WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 01:18 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... March 2018

Delo, that is some beautiful work, and your daughter is lovely!

I need to make a trip to my gallery today, and then take my son out for dinner - this is his birthday. I told him he could pick the eatery, so he's driving and will pick me up. I easily remember when he was a tiny baby, because now he's about twice as big as me!

Meanwhile, I'm still sanding my bumpy gesso panel. I'm thinking of putting an outdoor spring scene on it, so that any bumps left will look more natural.

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 07:25 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Happy Birthday to your son Nancy...hope you are enjoying dinner right now...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 07:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Thanks Nancy, she is a good kid too. Guess I am doing something right at least. Good luck with your gesso sanding, long process that (I like gritty, grainy surfaces).

Marcia, interestingly, I picked up an app for my iPad that lets me use it as a touchscreen tablet for my Mac. Meaning that with the Apple Pencil it is my own personal Cintiq that is also a portable tablet. The app that allows this is called Astropad.

Becca, thanks and yes, digital is a good tool for sketching and can even get some really finished work done on it for online clients. Honestly, though I have not gotten nearly as many of those orders as I would like, but probably because I have been poor at marketing that.

Delofasht
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 09:07 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht

Marcia, interestingly, I picked up an app for my iPad that lets me use it as a touchscreen tablet for my Mac. Meaning that with the Apple Pencil it is my own personal Cintiq that is also a portable tablet. The app that allows this is called Astropad.

Cool Beans! Thanks!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 10:19 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Back from a lovely dinner! My son has been crazy about cars since he was a baby, and he still is. He works for an auto shop and he has a collection of 16 cars and trucks at his house. I'm always surprised when he picks me up because it's usually a car I haven't been in before.

I'm just glad he's older now - when he was a baby with us in the car, he would keep shouting "truck" in a grand cry, like it was the best thing in his young life. We tried to keep him quiet because he couldn't pronounce the "tr" in truck, and kept using a different way of pronouncing it, which was a bit embarrassing.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 12:18 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Delo, good luck in the future with the marketing...and yes, my weakest skill..

Nancy...glad you had a good time tonight and lol on your noisy baby son..
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 12:46 AM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP

I'm just glad he's older now - when he was a baby with us in the car, he would keep shouting "truck" in a grand cry, like it was the best thing in his young life. We tried to keep him quiet because he couldn't pronounce the "tr" in truck, and kept using a different way of pronouncing it, which was a bit embarrassing.

Thanks for the laugh! Glad you had a good time, your son sounds like an interesting guy.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 09:49 AM
A WC! Legend

Happy Caturday Oilaycats!!!

It took nearly 2 weeks, but the car loan was finally finalized yesterday, one of the things that was making me run in circles was nearly daily trips to the credit union. The grant is as far as I can go until I meet with a director Monday, so that leaves the BfH's pile (actually it is 2 banker's boxes) today. I am not going to say it will be over tomorrow, but my fingers and toes are crossed that it will be.

And a gallery reception at 5 pm this evening.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 10:30 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia...hope that flicker is the light.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 10:41 AM
A WC! Legend

Thanks, me too!

Good luck with your paperwork too!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 12:35 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks...have most wrapped up from condo sale...some will carry on for months before completion, but the biggest hurdle is crossed...have moved on to other issues, but this cold or whatever has slowed me down a bit...taking a break and likely need to postpone til I can make a few calls the first of the week..big deal for me today is hoping to get to the grocery for a few essentials...haven't been up to it the past few days.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 12:47 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Stape…I also hope you don’t combust! Sounds like a busy time.

Marcia, good on you for giving yourself the present of a road trip. Love the way the chimnea is decorated - will you barbeque in it? Love the bird photo too - it’s begging to be painted. Is there a common name for the bird?

Nancy, I hope those gessoing problems are solved. I have sometimes needed to thin mine and add more coats. BTW, I know you’ve frequently mentioned that you’re “forgetting” how to do various painting things. So here’s a blog post I happened upon that might explain that: The Art Life: Momentum vs. Inspiration and the Creative Practice https://blog.mitchalbala.com/the-art...tive-practice/

Delo, Hi and nice to see you again. That’s a gorgeous digital painting - the color is perfect and your daughter is beautiful. I had a trial copy of ArtRage years ago and just loved it. I’d use it now but it was for Windows, which I no longer use. It really is the outstanding digital graphics program in a crowded field of competitors. Some of what it did can also be done with GIMP, though. There is a lot of info online about digital marketing for artists. Here’s a good resource page. http://artisttrust.org/index.php/for...resources#cat5

Speaking of digital stuff, I found a wacom tablet at Goodwill a while ago. It’s an older one, a Bamboo Fun, CTH-461. I can sorta use it with a fat stylus that I happened to have, but really need a pen, which wasn’t included with it. I paid $1.79, so even if it doesn’t ever work, it was worth it for an old copy of Photoshop Elements and some other software that I’d like to try but won’t ever shell out the money for an up-to-date copy. But I wonder if either of you, Delo and Marcia, could suggest an inexpensive digital pen/stylus that would work with this tablet. So far the only replacement pens I found specifically for the model I have are about $35, and I’m not certain playing around digitally is worth it to me to pay that much. But Delo, your portrait makes me very tempted shell out for one! Anyway, if either of you have a recommendation I’d love to hear it (the tablet has a pressure sensitivity rating of 1024, which is a little different, apparently, than newer devices/pens). [b]Marcia[b], what is the Nomad? I thought only Wacom pens would work with Wacom tablets.

Nancy, I loved that story about your son when he was little. Best wishes with the panel.

Marcia, I’m glad the BfH problems are finally coming to an end - you’re almost there! The “buried in paperwork” pic is priceless! Best wishes at the reception - do you have paintings up for sale?

I need good paperwork wishes too, since a little while ago my purse was stolen, and I’m still in the process of getting things straightened out again. I’m pretty much recovered now, but it really got to me for a while.

In the meantime, I’ve got a lot of painting to catch up on. Wish me luck!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-03-2018 at 01:30 PM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 03:33 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Annie, that's awful about your purse being stolen! I hope you got it reported quickly. It reminds me to be very careful; I've got into the habit of not using cash, and just using my debit card everywhere. But that's even more dangerous because of the amount that even a card could be used very quickly.

I hope you got it reported fast enough to keep anyone from using it!

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 05:33 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Annie, that's awful about your purse being stolen! I hope you got it reported quickly. It reminds me to be very careful; I've got into the habit of not using cash, and just using my debit card everywhere. But that's even more dangerous because of the amount that even a card could be used very quickly.

I hope you got it reported fast enough to keep anyone from using it!
Thanks, Nancy. You don't have to worry about your bank cards since there are stop loss programs on every one of them as far as I know. As long as it's reported to the bank/credit union either before there are any fraudulent charges or within a certain time period, the financial institution itself covers any losses.

Yes, everything was reported and that aspect of it is all under control. But there still are a hundred little details that one just doesn't think about, so it's still creating waves of problems. This too shall pass...

What did you think of that article I linked for you?

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-03-2018 at 05:35 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 09:17 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks muchly, Annie! Now that I'm getting old, I'm terrified that my mind is going, but the article you sent reminded me that if you're away from painting for a spell, you're likely to make a mistake or two if you're not careful.

I sat with my best friend while she was on gallery duty Friday, and she was so sweet that she offered to let me have one of her bulk linen pieces to repair to replace my foolishly gessoed piece. We're the same age, and she says she has days like that, too - all I need to do is go over to her house and she'll cut the right size for me to take home. What's also neat is that she always buys linen, which I usually don't. I might fall in love with linen and end up buying it in bulk like she does. We both have fairly weak hands, and I told her she needs to get a jar of silly putty, which I've been using daily to exercise my hands and get them stronger. I might just pick up a jar for her on the way over.