WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2005, 11:27 AM

Re: The EPSON Scam

Forgot to mention a known common problem with the C80 series, is the the waste pipe comes detatched from the pump!

This is a clear plastic tube that clips onto the stem of the cleaning pad under where the head 'parks'.

What happens is the printer will do a cleaning cycle and ink builds up and will not complete the cleaning cycle, simply refix to cure - not the problem in my case.

If you imagine the tube bent in a U formation and a little hammer mounted on a wheel, when the wheel rotates the hammer goes round squashing the pipe in a circular motion - This is the pump action that causes the ink to be sucked down the tube into the high aborbancy waste foam pad under the printer mechanism - NOTE THIS IS NOT the cleaning pad where the head parks.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2005, 02:19 PM

I bought a brand new printer
It gleams and shines at me
It prints such lovely photos
this Epson great for me.

My digi-cam is bristling,
with happy memories.
Iíll do some prints so as to keep
and bring a smile or two

The first few prints looked so great
the next few looked aghast.
Off to the shop I ran and ran
to buy some new ink tanks

In they went with such great ease
I started to print again.
I gaped in awe and wondered why
The picture looked aghast

I did some cleaning cycles
tilí my new tanks died.
Off to the shop I ran again
for new ink tanks to buy

I tried the phone to get some help,
Iíve even tried the net.
My new and gleaming Epson
just sits and stare's at me

I tried and tried and tried again
to get the darn thing go
I wasted many Epson tanks
til my cash ran low.

I gave the darn thing up at last
No prints from them there snaps
A load of wasted paper
and loads of empty tanks.

Davy

Last edited by davy : 05-27-2005 at 02:23 PM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hi all
This is all most interesting and timely.
My Canon S520 wont print Black, also the colors are yuck. Out of guarantee a little while. Canon tell me the print head is stuffed and the fact is to replace it costs more than a new printer.
They blame the use of alternative ink, have used Calidad Brand who recommend it for Canon, says so on the packet. Big differrence is price and suits my pensioner pocket more.

It would seem to me that there are common problems with differrent manufacurers. My old HP Laser 4L is still plodding along with refill cartridges.

Need to buy a new color printer but which one, perhaps buy the cheapest without the bells and whistles and throw it away when it gives trouble. Would be a saving on the ink with refills that way and no big outlay.
Was leaning to Epsom but not now. Mighty confusing.
Dont suppose there is anything I can do for the head, perhaps boil it, (joke)

Brother seem to have a combo cheepo, any thoughts on that brand.

Thanks all for your imput, it shows I am not alone in my frustration.
Les
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Louisville, KY

Hails from United States

Hi Les,

Sorry to head about your problems

What price range are you in for a new printer? I have had good success with a Lexmark all-in-one.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Paris, France

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunparis
Thanks for sharing your story with everyone. I hope people get the picture now and will stop buying Epson's junk!

I think if my 8 year old HP OfficeJet 630 ever breaks down, I will buy a laser printer so I don't have to deal with the ink cartridge fiasco.

I just bought a new inkjet and I thought I'd update this thread. I wanted a color laser printer but after reading reviews and doing a lot of searching I determined the cost per page was just much higher than an inkjet. There isn't just toner, but also the drum (about $175) which means a $500 laser printer can cost $250+ in consumables!

I read reviews on amazon for HP, Epson, & Canon. Hundreds of reviews. HP & Epson use too much ink and the ink is too expensive. I came to the conclusion that the Canon Pimxa line was much more economical and the cartridges are very easy to refill. So I got the MP750. It works great. I was a little hard on Canon and pro-HP in the past but I think I have changed my mind.

Anyway, my advice to anyone looking for a printer is to read all the reviews on amazon, especially sort by lowest rating first to get both positive & negative experiences. Then decide!

-michael
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2005, 07:21 AM
A Local Legend
Rugby, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I've been told that Epson uses a page print counter to tell/guess ink levels. My R200 ink level count seems to have been overidden in some other way and I don't know why. The printer still works, but doesn't print with certain catridges. I've no way of telling if this is the ink level, or some other fault such as faulty communication at the circuit contacts.

Mikey
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2005, 05:25 AM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Thumbs up Re: The EPSON Scam

Muses Daydream
Interesting title.
Thanks for coming back, have actually tried to find out some more about Lexmark, seen one in local shop but these shops do not carry brochures now on their differrent products. Also salespersons are vague. Some suppliers have their own computor page but the detailed information is very slim, just sales blurb. Just read Michaels thread re Amazon and will have a nosy. Just need a simple colour printer as accurate as can be and ability to do poster size with the A4 sheets. This is what my cannon did (RIP) Hopefully will do some searching this week.
Been badly hit with virus and bugs lately, lots about the area so i am told. Since I upgraded to XP complete with service pack and advanced technologies, the "C" has gone crazy, cost a hell of a lot of time, and had the technician here for a few hours to clean it up, still problems especially with the email connections. Diffiicult and trying. My ISP now appears to be lost somewhere, tried numerous times to check settings but they are stumped. Technician says it is their side. So this week I change my ISP as well. Now the monitor looks like it is on the way out, had some flashes of a Magenta screen. No complaints with it, done well must be pushing ten years now.

Michael
Read your thread with interest, what do you mean by refill cartridges, are they replacement Canon one's, or do you refill them personally.
Cheers
Les
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2005, 07:13 AM
A Local Legend
Rugby, UK

Very sadly it looks as if we do have disposable printers not made to last that long. Cheap Epson printers and it looks as if £100 UK is cheap just are not made to last.

Mikey
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 07:08 AM

[quote=Mikey]I've been told that Epson uses a page print counter to tell/guess ink levels.

Well, no Mikey.
The ink levels is only estimated, unlike the water level gauge on the car, with the Epsons there is no direct feedback from the ink level, the way that it works is that it counts the number of times the nozzles are in operation.

If as you suggest that it is a page counter, howcome that say in the C or CX series that the Black tank don't run out at the same time as the colour ones, like the R200 series they would all run out at the same time.

The chip on the tank 'Intellidge chip' as Epson calls it is basically like a writeable
memory chip, when the chip has 'counted down' to a pre-determined number, it 'flags' the cpu to tell it to stop printing.

Alittle further, the other counter is the waste pad and this is in the printers CPU chip, this counts the number of cleaning cycles and when a level is reached it 'flags' an address line and says 'no more printing'.

It does seem wrong to me that, I have a letter saying 'air bubbles damages heads' from Epson, also onto 'Technical' they told me never ever to do more than 6 cleaning cycles in one go has this causes head damage. What are you suppose to do when you go on that 2 week vacation or that world cruise. No mention of this was in my manual....Why Messrs Epson..?

I just got a Canon ip5000, its fast, its very, very quiet - it's just awsome, I've converted to Canon from Epson.

I totally agree what Mikey earlier said, and that is better to take note of 'USER' reviews etc (there is many more apart from Amazon - I did a Google on the model) as opposed to magazine write-ups, they'er OK but only as a guidance.

Davy

Last edited by davy : 06-10-2005 at 07:30 AM.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 07:24 AM
A Local Legend
Rugby, UK

Hi Davy, the cartidge shop tell me I should buy a Canon, but it aint that easy just to go out and buy another one is it.

Mikey
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 08:15 AM

Hi again,
As you know buying a printer is not the easiest thing, you need to question yourself first, like I did.

What do I want to print?
Family snaps
Hight quality pro. photos
Do I want text
Do I want graphics
Do I want a wide-frame printer

I suppose these are just the basic qustions and the 'wants' could be expanded more.

It took me the best part of a couple of a month after getting a printer in mind, simply because I did not want the hassle I experienced with Epson, that being the case I would have stuck with my El' Cheapo Samsung laser, cheap yes but goes like a work-horse and had 2 or three toner ink refills in the original drum and toner assembley - Just can't work it out, the toner assembley is about £20 (UK) more than the printer....Lol, just what do I do, go out and buy a new printer..?

Seeing I was not even 50% into photography but more into graphics I aimed at a printer with good text and graphic capabilities so after a lot of thought went for the ip5000.

Believe me Mikey I'm glad I did, I was told it was quiet - you have a job to hear it, I was told it was fast - it is fast. I've not tried it in anger on 'High Quality', the standard quality was very good on the 6 x 4 supplied - I even printed a photo on plain paper!

I was even more surprised, on the standard setting, the text was laser quality - no feathering and no bleedng on universal plain paper of unknown brand (I could'nt get the HP paper I normally use), what stood out like a sore thumb it was about as quick as my Laser after 'warm up'...!

The only moan I guess was that there was only a pack of 5 sheets of 6 x 4 photo paper, I do feel that they could have included samples of the other papers types.

There's printers, printers and printers, once upon a time you only had one choice...and thats when the choice was easy..!

Davy
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2005, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Paris, France

Hails from United States

I have been extremely happy with my Canon so far, it works great. I printed a photo on the included 4x6" photo paper (yes only 5 sheets included) and it looked almost identical to the photo lab we use. A little soft but that's because my digital camera is a little soft. I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT on order which should take care of that!

Also, there is a site called Ben's Bargains which lists coupons for major online sites. I've seen Canon printers (and others) with major coupons that make their price end up being rediculously low. For almost the same price as buying new HP cartridges you can get a new Pixma ip5000 Canon printer. I've seen it for around $86. It's incredible, and the Canon comes with full ink cartridges.

Like I said, do your homework. PCMagazine and the others are greatly influenced by who does the most advertising. I only trust user reviews.

-Michael
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2005, 07:48 AM

Just a note:
With the ip5000 you have to select 'glossy paper', slide the lever to 'fine' to get the best resoloution, ticking the ICM box and setting the intensity to +10, really works a treat - thanks to Photo-i review for this..

Davy
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Paris, France

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy
Just a note:
With the ip5000 you have to select 'glossy paper', slide the lever to 'fine' to get the best resoloution, ticking the ICM box and setting the intensity to +10, really works a treat - thanks to Photo-i review for this..
Davy

have you found any optimum settings for printing on plain paper? Often I print a photo or a painting on plain paper and I want to save my expensive photo paper because I don't need photo quality. So far I've just used the "plain paper" setting with "high" quality and the results are not bad, about the same as what I was getting from the color laser printer at work.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Pembroke Pines, Florida

Hails from United States

I have an Epson Stylus Color 880 that I bought back in 1998 or so. It still runs like a champ and I've only used generic inks that cost $3-4 each since the get-go. Nowadays I specifically use USA Brand from http://extracartridges.zoovy.com/category/epson/ which work great.

Also, I stopped using Epson's Status monitor about a year ago. I use the SSC Service Utility instead. (http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml) It saves ink and lets me recharge specific colors among many other things.

I've never had a bad experience with Epson. But I hear good things about Canon as well nowadays. I'm personally itching to get an R200 to print on CD's.