WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany
Paper to paint Gouache on

Hello everyone working in Gouache,
That is not so important, but of some interest to me, though: These have been done on very cheap typemachine paper.

No, sorry! No examples attached or even linked, it's impossible to upload them (?!?) (Help!... And I've posted pictures already in WetCanvas and all over the Web...)
One did come through, though, on my previous post "Trees in watery Gouache". It's not representative of real Gouache work (and overwork!...), but it's done on the cheapest paper possible and still white!

I find that most of the time Gouache works out much better and smoother on cheap paper or packaging cardboard than on high-class art paper. I might be the only one here, but I never find any advantage to paint Gouache on Watercolour paper. I'm always astonished that other artists do that. For me it never works. Basically the paper sucks up the pigments and the delightful creamy texture of Gouache deep down and leaves up the whity chalk on the surface of the artwork. And it slows down and hinders the brushwork awfully. I'm convinced that's the point where Cousin Gouache and Cousin Watercolour radically differ one from another. What do you think?
OnLine Comics mostly painted in Gouache: http://yka.comicgenesis.com/

Last edited by YKA : 12-13-2009 at 07:21 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States
Re: Paper to paint Gouache on

Well, I can't endorse using cheap paper or cardboard for anything of value. I don't find that quality paper stock gives me a chalky appearance or are more absorbant than cheap stuff, just the opposite actually. What brands of watercolor paper are you using?
My Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2009, 06:43 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Dear David, all kinds of very good Watercolour paper, coarse, matt, kid finish, very thick, thin, best cotton quality. And these for years.
Pretty good handling happens when working on pencil & ink line artboard like Strathmore 400 or 500 bristol matt. Like used by architects, industry draftsmen, cartoonists. Of course these don't suck up the colour inside at all. The drawback, they get quickly totally corrugated because they're just not made to bear a watery medium in high quantity.
Of course I'm aware that cheap type machine paper is not a very good solution at all, especially if you want your work to still be looked at in 150 years. And of course, they don't bear much watering or overworking either.
OnLine Comics mostly painted in Gouache: http://yka.comicgenesis.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
East of Eden

After a lot of experimenting with flat papers I think I've decided that I prefer the cold press watercolor paper, because I paint a lot in washes, even in gouache. I also mix gouache with watercolors and inks, and those more transparent media work much better IMO with the textured watercolor paper. I use Canson a lot, and Arches if for some reason I want the smoother hot press.

YKA, I love your cartoons!