WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Immortalized

Re: Stormy Weather

Those treasures are spectacular.
And the smooth stones are beautiful.

What a place to live! I'd be in heaven.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2008, 01:18 PM

Sephie great photos of that artists artifacts. And great photos of the stormy weather again. I like the person walking in the fog Really like the fishing traps those weaving on them are great. The second pot seem like a work of art in its self. fishermen have to spend a lot of time maintain there gear.

Quote:
Your mum must be some woman! I just looked at the map to find the Bering Sea and it looks quite a challenge! What does she fish for? Does she use an ice-breaker?

She usually work on crab boats as a cook. And other types of fishing at other times. And most boats that go out of the bearing sea Dutch harbor are icebreakers at times. lol

You island seems very rocky. I wish we had more rocky shoreline. its mostly miles of beach. Across the river in Oregon it gets more rocky.

What you going to do with the driftwood? I collect it and carve all sorts of things in it. The winter storms will bring fresh driftwood.

Here a couple more shots from around here.

#63   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Immortalized

I have to stop frequenting this thread. It is creating in me a paralyzing desire to travel to the ocean.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Hails from United States

Had to share these amazing photos of Mt Ranier in Washington State. Head over to KATU.com to see them.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Immortalized

cool
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Green
It's a little dark for photos sephie, you'll have to use your imagination. I'll head down the coast on sunday and see what I can find

Clive,

Not so. See 'noctilucent clouds' below (when I post them ) ............and there's always lightning, if you're quick enough

Looking forward to the coast pictures

A couple of years ago I got up in the middle of the night to go down to the coast road to greet a high spring tide and winds gusting to hurricane force.

Took my little camera and wouldn't have missed it for the world (though thankful for any bus shelters still standing ). I have strong memories of that night, but little else, because I didn't have the lighting. I felt better when photographer friends later said that I would have needed a whole bank of studio lights to catch what I could see on film.

Just to admit to failures, here's all I could get, but I did record the
insane roaring of waves, wind and rocks moving, It never ceased. A kind friend manipulated the photos I took to stand in for that bank of lights

The sea was being blown right over the houses on the left. Non-stop horizontal rain blizzards.

No one's getting to see the photos I took of myself once I staggered in through my front door again after a few hours in all that!

Cheers,

Sephie
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDL
Those treasures are spectacular.
And the smooth stones are beautiful.

What a place to live! I'd be in heaven.

I have to stop frequenting this thread. It is creating in me a paralyzing desire to travel to the ocean.

But you *will*

(Sephie hands Sandy a walking stick, a map and a compass)
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Hi Josh,

Quote:
Sephie great photos of that artists artifacts. And great photos of the stormy weather again. I like the person walking in the fog Really like the fishing traps those weaving on them are great. The second pot seem like a work of art in its self. fishermen have to spend a lot of time maintain there gear.

Glad you're enjoying them as much as I enjoy yours

You're right about the fishermen. Our shores are littered with stuff lost off boats in storms, including torn nets. I wish we had some of those amazing glass floats you find. Here's something that lost it's way after a winter storm. I had to drag it up the beach to save it being taken away on the next tide.

Quote:
Your mum must be some woman! I just looked at the map to find the Bering Sea and it looks quite a challenge! What does she fish for? Does she use an ice-breaker?

She usually work on crab boats as a cook. And other types of fishing at other times. And most boats that go out of the bearing sea Dutch harbor are icebreakers at times. lol

My mum was a cook too, for rich people who like the best in simple home cooking. She wasn't much of a sailor though, and remembers being dreadfully sick on the evacuation boat when she was young.

Quote:
You island seems very rocky. I wish we had more rocky shoreline.

We're basically just a chunk of granite with a dusting of soil on top and sand dunes to the north. No one has basements here; it costs too much to blast them out

Quote:
its mostly miles of beach. Across the river in Oregon it gets more rocky.

It's the difference that makes me like seeing your photos so much. It's positively exotic, and I believe you have eagles too

Quote:
What you going to do with the driftwood? I collect it and carve all sorts of things in it. The winter storms will bring fresh driftwood.

I know exactly what you mean. Beachcombing is my favourite activity, and it's so exciting to go down after (or during) a storm so see what gifts the high tides have brought in.

I collect driftwood compulsively. Because I don't like ornaments I usually just drape it around the place with all kinds of other beachcombings in between. I have plans for doing something more creative with it come my freedom in June. I do have a couple of tippers on the go with some blackthorn driftwood I found. The trouble is that I keep on discovering unexpected soft areas that have to be cut out, which means the sticks aren't very symmetrical at present. I love whittling away but I only have a utility knife. Could you recommend any good makes of carving tools? I'd like to get the best.

And could you post any of your driftwood art here? Driftwood *is* storm-related, and I'd love to see it.

Quote:
Here a couple more shots from around here.

Your photos are great. I love those days. All hints of raw siennas and endless shades of grey. You can really feel the weight of those clouds. And the colours of the sun striking off those grasses contrasts so well against the sullen sky.

Do you plant those grasses to keep the dunes in place, or do they grow there naturally? We plant marram grass to stop the storms eating the sand away. I walked here after a storm and it looked as if it had taken bite marks out of the dunes. Marram grass is no match for a gale with destruction in mind............

Cheers,

Sephie
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Had to share these amazing photos of Mt Ranier in Washington State. Head over to KATU.com to see them.

Evildad,

Thank you so much Those are magnificent clouds (we don't get them here). I believe they've been responsible for flying saucer sightings in the past ;-)

I never get tired of cloud watching.

Here are some noctiluscent clouds which are so high up that they are lit by sunlight in the middle of the night.

http://www.atm.helsinki.fi/~tpnousia/nlcgal/nlcgal.html

Cheers,

Sephie
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Two more of rain storms just minutes away. You can smell rain on the air when it's that close, and the weather's holding its breath.

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

So quiet here at the café around Christmas each year

As I have the luxury of taking things easy, here are a couple more to look at over much-needed tea breaks (or coffee breaks, of course )

The rocks that make up our islands are some of the oldest in the world, worn and weathered into all kinds of marvellous shapes, and the tidal range one of the largest, which makes for great variety. It's rather like cloud watching; we see all kinds of images in the ever changing shapes.

This one reminds me of Arthurian Britain

Every wave creates a different pattern of shapes in the same rocks.

I posted this one before to cat1hat's very enjoyable thread about saving change (still searching for those hedge veg photos lost in the move <g>) but I thought it illustrated some of the wonderful rock shapes we have here.
I call it The Monk, but my daughter calls it the Nazgűl rock, an I like her vision of it much better

Renoir used to paint here. It's one of my favourite cliff bays.

Don't wear yourselves out over Christmas. Take lots of breaks, and remember, if you have any snowstorms, get your camera out and share it with souls like me who never see more than a few flakes in the air before it melts on the warm earth

As I write, there's a gale roaring around the house and down the chimney. It will have died down by morning. And Clive, I concede, you're right. Sometimes it *is* too damned dark to take photos

Cheers,

Sephie
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Ah me. Here I am posting to myself again New Hampshire has lots of weather, but lacks the means to post photos, as yet. But I'm not downhearted as a storm petrel whispered in my ear that there's been interesting weather elsewhere, and photos of it on the way

Daughter initiated a rainstorm and low tide party two days ago. Three minutes out of the door and we were soaked (showers not nearly 'isolated' enough, in my opinion. And aren't 'showers' supposed to have visible edges? )

Note to self. Finally *buy* those waterproofs that have been sitting on shopping list for two years.............and wellington boots too. But when wearing many layers of clothing I've discovered that the one closest to the skin holds a layer of *warm* rainwater, so it wasn't too bad really

Daughter has always loved running around in the rain, so we laughed a lot, especially seeing the expressions on drivers' faces when they saw us soaking wet and having fun. Few pedestrians out that day.

We headed down to the area where my ancestors lived and fished from (near Le Roque Noire where the steamer went down).

First we had a lovely squelchy walk through the lanes (these are two-way, so cars have to back into fields if they meet head on ).

Daughter took this picture as we both love the way rain turns bracken that rich burnt sienna colour:

As soon as we reached the beach the hail arrived. Sitting like eggs in nests, leaving pock marks in the sand.

Grandfather's cottage on the left, surrounded by an interesting mix of newer houses now:

Daughter took this one on our way back through a beautiful old graveyard (the chirch spire seen from the shore). Ancestors are buried here.

The church is built on a hill just feet away from this Neolithic burial site:

There were still perils ahead as many roads had flooded. I held up hand and made cars halt so we could cross the pavement without being swamped. They were pretty surprised, but seemed to see the humour in it. I know how to protect my cub

Got home. Threw clothes on radiator. Threw selves on couch with hot chocolate

Hope you're all keeping warm out there.

Cheers,

Sephie
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Guernsey, Channel Islands UK

Hails from Guernsey

This is an irresistable thread. Haven't been around Wet Canvas for far too long, but just had to post here. I swear, I recognise some of those stormy vistas too!
Here're some of mine.
I had just been given a scrumptious Nikon DSLR (no expert I assure you) on my birthday and at the time there were the most tremendous storms hitting the island where I live. So out I went, clutching my camera and took these. I'm no expert photographer but I LOVE stormy weather (it scares me a bit too....) The smell of the sea, the spray in my face ( and on my lens), the taste of the sea-spray and the wild wild wind combined with the roar of the crashing waves, was EXHILIRATING, and these photos don't even BEGIN to capture that day.

Need more storms now!!! LOL
Loving reading all this thread!
MD
x

Fleur
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Europe

Hails from New Zealand

A rainstorm parked over my iron toof all night taunting me,

managed to take these from the home paddock as it fled over the mountains at first light

#75   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur
I LOVE stormy weather (it scares me a bit too....) The smell of the sea, the spray in my face ( and on my lens), the taste of the sea-spray and the wild wild wind combined with the roar of the crashing waves, was EXHILIRATING, and these photos don't even BEGIN to capture that day.

Ah Fleur,

You're a girl after my own heart

And how familiar it all does seem. Are we living on islands in parallel universes do you think?

Thank you so much for posting those fabulous photos. Please keep sending more and more and more

The weather is set a touch unfair today. What say you we both go out and trawl for distressed seas. We can compare catches tomorrow......and see which universe is the better one for stormy weather

Cheers,

Sephie