WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Lancaster, PA

Hails from United States
Re: Just curious.. How many people on a Mac here?

I'm a Mac user OS X (10.4.11)

Practically self taught. Go to your Iphoto Help and follow the tutorial. I go to help for all my (MAC) problems and usually can find the answers.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Mississippi

Hails from United States

My parents gave me a MacBook a year ago for my birthday. Before then, I had used nothing but PCs. Now I am officially a Mac convert! It is so nice to not have to worry about all those annoying updates that PCs have to have. Also, I haven't had to worry about it constantly shutting itself down at inopportune times like the PC did. The cost of a Mac is a little bit more, but in my opinion it is well worth it.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Hails from Switzerland

o yes!

i am a mac user for sure.
os x is a much more stable platform dan microsoft, no virus, trojan horses to worry about, easy to use, intuitive
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast
Savannah, GA

Hails from United States

I'm a convert from Windows (although I still have and use them for work occasionally).
A few comments...there's some big differences in how Macs and PCs handle open windows, and it's far better working on the Mac. For example, if you open Photoshop in Windows, you get a grey background blocking out all other windows. On Macs, you get a transparent background, and having other windows open are interactive without making them the active window (meaning you don't need to click to bring it to the front to scroll or zoom). Maybe that doesn't make sense without a demonstration. But it's a big plus for Macs.
Also, viruses and spyware aren't to be found on Macs not because hackers haven't tried, it's simply because of the differences in system architecture. Mac is certified Unix based, and has decades of the smartest programmers securing and tweaking how it's kernal works. Windows, well no need to explain.
I use Photoshop but have used Gimp (free opensource) and it's very powerful, so give that one a shot for doing your photo editing.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Louisville, Kentucky

Hails from United States

I am a Mac user since 1989 when they had that little tiny screen in the all in one case. I have the Adobe Creative series plus the last version of FreeHand which I loved. I am a retired graphic person and working on the mac was so much easier back then and as far as I am concerned still is.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 PM

For some reason I don;t seem to get any updates at all anymore. Every time I click on it, it says no new updates are available!!! I used to get them all the time. I wonder what is going on, or maybe what I clicked to prevent them from coming to my computer anymore.
I only has OS X 10.2.8 and right now cannot afford the $130 to upgrade. Oil has just shot thru the roof and i;m going to need to buy a tank of oil for our house. I cannot afford to freeze just to upgrade my computer unfortunately.
Anyone want to buy some nice quilt tops??? LOL... i tell ya, i cannot remember things being this lean, but i will check out the gimp thing...
I just figured out how to upload my camera to my computer.. i feel lucky to have done that. i;m not a very computer literate person and these computer things are a struggle to me. I much prefer something I can do by hand to something I have to do on the computer.
I wud get maybe a Dell, a notebook, but no, I wouldnt; be switching to PCs either. I find them irritating to use. I can open about as many windows as I like. They are just so much easier and a better machine and seem to last for years.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Athens, Alabama

Hails from United States

I'm a Mac Girl!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Middle of Nowhere, Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomemory
For some reason I don;t seem to get any updates at all anymore. Every time I click on it, it says no new updates are available!!! I used to get them all the time. I wonder what is going on, or maybe what I clicked to prevent them from coming to my computer anymore.
I only has OS X 10.2.8 and right now cannot afford the $130 to upgrade.

Greetings.

First of all, let me say I am a devoted Mac fan, have been since about 1988 or so, and Apple ][ before that, and in think in general for the artistic community, they are still the better choice, but I have to echo thoughts others have said - if you started on a PC and really are comfortable on a PC, stay with a PC. For all my die-hard Mac-attitude, computers are just a tool - use the right tool for the job.

But I was also a Mac Tech for 4 years at the #1 Apple service center in the country. So - for photomemory - Jaguar (10.2) is not really supported by Apple any more. I would expect Panther (10.3) to go the same way in the next 6 months or less, as Apple is really pushing to keep people current. I am still at 10.4.11 on a MacBook, and as yet don't feel a pull to 10.5. I want to give Apple a few rounds to get the kinks out. Currently shipping Mac systems will not support anything less than 10.5, so if you need a system capable of only running 10.4, you have to go the used route. But there are several reputable refurbished sellers out there (MacResq is one), or a PowerSeller on eBay is usually a safe bet, as they will warranty against DOA and such.

Not sure that helped, but here's looking forward to Macworld on the 15th.
- Byron, Childe Harold, Book 3
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2008, 03:57 PM

OH.. i was wondering why i have been getting no updates on anything at all. it's cuz of my operating system. Thanks for answering that mystery.
Yeah. i just thought we had few hacker problems (We stil can get some, though) just cuz there were so few of us... so why shud the hackers even bother, when they can infect millions & millions. Never realized that the UNIX system was that hacker-proof and the Mac engineers were so smart. Another thing to be proud of as far as Macs go.
I love them.. I just wish I didn't have to spend so much to upgrade. Their programs are all more expensive, a downfall, but they do run so efficiently.
Your PC are always crashing, you can only open so many windows, while we are almost limitless in that regard.
I think Macs are more tolerant people. We don't put down the PC people, like they do us! And look how Apple made that Ipod across the board for ALL platforms.. Did the first MP3 players do that for us Mac people! No way!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Middle of Nowhere, Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
I just wish I didn't have to spend so much to upgrade. Their programs are all more expensive, a downfall, but they do run so efficiently.

Actually, if you compare a Vista upgrade to a Mac OS upgrade, to get anything useful from Vista costs at least as much or more than the Mac upgrade. Also most of the cross-platform programs (Office, Cinemda 4D, Poser, Photoshop, etc) cost the same regardless of platform. Of course, that is still too much, but it is not a Mac issue - it is a software vendor issue, and a starving artists issue.
- Byron, Childe Harold, Book 3
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
Vancouver, BC

Hails from Canada

Mac user since 1991 or somewhere in that area. I'm a graphic designer/prepress technician by trade, and I'd be happy to never touch a PC again.

I'll hopefully be buying a new 24-inch iMac in the near future. At which point, the 3-year-old 20-inch I'm using now will be shunted into my bedroom for watching movies and listening to music. I thought about just upgrading the system software, but I need to run Adobe Creative Suite 3, and it's a gigantic memory hog. I've got 2 gigs of RAM on the current computer, but I'll be able to put 4 on the new one. The nice thing is, the new computer should cost 700-800 bucks less than this one did 3 years ago.

howyadoin?
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Sacramento, CA

Hails from United Kingdom

Mac's and PC's are almost identical since apple migrated to PC hardware and dropped their propietary hardware for PC.

Upgrades are more expensive for the Mac than the PC and you have fewer choices. It's a real shame, but restricting the mac users choice has some advantages in that apple can control what you put in your system making it more easy to get fairly decent compatibility.

The PC still holds it own for 3D, but 2D there is little difference since Apple switched to Intel.

It just comes down to which OS you prefer and whether you want to pay an extortionate ammount to upgrade your video hardware.

Off the shelf macs are underspecced in the graphics card department, and because mac version of PC vga cards are locked in the bios and firmware you can't just stick in a PC video card even though they should be compatible.

You can even run OSX on a regular PC now with a little technical knowledge, our coder at work runs OSX on her Sony Vaio to test cross platform compatibility on Win, Mac and Linux.

I think at the end of the day it just comes down to what your comfortable with, I use PC's because I'm a game developer and the mac does not have good industry support for 3D, especially for game development.

Plus I like PC games

Last edited by Adriantmax : 01-27-2008 at 05:19 PM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

Hi, I used Illustrator & Photoshop & a Wacom graphics pad for several years on my PC, then finally upgraded to a Mac a year & a half ago. Took me a while to get used to it, but I do find it easier to use for my purposes. I do illustration work, and I love the 20" monitor, more accurate color on the monitor, and increased memory -- no more unexpected system crashes & losing hours of work!
Feeling more secure against hackers is a nice bonus, too.
But overall I think you can use either to do good work, you work with what you got, know what I mean?

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
PAWS Painter (Etsy)
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Quote:
I know it's more a PC heavy world than a Mac world. but the Macs are so much better for graphics and heavy programs.. i.e. illustrator, quarkpress, etc.. it just seems that many artists wud be into Macs.

MACs are not superior for graphics. This is a lie.

Since the advent of Windows 95 and the 32 bit operating system the two platforms are virtually identical when it comes to graphics. It's a misnomer that MACs out perform a Windows based PC in current hardware and software configurations. One is no better or no worse then the other.

If we were talking 15 years ago then yes, I would whole heartedly agree with you. But as of today, 2/8/2008 there really is no difference between the two when it comes to graphics.

www.vincentcreative.net
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoonstar
no more unexpected system crashes & losing hours of work!

I was born and raised on a MAC and have had the priveledge of working on both platforms in a professional environment. To be honest, my MAC crashed more then my PC ever did.

In all fairness, when a computer crashes it is more likely the fault of a poorly written piece of software or driver, not the operating system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoonstar
Feeling more secure against hackers is a nice bonus, too.

Feeling is the key word here. Even though the odds of your machine getting hacked are less then winning the lottery you have bought into the MAC advertising spiel. Don't believe everything Steve Jobs tells you -- alot of it is misinformation, spin or an outright lie.

www.vincentcreative.net