself a wife then! Obvious solution A good one with help with replacing items from a lost purse for ya too!

Marcia, thanks for reminding me. . . added to my list for my next stop at the local home improvement store, forgot that it was in my lost box of art stuff recently.

Mary, I do that frequent switching between mediums and getting my approaches mixed up as well. I find some nice little "on purpose" looks to my work from it sometimes though.

Delofasht
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 04:28 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Heh...Delo. Yeah, wouldn't someone like that (actually, it would be a male person in my case) be marvelous for these issues. But then, in my experience, that would create a whole host of other issues... After all, I'd actually be the wife in that situation. :sigh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
When I get back to painting, I have to rebuild my stamina and concentration, but after a few days I am painting at least 4 hours at a stretch. I love how oils let me put my brush down, go have lunch, pick up mail or make a phone call, then pick it all up again an hour later.
I'm going to have to start thinking that way, so thanks for suggesting an approach, Marcia. My issue is not enough space though, so if I put my brush down and come back from lunch an hour later, chances are very good that Pearl will have walked through my palette or knocked over the cup of oil. And, I'm a slow painter, so all the painting paraphernalia stays out in the open and makes all life in the space seem chaotic. Do you have suggestions for dealing with this, perhaps?

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-07-2018 at 04:30 PM.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

One of the things I like is having a large kitchen, because that's where I paint. I had been sitting in my chair, with the easel facing me. Then I found I had to take a lot more steps back to analyze my painting as I worked.

Now I've moved the easel to face the long part of the kitchen, this time with no chair, and find I'm getting a lot more accuracy into my paintings because of having moved eight feet away almost automatically. Because I'm standing up, with my palette on my left arm, the cats don't bother the painting.

Annie, in the past, Oklahoma City has had warehouses and other freed-up buildings for artists to have space to work separately, but I haven't heard anything about it recently. I wonder if, in a large city like yours, there might be some available painting space, away from the cat?

My three cats seem to know to leave mama alone while she's painting. It might be from my not using a chair all that much anymore.

Delo, sometimes I envy male artists, because their good wives take care of all the household business while they work. My husband calls me "a world-class painter," which is flattering, but I'm still the person who has to take care of the household.

This was my first work with the new set-up, and it was wonderful to have all that space for analysis!

Last edited by NancyMP : 03-07-2018 at 11:22 PM.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 12:24 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Nancy, I wish I got to just stay home and paint. Until recently I held two jobs, one full time the other part time, and squeezed in painting when I did not have help with daughter, dinner, or household chores. I am exhausted just thinking about it now.

Delofasht
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 04:49 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Nancy, I really never thought about it before you mentioned it, but now I realize that Pearl is reasonably good when I'm standing painting at my easel, but not when I sit down to paint or work on art. So thanks for that - standing up it will always be from now on! But what about other supplies? One time Pearl walked right through the middle of a cadmium yellow pile sitting on my palette on my desk. I was absolutely in a panic thinking she might have had a chance to lick at it before I cleaned it all off her paws! I remember that painting, Nancy, but I don't think I ever saw the finish. It's very sweet. Seattle has been in the midst of a building boom for quite some time now. I've taken to calling it the city of cranes, because they're everywhere. So space is super expensive, and many of the old buildings have been torn down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Nancy, I wish I got to just stay home and paint. Until recently I held two jobs, one full time the other part time, and squeezed in painting when I did not have help with daughter, dinner, or household chores. I am exhausted just thinking about it now.

Delo, It sounds like your wife is as lucky to have you as you said you were to have her. When you mentioned the things she did for you, you should have also mentioning the reciprocity.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-08-2018 at 04:59 AM.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 06:38 AM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I stand or sit,depending on the size of the painting.I seldom paint more than thirty to forty five minutes at a time.I do that three or four times a day.I paint very fast so I usually get a lot done each time.I paint a lot of my painting with my fingers.Thats my story and Im sticking to it.