WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2007, 04:58 PM
FL

Hails from United States
Re: "How to Get Started in Soft Pastels" for our newbies

Hi Everyone,
Thank you Deborah for starting this thread. I started doing pastels as a child, now, so many years later I've picked it up again. The market for paper and pastels has changed so much and it is so much fun trying all the new pastels and papers available. I've be using Canson Mi-Teintes for pastel sketches and have found Art Spectrum Colortex my favorite. I use Faber soft pastels on Colortex to build the drawing and add Sennilier soft pastels for finishing. It has been a wonderful experience.

Currently I'm working on a painting on 9x12 Kitty Wallis paper. A little frustrating as I have used the same same technique that I use on Colortex. Ha! Not too successful yet. I'll keep working.

From an old, new beginner I suggest artists new to pastel use Faber soft pastels on Canson paper to get some experience. The paper and pastels are less expensive and the artist can decide if this is really where they want to go. For myself ... I love pastels and every painting is a new adventure. I learn so much about color, composition, value etc. by working on a pastel painting.
Thanks again Deborah for starting this thread and thanks to all who have contributed. I've certainly learned a lot.

Marie
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast
Grenaa

Hails from Denmark

wow, Nice thread!
Don't know if I can give any advice..... hm.... I can only tell you that I started 1˝ years ago using pastels and have been using them evere sins. Right from the start I used velour paper, I have only 2 drawings not made on velour paper. But If you are new and you wan't to do animals, velour paper is great! I know it's a bit hard to start on, but give it a go and don't give up.
If you wan't to study a book on the subject of velour and animals theres a book called: Painting Animals That Touch the Heart. Here's a link to where you can buy it:
http://www.amazon.com/Painting-Anima.../dp/1581801319

I hope that's a bit of help to you.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2007, 01:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

There is a lot of good information in this thread! Thanks to you all for your contributions!!

Quote:
ebony minwax is the solvent you are trying to remember.
Yep--that's it! I really hated using that stuff. You had to let it settle out so that the solvent itself was at the bottom, so essentially all you used was the stain part of it.

By the way, just as another possibility for people to consider, I tone Wallis paper in a straighforward way that doesn't involve any water, alcohol or solvents of any kind. I use a 3" wide foam pad-brush made for painting the trim on your house. I tape the Wallis down to my board all the way around, lay the board flat and apply a layer of pastel using the big, flat side of it. I don't try to fill up the grain of the paper (a waste of pastel), I just leave some of the white showing through. Then using the brush I scrub, and I mean really SCRUB like crazy, the whole surface of the paper, pushing all that lovely pigment down thoroughly into the grain of the paper. Then I smack the back of the board to loosen the excess pastel even more, and wipe the surface down with the brush and then a paper towel (best done outside or into a large trashcan.) When done, the whole paper is one tone--any color or value you want it to be--and ready to paint over. Because you've forced the pastel down well into the grit and wiped it off as much as possible no fixative is needed, and it doesn't dirty the colors you put over it. Try it--no buckling of the paper, no color shift, no trouble. Just be sure you rub it like crazy in all directions! Wallis takes abuse like this with a smile...

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2007, 08:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
South-East Queensland

Hails from Australia

Hi all,

I use pastels but don't often hang in the pastel forum (am usually over in drawing & sketching).

I too like to use harboard/masonite as my drawing board and I use 'R' clips - they're the plastic ones that look like R's lying on their back - they keep my Colourfix in its place, no worries.

I like to use a colourshaper to move pastel around in areas which are too small for my big fat fingers and always have a cheap, fine, hog hair brush with short bristles (cut it down if you need to) to remove pastel in small areas.

The biggest tip I can give anyone is the one that was given to me - Use the best quality materials that you can afford. It's amazing the difference good tools and paper can make.

I usually have a handtowel on my lap or nearby when I'm working - one end is moist the other dry - its great for wiping pastel dust off my fingers - my couple of pastel handtowels have their own abstract thing going on from all the pastel that won't wash out.

This is a great thread for newbies - so much info that takes many of us years to figure out.

One more thing - I tend to figure out my drawing on a piece of paper then using tracing paper I transfer it to the colourfix - it doesn't always matter that you have extra strokes under the image but I prefer to start with a clean basic line drawing.

Sue

Laughter is the sound of the human soul springing a leak.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2007, 01:50 PM
FL

Hails from United States

Sue,
Thanks for the tips! I love your idea for a hand towel. I usually just use a dry paper towel but your idea works better with a wet end.
Question ... what is a colourshaper? Is it the same as a torchon (spelling?)?

I have found that hard bristle fabric painting brushes are great for removing small or large areas of color.

Marie
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2007, 06:14 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
South-East Queensland

Hails from Australia

Marie, 'Colourshaper' is a brand - I use a #2 angled chisel in dark grey - the dk grey is the hardest & the best on colourfix's extreme tooth. I was a bit hard up to describe as best as I could so I've put mine on the scanner :

They are made by Royal Sovereign Ltd UK.

In a pinch (& to try before you buy) you can try cutting a plastic eraser to the shape you want and use that (not as good - but will move the pastel rather than erasing if you don't use as much pressure)

Hope that's helpful.

Sue

Laughter is the sound of the human soul springing a leak.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2007, 02:35 PM
NC

Hails from United States

Hello all,

I started in pastel when my wife got upset that I droped an oil painting on the new rug. I paint form a wheelchair and I hit the painting and down it went and, for me, pastels were born.

I bit of advise that I thought those new could use would be the numbering on the labels of the full sticks of some pastel brands. The half sticks don't come with labels but on the Rembrandts, ie, each hue has a value number. Rembrandt has a Light Orange of 236.3, 236.5, 236.9; Ultramarine Deep of 506.3, 506.5, 506.9. These two Rembrandts may be of a different hue, but matching the number after the decimal point will give you the value.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2007, 04:43 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

I am an animal artist. I've known since first seeing the work of Leslie Harrison that I wanted to give pastels a try. When she had a book published...well I was off and running! That was four years ago. Now, pastels are all I use. I love the immediacy and control.
Discovering WetCanvas was the second major step in my pastel journey.

My advice to beginners would be similar to a lot of others, here. Buy the best materials you can afford. Read good books on the subject, and then get your things out and play. Doing is the best way to learn!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
North West Arkansas

Hails from United States

Would like to re-enforce what Katherine has to say about the materials.
Quote:
My advice to beginners would be similar to a lot of others, here. Buy the best materials you can afford. Read good books on the subject, and then get your things out and play. Doing is the best way to learn!
. Working with poor quality pastels and papers is a fast way to put them away and move on. Even if you can only get a very few, the difference is amazing.

I would like to illustrate this point, without mentioning name brands. I purchased a student quality set of pastels from the local Hobby Lobby to use while out traveling. After working on a painting for approx 2 hours, I picked it up and thumped it lightly on the back to dislodge the loose dust. About 80% of the dust fell off the paper. Left just a shadow of the original image. Had I not been experienced with quality pastels in the studio, I would have thrown the whole mess in the trash and never picked them up again.
Moral to the story. Came home and broke my other pastels in half to create a box of pastels for plein aire painting.

John

Last edited by johndill01 : 02-03-2007 at 05:53 PM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Douglasville, GA

Hails from United States

Bhavana, that was an awsome list you put together!!! Now I need to go make a big pot of coffee and settle in to do some reading! Thanks for all of the trouble you went to!!!

I, too, have a carpeted studio (not by choice ).... my solution for keeping the good carpet clean, and it would work for those of you with hard floors as well, was to get a piece of the cheapest outdoor carpeting you can find.... you know, that plastic fake grass sort of stuff... they often put it on patios and things? Anyway, it allows the dust to settle down through the upright fibers down to its backing and is very easy to vaccum up... when the weather gets nicer, I'll take it outside and give it a hosing! Sure has kept me from tracking the dust around the rest of the studio and the house!!
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.........The Art of T.Morgan........
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
NC, USA

Hails from United States

hello to all in the threads....my question...does anyone do an underpainting with acrylics for a pastel painting? if so, i am interested in knowing the technique. as to 'catching' the dust, a long piece of cardboard, folded in half and then covered with aluminum foil, makes a sturdy 'catch' for pastel dust.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast
Maryland, USA

Hails from India

I have never tried it but here is a thread which I hope you will find useful..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338465
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 AM
FL

Hails from United States

Thanks Sue for your info on the color shaper. I will definitely try one. Sorry it has taken me so long to thank you ... I've been pulled in different directions. Very kind of you to scan your shaper ... visual examples are the best.

Marie
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2007, 08:58 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Take a look at "Pastel with Ponting" the online class being delivered by Dianna Ponting as part of the Drawing and Sketching Forum's Basic 102 Classes. You can find it in "The Classroon" sub-forum. Maybe join in this week and next while Dianna tutors the class?

Here's the link:
"Pastel with Ponting": Basic 102 - Class 12

Dianna has included some splendid information and images about:
  • soft pastels
  • abrasive pastel supports
  • tools to use with pastels
  • much much more!
and excellent advice about working with soft pastels using her particular approach.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2007, 12:33 AM
A Local Legend
India

Hails from United Nations

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it, Deborah. And, just at the point where i was thinking a few demos were what I need as a newbie, along came Bhavana's list. Thanks, Bhavana. Shall check them out soon.