WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica
Stormy Weather

I'm not one for hot weather, sun or blue skies. Nothing makes me feel more alive than being out in the midst of a storm or gale. The moment interesting weather is forecast I'm out there (usually with courageous friend and daughter) heading for clifftop or rocky coast, and generally in totally unsuitable clothing (I have an evolutionary approach to childrearing )

So for anyone who also loves opening all your senses to the elements I'd love to hear your stories or see photos.

This is the kind of wave I try to catch:

And this is the kind of wave that usually catches me

(Forgive the point-and-click digital.)

We can only manage up to a force 11 or 12 max. here. I'm sure some of you must have much more dramatic experiences or photos to share.

Cheers,

Sephie

[Please note there is a sister thread to this one for paintings found here]

Last edited by Jon : 01-12-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: addition of link at request of thread starter
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Blackpool. UK.

Hails from England
Re: Stormy Weather

Speaking as someone who came home yesterday morning like adrowned rat after a walk in the park with Pol. You can have my share of rain.
Seriously though, I do love to be out and about no matter what. Anyone who has owned a Lab will know that it's a bit like taking an otter for a walk. Any puddle or open stretch of water and she's in it. So rain ain't going to stop her having her walk.
Must say though that I absolutely love the Autumn. A brisk walk in the woods with the dry leaves crackling under your feet is wonderful. Early morning skies are something else too. I took these up near Lancaster along the Lune estuary. It was glorious.

These I took on a trip to Anglesey. Not as dramatic as yours Sephie, but if the weather turns bad they can be.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they go."- Will Rogers

Last edited by Vyrt : 11-24-2008 at 05:09 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Good morning Bob

Quote:
Speaking as someone who came home yesterday morning like adrowned rat after a walk in the park with Pol. You can have my share of rain.
Seriously though, I do love to be out and about no matter what. Anyone who has owned a Lab will know that it's a bit like taking an otter for a walk. Any puddle or open stretch of water and she's in it. So rain ain't going to stop her having her walk.

Must say though that I absolutely love the Autumn. A brisk walk in the woods with the dry leaves crackling under your feet is wonderful. Early morning skies are something else too. I took these up near Lancaster along the Lune estuary. It was glorious.

Thanks so much for the photos, I really enjoy seeing different parts of the world through others' eyes.

Autumn is my favourite season too. And isn't it wonderful to get out hours before anyone else is awake. In Summer, at least, though I find nocturnal walks have a character of their own, especially with bat detector in hand But isn't it just wonderful to stand there alone and have a sunrise like that all to yourself

Pol's braver than an eco-warrior friend of mine. Some years ago, after days of storms, which left our common transformed by lakes in all the dunes, we went for a walk to explore. And this wonderful man who's risked his life many times at sea, and machete'd his way through South American jungles to save endangered species.......well.......we had to take a detour because there was a small pond across the path and he didn't want to get his shoes wet

Pretty much all our island dogs are semi-aquatic and I love to watch them swimming. One loves to stand in the shallows, stock still and all concentration, until he sees a fish and pounces. Never caught one yet, but is ever hopeful

Quote:
These I took on a trip to Anglesey. Not as dramatic as yours Sephie, but if the weather turns bad they can be.

You do know that I will now be expecting you to brave the next tempest and post proof of that

Here's my contribution for today. Hard to get a sense of scale though. Just imagine the waves as twice as high as you think they are and that will be about right.

(Force 9 westerly gusting to 10)

Cheers,

Sephie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Blackpool. UK.

Hails from England

Pol's braver than an eco-warrior friend of mine. Some years ago, after days of storms, which left our common transformed by lakes in all the dunes, we went for a walk to explore. And this wonderful man who's risked his life many times at sea, and machete'd his way through South American jungles to save endangered species.......well.......we had to take a detour because there was a small pond across the path and he didn't want to get his shoes wet

Poor guy. I suppose saving folks and having wet feet are two different things though. lol

Those waves are incredible. I really will have to take the trip to Anglesey to check out the winter weather. Mind you it's a two and a half hour drive and that's a long trip if the waves aren't playing fair.

This was yesterday at a nearby forest.

Oh and Sephie, those waves are something else. Wow. Pol would love them. lol

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they go."- Will Rogers

Last edited by Vyrt : 11-25-2008 at 02:10 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2008, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:

Those waves are incredible. I really will have to take the trip to Anglesey to check out the winter weather. Mind you it's a two and a half hour drive and that's a long trip if the waves aren't playing fair.

I'm addicted to this:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/..._pressure.html

Works much better than those kindergarten weather forecasts

I'm in love with your Newt. I'd love to see what it/he/she would do in a storm. Couldn't you take it along with you?

Quote:
This was yesterday at a nearby forest

When you said 'woods' before, I didn't realise you meant anything a lovely as those We lack room on the island for gorgeous old deciduous forests like that, but I'm planning to travel to Brocéliande one day....

Woods put me in mind of wild fungi, and I've collected those since I was a kid, so here are some gathered in December 1999 on a tiny island, where I was enjoying playing hermit. They tasted divine (look upon it not so much as off-topic, but as a lull before the next storm )

Here are three of my prey huddling together in fear (I left them, I just couldn't do it <g>)

And a few of their relatives amongst the six kinds of edible fungi I found that day....

Quote:

Oh and Sephie, those waves are something else. Wow. Pol would love them. lol

And looking at Pol, I imagine she would be far more polite than the long-coated dogs who seem to delight in testing out some centrifugal contest right next to the nearest human

(I can't believe that everyone else here is a fair-weather person. Whatever happened to that old cliche about the moody artist inspired by storms? )

Cheers,

Sephie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

OK, lull over

The winds that hit this tiny island kept us stormbound for almost a month, and the waves here eventually managed to wreck a long stretch of the harbour; huge stones littered everywhere and no boats in sight (for a solitary like me it was heaven ).

.........and the only other landing was pretty much out of use too

Here's a storm poem. Not perfect, but I find it very touching. I hope everyone here who loves the sea will understand why it moves me.

The Last Mystery

He knew that coastline - no man better -
Knew all its rocks and currents, like the veins
And knuckles on the brown back of his hand;
The leap-frog rollers and the tall tons that batter
Boat-rib and man-rib into grains
Of indistinguishable sand:
He had known them all since he could stand.

A shanty was his earliest lullaby,
The beach his back yard, flotsam all his toys.
He was admitted to the mystery
Of tides; read the wind's writing on the sky;
Could out-sail, out-dive, out swim boys
Older by half; was known to save
Many from the sabre-toothed, man-eating wave.

Knowing so well the temper of that coast,
And all the subaqueous hazards of the sea,
What voice, thought, impulse lugged him from his ale
(When every flag was fighting with a mast
And waves kicked bollards off the quay).
To match his Lilliputian sail
Against the wrestling muscles of the gale?

Only the lemming knows; his friends knew only
Boat-rib and man-rib littered the long shore
Many tides after. I declare he fell
Like a pearl-dazzled diver through the sea
To that last mystery on its floor;
Whose is the heart-beat under the swell
The hand that turns the whirlpool and the shell?

Jon Stallworthy

(In honour of my great-grandfather, a very poor fisherman who set out time and time again in his small boat (taking two other men) at the height of a storm to rescue the passengers of a steamer that had hit the Black Rocks. The waves were so high that the lifeboat could not make it round the coast and had to be slowly dragged across land by horses, and didn't make it in time. Sixteen were drowned, but he saved the rest. I wish I could have known him.)

Cheers,

Sephie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Immortalized

I envy you, Sephie.
Your island looks so wonderful.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Careful with those wild mushrooms. As the saying goes "There are OLD mushroom eaters and there are BOLD mushroom eaters but there are no OLD, BOLD mushroom eaters."
I am loving this thread. Makes me want to get outta here and take a brisk walk. Hey, I think I will, See Ya!!!!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDL
I envy you, Sephie.
Your island looks so wonderful.

You should come and stay one day (no charge ). You'd find plenty to inspire you here.

All visitors are currently banned as my daughter and I are fully engaged with some pretty tough maths/science exams for the next two years, but after that I can throw the books away and finally hope to clear my mind of left-brain concerns and finally indulge in endless art for the rest of my days

So consider it a future offer. But as a social solitary, I only ever allow one guest at a time, and I live a simple life (no TV, mobiles, car, etc.) So if you'd like to travel back in time a little to some wonderfully quirky islands, and need a peaceful retreat I'll be glad to show you round

Cheers,

Sephie
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelG1
Careful with those wild mushrooms. As the saying goes "There are OLD mushroom eaters and there are BOLD mushroom eaters but there are no OLD, BOLD mushroom eaters."

Well, now you put me in a quandry; I've always been bold, but do I admit to being old, just to make myself an exception?

Let's say I've eaten a large variety of edible mushrooms every autumn for a very long time, and have sometimes eaten some I can't identify precisely. Whilst I don't ever recommend that any one else follow my example, I never quite got down to using a microscope and chemicals to aid identification.

I devised the plan of learning the eight or so absolutely deadly fungi by heart, on the premise that any other mistakes would only lead to self-limiting gastrointestinal upsets or hallucinogenic phenomena. In all these years I've never even had a slight stomach ache, though I once experience the latter. But there again, I've always been very lucky

Do you like wild fungi yourself? I confess to being entranced by all kinds, aesthetically and taste-wise

Quote:

I am loving this thread. Makes me want to get outta here and take a brisk walk. Hey, I think I will, See Ya!!!!

I'm so glad you're enjoying it. Did you take a camera? I'm longing to see photos or hear stories from others......

Off to look for more photos. I'd like to find some that aren't of the sea, just for variety, but I'm so in love with those waves

Cheers,

Sephie
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

This is my favourite place to meet south-westerly gales. When the weather is calm, people come silently to a natural amphitheatre in the cliffs and watch the sun set together. I saw my first green flash here (except it was electric blue ).

Nothing but sea in this direction between here and North America

On a far less windy day than the one pictured here I took a singer/songwriter friend from England 300' up the slope to the left (ropes? what ropes? courage, fingernails and walking boots are just fine ) I love him very much, but he is a city boy, and it wasn't until he sent me a copy of the song he'd written to commemorate the occasion that I realised just how scared he'd been..........and the song also mentioned being cold, wet and hungry, so I think I was neglectful of his needs in my desire to share the view with him.

However, I do have a close friend who's a mountaineer, and he skips up piddling little inclines like that like a mountain goat, leaving me breathless behind him

Such energy in those waves.......

This is only a force 9, with sea spray thick as rain. When it hits 11 the whole sea turns white like this.

I wish I could give you a sensation of how it felt. Photographs seem to make all the waves smaller, and that static instant freezes the endless movement.

The taste of salt spray on tongue and skin...........sea-foam flying inland like snow...........every intake of breath so like ice that it strikes you alive..........the air moving so fast that you have to force your way through it or lie back against it.................and the constant roar of waves and wind so loud that you have to shout to a friend just beside you to be heard.

Adventures like these have been the most memorable with friends. All inhibitions gone. Just play and laughter and screaming out for the joy of feeling so alive, and the intense beauty of it all.

Still waiting to here from anyone else who has moments like that to share. I can understand if you don't want to share tornado moments, but there must be other kinds of weather out there apart from sun..........I look at the synoptic charts, so I know there must be Anyone out there from Iceland or the Faeroes? I always envy the isobars there packed like Moiré

Cheers,

Sephie (just waiting for the next gale and high tide )

P.S. Bob. I'm not really that strict about staying on topic (anyone is free to take it in a different direction if they like) so if you have any more photos taken at under a force 8, I'd love to see more of your part of the world.........and Pol enjoying it, of course Still enviously dreaming of those autumn forests.........
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

I hope you're all relaxing after a wonderful Thanksgiving

You won't feel much like moving, so I'll calm the waves a bit and offer this poem by Lilian Moore. I love its simplicity:

Until I saw the sea
I did not know
that wind
could wrinkle water so

I never knew
that sun
could splinter a whole sea of blue

Nor did I know before
a sea breathes in and out
upon a shore

Cheers,

Sephie
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Loveland, Colorado USA

Hails from United States

ok I'll bite!
I'm a cloudy, foggy, misty cold weather person that finds summer temps above 70 degrees intolerable. Autumn my favorite season by far and where are all those great sweaters we used to buy years ago? When I lived in England my friends there thought I was insane to love the English weather. (at the time I was a Californian) Indeed I had all of the brooding mysticism that embraced that type of weather - walking through bracken covered hills sobbing over lost love. What a drama queen! - ditched all that crap but I still would rather pass on sun and heat - give me candle light and hot chocolate & schnapps any day! Oh and those fabulous waves remind me of foggy days on the beach in California with just me & a bottle of wine - still sobbing over lost love of course!!! !! -PEA
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

I envy your surname! And what a heavenly place you live in. Talk about an
artist's paradise! And I know it's sandstone, but 'The Devil's Backbone'
reminds me of the way granite forces it's way out of the earth just inland
from the coasts here. I’ve posted a photo of both rocks and bracken for you.

It's the path to yet another wind-sea battle, just over the rise…..

I've always found that whole 'Wuthering
Heights' thing so seductive. I'm not responsive to the whole conventional
romantic thing (any man who comes bearing flowers needs to duck for
cover )The most romantic thing I ever saw on film was Mina's goodbye to
Dracula in 'Bram Stoker's Dracula'

Heading out into a gale on an old
wooden ketch, holding on at the bows, waves arching over, while said object
of desire was pitting his muscles against the wind to keep the ship on
course is about the most romantic thing I can remember. As we finally came
into harbour at the next island, we passed lifeboats coming out. But that
man was a tall ships captain and could sail through anything. Clumsy and
out-of-place on land, but he moved with a dancer's grace on his ship.

You gave me an idea. Since so many people seem to lack extremes of weather,
why not solicit stories and photos of any weather apart from the hot and
sunny kind? For instance, I hardly ever see more than a dusting of snow, so
a snowstorm photos would be wonderful

[I know, I'm pleading now. I have no pride; never had time for it ]

Pea. Thanks so much for joining in. It's so good to find others who run from
the heat o' the sun, but not the 'furious winter's rages'. If you have any
photos, I'd love to see them too.

We've recently moved house, and finally have a real fire. There's nothing
like coming home, salt-wet and shivery, to a flame-lit room, hot drinks and
an Irish stew on the stove after all that storm chasing.

The last photo is of a day of lesser winds (force six, north westerly).
The light turned everything to silver and the dog walker was having a ball with his pooch.

Cheers,

Sephie

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Loveland, Colorado USA

Hails from United States

I want to be on the trail in that picture! The Backbone is not so much a draw to me - probably would be if it were coastal. I walk it's trail twice a week, lots of deer, elk, occasional coyote, less common rattlesnakes, evidence of mountain lion but I've still yet to see one, (thank God) the bears hang out on our property since there's nothing to eat on the Backbone. A nice variety of wildlife but Colorado still averages over 300 days of sun a year. ! Damn! Last winter we had alot of snow and took many fairly magical photos but I'm technically challenged, maybe my husband could post them. I did recently buy a book on painting the elements - rare for me to look for any instruction at all on painting but couldn't resist! Thanks for posting all those pictures, I've enjoyed them!
-PEA