WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which browser do you use on a regular (daily) basis?
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 13 8.02%
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 27 16.67%
Mozilla Firefox 2.0 101 62.35%
Mozilla Firefox 1.5 7 4.32%
Safari 1.2 5 3.09%
Something else (which you maybe loaded a long time ago) 9 5.56%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 AM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States
Re: Which Browser do you use?

One of the things that really irritates me about IE7, though it might seem to be a minor thing, is the inability to arrange all the toolbars (including the "old" menu bar) in the way I want. I installed IE7 twice, and each time uninstalled it. Of course, I should mention that I only use IE for sites that do not play nice with FF, as I have been a dedicated FF user for a long time (relatively speaking ). BTW, I like the close button on each tab.

Ray
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine T
My reason for changing to Firefox from IE was pretty simple really - it speeded up my use of the internet by a huge amount . It was like getting a new computer overnight - or switching to broadband - simply amazing!

Absolutely not true, FF 2 is not faster than IE 7, in some areas it is, in other areas it isn't and even if there are differences, then they're aren't as shocking as you make it seem. And if you don't believe me, then check this:

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

Mind you, that comparison has only data for IE7 beta3, not the final browser version that has all debugging code (that makes programs always slower) removed.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 07:41 PM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Well quite how you can tell what the performance is of different browsers on my computer has me quite perplexed!

Besides which I don't believe you actually read what I said - this has got nothing to do with speed. Let me repeat - I tried IE7 and just couldn't get on with it - it simply is not as well designed as Firefox - and irritated me so much that I only ever use it to access Microsoft sites. Why? Because Microsoft still likes to pretend there isn't an alternative browser out there that people might like better than IE!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 PM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Mozilla Firefox 2.0 for me and I love it!

I have often wondered what the W3C statistics would be if both Firefox and Internet Explorer were installed on all computers OS at the time of purchase. Many people are still not confident in installing new software or that other browsers are even available. Firefox (and others) are an additional browser that users have to install themselves. Maybe if browsers were on the same starting line we would see a different picture

Anyway like a lot of things, what we all choose to use isn't necessarily the right thing for the next person. Isn't that why we create art differently to the next artist!
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2007, 02:34 AM
A Local Legend
London

A couple of excellent points Susan.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Kalamazoo, Michigan

Hails from United States

I'm also a Firefox user, and an interactive/web producer in my day job. In that capacity we do a lot of web development and have found FF to be the most standards compliant browser around. We develop for FF then break what we need to to make it work in IE, though IE7 is the most standards compliant browser yet from M$.

That said, despite the fact that we all work on Macs, none of use Safari. Though its based on the Linux browser Konquerer its badly flawed particularly in dealing with CSS reliant design (much of the web 2.0 stuff is heavily CSS based) and forms. We don't support it and I regularly rail against it to friends and clients.

Love my Mac, hate Safari.

BTW: quirky -- you probably just need to go into IE and make sure its set to be the default browser. If you install the latest version it'll do this anyway. Then your Outlook links will start working again. as far as the help links, they should have only been affected if you moved or uninstalled IE, even with Firefox set as you default. Once you reinstalled IE, everything should work again, even if you later install Firefox (which I'd recommend) and set it to be the default browser. Just don't remove or move IE.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2007, 04:26 AM
A Local Legend
London

I've just been looking at the stats resulting from this poll and I have to say it looks like Mozilla Firefox is going to be a very clear winner!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2007, 12:23 PM

FF2.
I broke IE7 attempting to install a stand alone IE6!!
I prefer FF2 anyway on a day to day basis,
however I will need to have IE7 to see how look my site on IE when I will put some new pages on the site!
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2007, 08:06 AM
A Local Legend
London

Debis - I guess the issue is which browser do you USE on a daily basis as opposed to which browser do you NEED to have for a specific purpose.

I continue to need IE to access the Microsoft website because Microsoft does not like Firefox and tries very hard not to recognise it!
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:16 PM

I use Netscape 7
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast
Woodstock, GA, USA

Hails from United States

I use IE7. I tried Firefox and it created problems, especially it seemed in my Outlook Express. It has been awhile so I don't remember the problems, but it was enough for me to switch back. Every now and then I receive an e-mail that has and attachment with the .eml extension and I cannot open it. Don't know if that is a left-over from my trying out Firefox and Mozilla.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast
NW Louisiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaSavage
I use IE7. I tried Firefox and it created problems, especially it seemed in my Outlook Express. It has been awhile so I don't remember the problems, but it was enough for me to switch back. Every now and then I receive an e-mail that has and attachment with the .eml extension and I cannot open it. Don't know if that is a left-over from my trying out Firefox and Mozilla.
I've been wondering what in the world .eml is and what would open it.

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast
Woodstock, GA, USA

Hails from United States

I assume it is another e-mail message that has been forwarded as an attachment, but one created by a different program -- either Mozilla, or a Mac user (which seems to be the people that I receive them from), or whatever else. Someone here is going to know!!!!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2007, 03:26 PM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States

.eml is the file format of your emails. It's not some strange format from Mac, Mozilla or Netscape users - it's native to Microsoft programs. If you forward an email as an attachment, you are forwarding the .eml file, no matter what program you are using, at least in Windows.

BTW, Firefox does not have anything to do with the email programs. It's just a browser and should not affect Outlook Express in any way. The Mozilla email program, in case you are wondering, is Thunderbird and is my choice for email.

Ray
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast
Woodstock, GA, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks Ray. Glad to know it is not the browser's fault. So . . . not to hijack this thread, but why then doesn't my Outlook Express open this attachment as another e-mail? If we need to take this discussion somewhere else, okay.