WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 03:34 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... March 2018

Mary...still mostly in the twilight zone...lol...for the time being in Portland.

Delo...thanks, Vancouver is in my opinion the most beautiful city...hard to miss with the photos...

I have nightmares too...and also have comforting dreams...guess there is a balance there.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 11:02 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

I had an Intuos 2 ages ago and loved it. I think I will like the Astropad even better, and it looks like it will work with my Nomad brush/pen (if I can find it). It will be awhile yet before I can try it all out.

So good news and bad news w/ BfH. Good news: I am free by March 31 (apart from assisting my replacement getting set up), so He actually took it pretty well.

Bad: I found out yesterday that one of the 3 companies he has, doesn't own all 4 properties it manages, but owns the commercial one and just manages the other 3, which he owns personally (perfect example of a 'pass through' company we have been hearing about lately). So we are having to redo the entire year's books for that company. And I am not sure how to categorize the 3 properties the company has been paying the mortgages on that it is only managing. Yeesh. If you can't make heads or tails of what I just wrote, welcome to my world. Until March 31st, that is. Then it is someone else's problem.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Delo, That's funny. I've never tried to whistle in my dreams.

Nancy, now I'm trying to remember what my other kids did when they were young. One baby I watched tried to stick a fork in the electric outlet so I put covers on them but I don't remember my youngest daughter trying it. She's an electrician. Then my youngest son might have stopped up the toilet but I don't remember. He's a plumber. I used to like to create things. Make my own paper dolls and doll clothes and I may have learned to crochet before I started school.

Becca when you show your art let me know where. I might be able to see it. Portland's a big place.

Hello to everybody.

It's hard to say something without complaining about something and I'm trying to give up complaining for Lent. That's not working very well. Neither is trying to be humble and not talk about myself. I've been talking about my friends but I'm not sure if it is good I'm bragging and un-humble or if its bad I'm complaining. I'm hopeless.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 12:32 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia..sorry for the snag...

and Mary if anything should go to exhibit I'll let you know...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 03:19 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Delo, thanks for the feedback. I actually hadn't been looking for a digital tablet when I found the Wacom, so the disappointment is minimal. I searched for the Intuos 3 model you suggested on ebay and craigslist, but they were way, way more than I'd want to pay for such a device. The only local seller had a large one for $460. No way! I'd far prefer to spend my money on paint and canvas.

Becca, you sound like me with nightmares/good dreams. I seem to remember them more lately than in years past. Wishing you a rapid return from the twilight zone.

Nancy, enjoy water aerobics. And you should also learn to enjoy other people doing stuff for you like repairing the eaves. No matter how much energy you continue to recover, isn't it better spent on painting?

Speaking of things digital though, I just recently found an android app that's absolutely amazing. It's called Magic Poser ( https://magicposer.com ), and it offers a digital figure on the screen that you can easily manipulate into any position. And you can also adjust the lighting to come from any direction. The amazing thing is that all those features are in the free version. The paid version adds the ability to manipulate groups of figures, to save and download already created figures from the cloud, and other stuff. Since my current painting is based on the figures, and the life drawing poses were 5 monutes each - not enough time for me, with fairly minimal life drawing experience, to complete anything more than a line drawing, this is a godsend. But I'm also thinking of changing the figures to make them devoid of all detail but color.

Marcia, congrats on your upcoming freedom, but it sounds like tBfH may need a tax attorney to make a call like that. Why put your own reputation at risk if you guess wrong?

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-05-2018 at 03:36 PM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Nancy, enjoy water aerobics. And you should also learn to enjoy other people doing stuff for you like repairing the eaves. No matter how much energy you continue to recover, isn't it better spent on painting?

Good advice, Annie! I think my problem is that both my mother and father grew up on farms, where they learned to do everything! Now I know I can't do everything, but it's hard to resist when that was how you grew up. I'll look around and see if I can pay someone else to do it.

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 04:34 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy, glad you won't be renting any scaffolding soon....much more sensible to hire...

Annie...maybe out of the Twilight Zone with one foot anyway sooner than expected...but then can never be certain...

the app is cool...hate it only uses mannequins, but interesting still...have to say I still lean toward live models...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 11:44 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

I will be finishing up the grant shortly.

Annie, thanks for the link to that software. Between that and the one that Delo linked to, I can see loads of possibilities for experimentation and practice. Last year I had some ideas for paintings that required putting in make believe figures, but couldn't figure out a way to get them into the picture and look the way I wanted. Now I think I can do that.

As for BfH and his business, I will continue doing what he stubbornly insists on, because soon, it will be Someone Else's Problem.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 07:01 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I got a kick out of Garfield this morning!

https://garfield.com/comic

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 PM
A WC! Legend

We had a few days like that recently.

The Grant application is in.

BfH asked me to come pick up the laptop and file folders, so I guess he wants me to work from home tomorrow. Also got an email from the office saying he was asking about 'asset adjustment paperwork'. I have no idea what he wants.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:58 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Nancy, I didn't grow up on a farm, but as a child of depression-era parents, was taught to conserve stuff when it was still useful, and somehow also, like you, have learned through the years to do things myself whenever possible. In my case, these are things I need to unlearn. It's silly to spend prescious making an time consuming clothing repair that may or may not be successful (even on a favorite dress), when what I really want to do is paint.

― Sir Thomas Browne

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Taking your advice, Annie! I've been painting tonight - I thought I would go ahead and make my "gessoed" panel into a big cloudy sky, with even more paint, since it's already got bumps. Since I need to take some time to let all the thick paint dry, I'll likely be on it for a while.

I've noticed that when I'm painting, the world is so lovely. Maybe that's why we're all so addicted to it!

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 10:25 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
I've noticed that when I'm painting, the world is so lovely. Maybe that's why we're all so addicted to it!

So true, and it almost saddens me when I have to stop to eat. . . Or sleep.

Delofasht
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 11:29 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Delo - we're all addicted to the best thing we can be addicted to!

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 02:18 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Becca, yes, live models certainly are better, but this is a way to continue painting after a session is over. I have several unfinished figure paintings that I didn't think I'd ever be able to finish, but Magic Poser may offer a way.

Marcia, Congrats on the grant!!! Oh that must feel good! I'd still maybe write a note saying you'll do the research and make the call, but recommend he get an opinion from a tax attorney. You don't want to be blamed later when it all goes awry. It just sounds like CYA territory to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
So true, and it almost saddens me when I have to stop to eat. . . Or sleep.

Heh, Delo...you mean you sleep and eat? When I was doing architectural design, I sometimes woke up in the middle of the night with a solution - found in a dream - for the design problem I'd been working on. I'd get up and work for an hour or two and then go back to bed. I still can sometimes work too long into the night - I've been working this evening on a class project. The danger is I can get too stimulated and then not be able to sleep.

Nancy, you're right though, what better addiction can there be? Glad you had a chance to feed it today.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-07-2018 at 02:41 AM.