WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 09:23 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... March 2018

Marcia, I think I fell in love with the cat who's buried in paper work -what a precious little face!

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 09:37 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Here are a few of the photos I took in Vancouver...as you can see the weather turned on me at the most inopportune time

Name:  vancouver1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  262.0 KB

Name:  vancouver2.jpg
Size:  148.4 KB

Name:  vancouver3.jpg
Size:  145.8 KB
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 09:40 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

And here was part of tonights sunset...

Name:  sunset.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  97.8 KB
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 11:00 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Yeah, Nancy, I know what you mean. But as I mentioned to you a while ago, we may think we're forgetting, but the real problem is that we aren't really paying attention in the first place. The article was inspiring for other reasons for me, as I really want to start painting on a more regular basis and it encourages that. Maybe I should do a GoFundMe for studio space, eh? Heh...there are so many other things I need much more, really. What a kind friend you have.

Becca, those are gorgeous! Is that first one the art museum? You really have a good eye for photos.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-03-2018 at 11:38 PM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

OK, here's a WIP painting I've been working on for quite a while.

DON'T LAUGH.

It's a class assignment, which as usual, I've turned into something way more complicated than what was intended. As I look at it, it strikes me that it's kinda like Hughie O'Donoghue meets Hironymous Bosch meets David Park. It's not finished. There will be glazes that push many of the figures back into the background, kinda like clouds or mists covering them. I used acrylic, which means it's taken me even more time than my usual pokey pace. Quite a departure for me...

I revised and revised, but the photo still doesn't really look right - no matter what I did the saturation was off, and there's something weird with the texture. It's like it evened everything out in a strange way, so its fuzzy and you can't see the veils of color. Oh well. Remember, it's not done - I have more work to do on the figures and have to add the mists - but I'd love to hear what you think...

Edited to add: Heh...a couple of those figures have torsos that became way, way too long as I worked...gotta fix that!

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-04-2018 at 12:00 AM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 01:56 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie, yes the first is the art museum/gallery...they feature contemporary works as well...at this time they are featuring a Japanese artist...thus the colourful tentacle tarps...I didn't have any free time to see the exhibit but heard it was wonderful...

your painting does have loads of little figures...look forward to seeing the glazing effects.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 02:54 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Annie, yes the first is the art museum/gallery...they feature contemporary works as well...at this time they are featuring a Japanese artist...thus the colourful tentacle tarps...I didn't have any free time to see the exhibit but heard it was wonderful...

your painting does have loads of little figures...look forward to seeing the glazing effects.

Heh, Becca, yes, lots of little figures. And right now, they don't seem to relate well to the rest of the painting. Here's the Hughie O'Donoghue painting that was a large part of the inspiration, so you can see the direction I'm trying to go with it:

I think that there's a lot lost in translation, and perhaps the many figures that were part of the assignment don't work as well as the single one in the O'Donoghue painting...well, not perhaps, It should be definitely. His painting is simple and the composition works much better. I just got really excited about O'Donoghue's work, and I just finished reading Art & Fear in which the authors essentially encourage copying for new artists as a way to learn...so away I went. Excellent book, BTW. I may be able to pull something off if my idea about the misty glazes works, but if not, I have to say I've had a lot of fun doing it and learned a lot too, so c'est la vie, I guess. Who knows, maybe I'll borrow his technique of pasting something onto the canvas, and cover up all the little figures with just one larger one.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-04-2018 at 03:04 AM.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 09:41 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Annie, glad to have you posting again, and I hope your stolen items have been replaced at this point. That is an awful feeling, to have your things taken from you. And we rely so much on having crest/debit cards and IDs with us at all times.

I am not sure exactly what the assignment was, but I can see that you were feeling less than inspired when it came to the figures. Not that they are badly done, but they are lacking 'something' that is conveyed on the rest of the canvas. maybe it is because they are all on the same plane? Dark paintings are hard to photograph, I think the camera doesn't know quite where to focus. A tripod always helps. I love that O'Donoghue painting! Thanks for sharing that link with us, the article looks really interesting. I read Fear of Art years ago, as well as the War of Art.

Becca, the photos of Vancouver and Portland are stunning. The Art Museum looks like a very good one!

Nancy, hurray for thoughtful friends with linen to spare! Your silly putty idea is a good one too. Keeping muscle tone is so important, even where we don't think about it, like our hands.

New Simon's Cat, it is their youtube channel's 10th anniversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faYA_upR_a0
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 09:42 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

The O'Donoghue is very dramatic and benefits from the monochromatic effect, but I kind of like all the little figures...

and as for copying...have done a little, found it to be the simplest paintings I did because there is no concern in figuring the composition or colours...but I know many who swear by it...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 09:44 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Morning Marcia, and thanks...Yes the Gallery is very grand...there was some debate this past year about taking it down for a new structure, glad it seems it will stay...as it is...they did remove the old fountain from the courtyard...mistake I think...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 09:54 AM
A WC! Legend

Taking down grand old structures is always a mistake, I think. Retrofit if you must, but modern architecture is so bland and heartless, someone is just fooling others into thinking newer is better. We can no longer afford to pay for people who can carve and join, and that is where the heart lies in old buildings. Pouring concrete into a mold, to make it sorta look like someone cared enough to make something lasting and beautiful, just isn't the same.

I learned a new phrase last week; 'Brutalist Archetecture', which is a very apt description.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 09:57 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Yes.. so true...Vancouver is a very modern city, and the structures are stunning... but it benefits from its few relics from the past...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Nancy your son sounds like my oldest. He was playing cars with my husbands shoes when he could crawl then moved to pushing the chairs around when he learned to walk. Now drives a train for Union Pacific.
Becca, I still haven't figured out if you are living in Portland or Vancouver.
Annie, I hope you find your purse. It is hard to get replacements for some of the things you need. When someone took my husband's wallet a few years ago today he is still trying to get ID replacements.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 06:24 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Mary, I guess some babies are just born knowing what they'll do when they grow up!

Water Aerobics tomorrow! I need to go three times a week. I couldn't do that last week because I had to stay home for the guys who were replacing our roof. Now I need to find a place to replace my eaves, which look twice as bad now that we have a beautiful roof!

(I could probably do it myself if I could just get my strength back!)

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 11:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

AnnieA, while it's fun to find a very low price tablet, it's unfortunate that Wacom ones are very finicky with their stylus. They made a ton of stylus that were compatible only with very specific models, even their store has no pen purchasable. Finding a match for that might run that 35$ you found. Sadly, the value of those Bamboo tablets is pretty low though, as they don't have a very responsive stylus, limited buttons, no rocker bar or wheel, no tilt sensitivity (something I've come to value rather highly though many people aren't even aware of what it is).

Given the opportunity to have started all over, I would grab an Intuos 3 from Craigslist or Ebay (with the pen), and go to town. It has all the features I mentioned were missing on the Bamboo and so much more, it was the best most stable product Wacom made.

Becca, love those photos of Vancouver. Really great shots of those buildings, I even like the one in the snow.

Nancy, hope the strengthening goes well. It is most distressing being unable to do things that one used to be able to do easily.

Which reminds me of one of my most frightening nightmares actually, a few years ago I woke with a start. So much so that I woke up my wife, and she turns to me and asks what's wrong, "I can't whistle anymore!" my response was evidently funny. Seriously, worst dream ever, couldn't whistle in it, wanted to, but simply was incapable of blowing air across my tongue through my lips to make a simple tone!

I whistle daily now to make sure I still can.

Delofasht