WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
What is 500K or less in pixels?

Hi
I am trying to enter the FW competition on line, am constantly rejected when uploading image. Am told to "Please select a valid JPG image 500K or less in size"
I am in JPEG and reduced my image size several times and no go.

So how do I do it and what does "k" mean in pixel size or inches
Your help is appreciated
Thank you
Les
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Re: What is 500K or less in pixels?

K is referring to the actual size of the file- as in kilobytes (KB). So, you need to make sure your image file is less than 500 KB in size.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Blabus
Thank you, that is a start, however how do I alter what it is to what is required.
On the image information, it reads:- on disk 16k in RAM 206k and then total 207k
I would have thought that below 500k and acceptable, but perhaps i need to make the image 500k.

Instruction requirements does say 500k or less in size.

Any further help appreciated
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2009, 12:04 PM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States

Look in your computer where you have the image stored and check what the directory is saying for the file size. For Windows, just use "My Computer" or Windows Explorer, and though I don't use a Mac, I know you can find the same info. If the file size is less than 500k (k=1,000 - "kilobyte") it should be okay, unless the specs for the comp also give an image size of so many pixels by so many pixels which your image also must meet.

File size and image size are not the same thing. You can have an image that is 500 pixels by 500 pixels and have the file size be any of many different sizes, due to varying quality (compression) levels in jpgs, among other reasons.

Ray
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Oldthumbs, Thank you kindly, looked things up, think I learned a bit twiddled about and somehow something worked and I have been accepted.
Thanks
Les