WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#211   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2003, 02:49 AM
Enthusiast
South West Florida

Hails from United States
My name is Jill B ---So I just reversed it.
  #212   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2003, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada
My great-gramma's name was "Markusina" so with a little artistic licence i changed the K and added an i although I guess the original name would have been just as good!

Marqui
  #213   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2003, 04:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill J

You're a girl??????????????

Love the story of Biki.............

Thanks everyone, you're great.
  #214   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Immortalized
Outside The Box that is Melbourne

Hails from Australia
This is a creative thread sometimes
  #215   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2003, 12:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Kenosha Wi

Hails from Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill J

HUH???? If you are Jill you need a new tinyhead LOL
Alan
  #216   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2003, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States
I have an illness: Non Epileptic Seizure -- a cousin to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Along with it comes depression, and anxiety/panic attacks. There have been several moments where I felt like I was dying or wanted to die, especially during episodes.

I felt a nick which could portray my state of mind in an artistic way would be cool. Months previous I had been playing a song on the piano to help channel and release built up rage and other emotions. The Song is "Ritual Fire Dance" by Manual La Falla. A song filled to brim with dynamics and usually sends my wife out of the room as it makes her feel nauseous from the pounding. In one of the parts of the music it instructs the performer to play -- morendo -- which is literally translated "dying" in italian and is to be interpreted as the the music should fade gently away. or even dying away.

A perfect nick IMO, for someone who is depressed and wants to just fade away. Even the nick is obscure because the majority of people on this site do not speak italian and wont recognize what the name means. But, alas, now you ALL know.

Art and WC! are good therapy for me.
  #217   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2003, 03:36 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Byron Bay NSW

Hails from Australia
Hi Morendo

Art is indeed great therapy.
I was listening to a radio segment where a lady with bipolar disease was talking about her life & struggles. She eventually took up painting which changed her life & she is quite famous now. I actually didn't catch her name, but she was famous enough to be on ABC radio.

I am a great believer in positive thought & how it can heal & influence.

I would change my nick name if i were you.
How about - Adagio .... or Grazioso .... or Legarto. ? - if we are talking Musical terms.

We all need as many positive spins we can find.

cheers

biki
  #218   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2003, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States
Biki: You had a lot of good things to say and I appreciate your reply. I feel a need to comment on something you said above:

Quote:
"I would change my name if I were you"

I saw this thread several days ago and wanted to mix in and share my story, but wasn't sure how it would be received. Today I decided that I would go ahead and tell my story and share something personal. I took my chance and it was my decision.

From your response I suspect you feel that my name is ill suited.
Although your musical terms are notable, none of them connect with who I am. That's just me. If you haven't listened to "Ritual Fire Dance" by La Falla -- please do. The piece is very engaging if performed as written. That piece of music has become a part of me. It's just like discovering a powerful work of art that moves you and you can identify with it. Thus, I can identify with "morendo". It is who I am.
  #219   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2003, 10:15 PM
Byron Bay NSW

Hails from Australia
Hi Morendo

No - I have not heard that piece of music. I must tho.

I do hope you didn't take offence at my comments. I was just thinking that a more positive nickname might help you move along out of your illness.

For instance, my brother has laukaemia. He has just been thru his second round of chemo & none of us know what is in store for him. There is little we can do to help except remain positive.
For my part, I have done a portrait of him looking strong & healthy & I set him in a scene of his most beloved mountain range - a place he may never be able to climb again. I wanted to "will" him to be well again, and this was my way.

However, let me say that I actually really like the name Morendo.
I has a nice sound to it. You have me intrigued now to hear that music. Can you recommend someone who performs it well.?
( apart from you, i am sure)

cheers ( see you on chat?)

biki
  #220   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2003, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States
biki,
I have a faulty memory. The composer's name is "de Falla" not "La Falla" First name Manuel. maybe by tomorrow I can post some links to some cool links of the song. I am wondering if I should post it in a new link so as not to detract from this thread.

Thanks
  #221   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2003, 11:11 AM
My Island Home

Hails from Australia
Ahhh G'day......

Sometime in my youth I enjoyed making up words, 2 that I recall being 'newerage' and 'pistolution" (create your own definitions! ). I was also a big fan of the movie Psycho, and the song Psycho by the Sonics, and also another song of the same name by the Beasts of Bourbon and I named my guitar "Psycho".

Confused? Bear with me

Many years later I began toying with the idea of having an arty businessy thingy, and was creating words to describe it....

Ergo, Psycho + art, with a bit of juggling, became Psycheart which I really LOVE as it contains psyche (mind & spirit), heart, and art; which, if you add music, pretty much sums me up!

Some people in the Cafe interpret Psyche as Cupid's mistress and assume I am female, but I have just checked and I am definitely male, and you can call me Pete if you want!

Love and Peace,

Psy
  #222   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Styria/Austria

Hails from Austria
I have it on my doorbell tooo..
  #223   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2003, 12:11 PM

Hails from United States
I've used this nick several years ago, after I dressed as Elvira one Halloween. I'm not actually a spooky person, and might be better suited by another nick. However, it was what came to mind on the day I registered.

Last edited by spookygirl : 11-29-2003 at 12:14 PM.
  #224   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast
Heidelberg, Germany

Hails from Germany
Just my first Name and the initial of my middle name. I don't like so much my middle name, but I like the letter Y... I didn't check if just Anne was still available...

Anne.

My Artist Trading Cards gallery
My photos in the Reference Image Library (French alps, cows, a few other places in Europe)
  #225   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2003, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hails from Argentina
Jijo is a given name by my brother long long ago, while he couldn't pronounce "Jalito" (given name by mom). both still remain active given names in the family environment and close friends, plus Alex,

Alex