WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
(Off topic) Congratulations to the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge!

Wasn't it a lovely Wedding? I thought it was as simple as a Royal Wedding could be...yet with a touch of Pomp & Circumstance to satisfy the country's needs...quite intimate really...and as much for them as it was for us! I wish them well!

What was your favourite part of the proceedings?
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: (Off topic) Congratulations to the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge!

What wedding?

We had our circus... er... royal wedding last year. Just as Will captured some new healthy genes from the commoners, our Vicky got a man of the people. So romantic.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 02:18 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

It was really quite beautiful. My favorite part was when they drove off in the Astin Martin - they were so adorable! My second favorite part, when he kissed her the second time! So much fun, you guys know how to throw a wedding!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

I was so happy Catherine chose Alexander McQueen by Sarah Burton. Totally fitting and "young" British. Perfect.

Actually my favorite part was a group of women holding up a sign saying "Marry ME Harry!" I personally find William a bit boring, but Harry....
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuas2
I was so happy Catherine chose Alexander McQueen by Sarah Burton. Totally fitting and "young" British. Perfect.

Actually my favorite part was a group of women holding up a sign saying "Marry ME Harry!" I personally find William a bit boring, but Harry....
Know what you mean!
I like the car too....but that dress was so beautiful.....and I liked hearing that William chose a chocolate cake that his mum used to make for them! Awwwwww, she'd have been so proud of her boys!

Well, I didn't miss a thing...wore my new glasses...and a posh hat (Wound up my husband a treat! ) even put 9 union jack flags up in our upstairs room so they could be seen!! And was glued to the screen the whole time! I love a good wedding! My friends daughter is getting married tomorrow...arranged before the Royal one! Then my granddaughter in June....and my youngest daughter in November...so lots of practice!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 07:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I'm so in the wedding mood that it just seemed very fit that the whole of the UK was celebrating a marriage, too... Our son marries next Friday.

I'm still shopping for the prefect dress or skirt and found myself looking at all the lovely clothing as the camera followed the bride down the aisle. Hm, nothing exactly my style, but some beautiful, tasteful clothing to be seen. Odd for me to be even noticing such things, as my friends will attest, but there you have it.

Favorite part: the little bridesmaid holding her ears and grimacing as she stood on the balcony in front of the kissing couple. Typical kid! But all in all the children did so remarkably well, don't you think?

God bless this marriage.
Gouache Blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

And it didn't rain either!!! I loved to see the open coach with the Welsh Guards on their horses going down the Mall. To me that's quite a sight. My Mother wasn't impressed with the quality of the Hymn singing in the Abbey. She couldn't understand why all those people could not raise a bit more of an enthusiastic rendition. I have to say I agree with her (though she is very deaf anyway, lol)

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:50 AM

Hails from England

I think the key players were amazing...so polished! The only detrimental opinions I've heard were that the music was too safe...I ask you...is classic too safe? No...it's classic and suited the tone of the wedding, which was simply about two people in love, becoming one...in front of friends, family and nations!

It couldn't have been more perfect in my view....and as for the Middleton family....you'd think they were born to it....each one played their role superbly, and with a quiet dignity that was inbred....the Royals will not be so reticent next time they look for 'new' blood to add to the line...the standard HAS BEEN SET!

And yes Ruth...the weather boded well for a happy marriage....sunshine at strategic times!
That happened at my own wedding too....in Jan 1970...it was snowing...but the sun shone as I entered the church...and again as we left...and we've now been married over 40 years!

Deborah...I know what you mean re wedding clothes...I haven't found mine yet either! But your need is even more urgent...what are you doing reading this...you should be out shopping for your outfit!! You can't go in your dusties!!

Last edited by *Deirdre* : 04-30-2011 at 07:00 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2011, 05:40 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

Oh, and I forgot....the Battle of Britain formation fly past. As the daughter of a Conscientious Objector I have no idea why the sound and sight of the Lancaster bomber moves me so much.............

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast

Back in 1979 my then fiancee and I were privileged to be in London with our college choir, learning about English church music, and singing in various cathedrals (Chichister, Ely, St. Albans) and attending services at Westminster Abby, King's College and St. John's College. We sang "I Was Glad" by Perry, so when Catherine was walking down the aisle to that marvelous, glorious piece of music with that fabulous organ playing, I had the sound system cranked up and the tears were streaming down my face!! It was absolutely a spiritual experience for me - all those thousands of miles away. Yes, I could have sung the hymns better than those in attendance as I knew them all. Loved all of the descants and free accompaniments on the organ on the last verses of each of the hymns. Truly, the music was just divine, and there is going to be a CD made of all of the music by DECCA and available on itunes and you can be sure it will be on MY iphone!!! It was truly a lovely service, and I think what was so lovely about it (other than the music) is the fact that William and Catherine are so obviously in love. As it should be when two people marry. It is unfortunate that Charles and Diana did not have that same kind of love. Anyway, you Brits do know how to throw a wedding!!! What girl would not want to walk down such an aisle in such a dress to that marvelous music??!! It was really a fairy tale come true.

Lynn
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:21 PM

Hails from England

Ruthie...I think we all have that feeling of pride in what was accomplished, no matter how you came to be there.
Lynn, reading of your experience and knowing how the music made me feel, I can only imagine it was 10 times more for you! It was beautiful, and touched the hearts and minds of most of the onlookers, whether there in person or watching on screen.
It was such a wonderful day for so many....and will be remembered.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello
missed all that - no tv hookup, old computer, ah well ...
glad to read you all enjoyed

and my best wishes to those of you with weddings in the future and a toast to the happy couple

Ed :}
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Hails from England

Thank Ed...and - just for you....I found this version, if you have a spare minute!¬!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:10 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

It was lovely and they both looked so happy. I got up at 3 am to watch it. I was there for Charles and Diana's wedding and all that exitement. I do hope Will and Catherine will make it and have a long and happy marriage. They seem very grounded.

C & c's always welcome
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Hails from England

Jen....that's what I call dedication!! 3am! Wow! I know you enjoyed it...and they do look grounded - very much so! I hope you were able to catch up on some much deserved sleep!