WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2016, 10:04 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
The Goal Post June 2016

Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Feel free to share links or images of goals achieved or in progress, those are always fun and people like cheering them on.
I've started it today as Dougwas may be held up...
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 04:01 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: The Goal Post June 2016

June 2016 Goals

Thanks for starting us off Deirdre, I hope Robert is ok.

I am unsure that my goals stand as stated each month as they are frequently overtaken by events . Last month I made an out door easel and drawing board for SWMBO as it is lighter than her easels from the usual art supply peeps. Also had to practice WCP as we have an art break in that medium in a couple of weeks.

This month I intend going to Dorset for a WCP break. Putting up the practice from CE book (Charles Evans - WCP that is) for that on the 'book review' thread in the miniature forum. I hope to do another watercolour workshop at the end of the month with JFD, and complete those of his I have yet to finish. I am fast coming to the realization that it may be quicker to purchase a pastel box, as its goal is overtaken monthly. Enthusiasm for the project is gradually diminishing. My pastel work awaits its completion, and the pressure is building!

Non art goals are that I have to prepare my car for trade in for our new one this month – hopefully. The new car is completed and ready for export (it's coming from France). It is the same make and model as SWMBO's current vehicle and is one of the few we can get the hoist in to lift her power chair. As the weather improves I intend clearing some clutter from the garage. We have been using the garage to stuff all manner of odd things we have not wanted around the house.
Jim.

Last edited by Mij : 06-02-2016 at 04:04 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Hi Jim! Just you and me this month? Oh well, maybe the others will join in when they get a chance. Sounds like you have a very busy month ahead. The WCP workshop sounds like fun. It should open up a lot of ideas for you when you learn some secrets to using them. I hope everything goes well for you on the changing of vehicles. Going with a model that you know will serve your wife's needs sounds like a smart idea.

Well, we are back from Vancouver. I actually used my watercolors down there for the first time. I always take art supplies with me, but never got around to using them. Not this time. :-) I also went to my favorite art store while down there. Didn't but any real art supplies, just framing supplies and gatorboard for taping the watercolor paper to while painting. I had one board and loved it so much, I bought a couple more. I also got some framing advice from the framer at the store. We must have talked for 90 minutes about art and framing. The people make the store. It was a very informative and motivating experience.

Okay, on with the goals for June:

1) Art time is 12:30 pm - 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday. During that time I will paint, draw, plan paintings, read art books and watch art videos. This is strictly art time and everything else can be done in the morning or evening. Weekends are for whatever I feel like doing, art related or non.

2) I will complete three paintings 11 x 14 or larger that are good enough for my FCA portfolio.

3) I will go plein air painting twice to get the hang of it before going to the North Okanagan FCA Paint Out on June 16.

That should keep me busy!

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2016, 12:59 PM

Hiya Doug, seems like just the two of us ATM. Perhaps others will weigh in as the days unfold - I do hope so. Welcome back from Vancouver BTW. I used to say that to my old MIL before she RIP'd. She was the best one I'd ever had .

It sounds as if you have yourself organized Doug. They sound good achievable goals so fingers crossed for you .

I have just ordered a 'Jackson's Large Travelers Box'. I have so many tasks to do at this end and my pastels are still sitting in their delivery boxes waiting to be used (cracked in two and charted). I can see my goals changing as I type...

This afternoon SWMBO's grandson came and collected some stuff from the garage and SWMBO's cupboard so we have more room to swing the proverbial cat - if we had one that is . Most of it was 'in the trash bin' job so it was an easy task.
Will you display your artwork on any pages? Leave us a link if you do. You know we are image junkies.
jim

Last edited by Mij : 06-03-2016 at 01:42 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2016, 10:55 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada
Smile Re: The Goal Post June 2016

Jim, you will feel so organized when you get your pastels sorted in a wooden box. You will be able to take them with you whenever you want and pack them away when you need room for something else in your art area. Snapping the sticks and sorting them goes fairly fast once you get started. What worked for me was starting with a mid value in a hue and then comparing another stick in the same hue and asking myself if it was lighter or darker in value and is is warmer, cooler or similar. It really is easy once you get going, and remember, it doesn't have to be perfect. I am always moving sticks around.

Maybe your SWMBO's grandson can come over to my place and take some of our treasures away. And by treasures I mean junk. lol Now you have room for more stuff!

I did some more painting yesterday on the pastel piece I have on the go. Not quite sure how to finish it off, so it will sit on my easel for a bit. I don't want to rush the finish and ruin it. So far I am very happy with it and that doesn't always happen. I got a drawing down on watercolor paper yesrerday so I could get a quick start today. That was the plan anyway. I did something to my back this morning and I have been having back spasms all day long. No art today, but I signed up for JV's Paint Along and watch him him do an oil painting. It was 4 hours long and I found it very informative. Better than just sitting around and feeling sorry for myself. Maybe the back will be better on Monday.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougwas
Jim, you will feel so organized when you get your pastels sorted in a wooden box.
Ok I'll believe you , but I'll not be using these outdoors - at least that is not my intention anyway. I have my sketch-book, ink-tense pencils and water brush pens for that. I also have the 'greyscale' feature on my camera and software to aid in sorting the values where it gets difficult. It is called a Jackson Traveler pastel box but is really a studio box, especially if weight and size is considered. But it does mean I'll have the pastels in colour and value arrangements. They (Jackson's) did not do this box when I started making one as it was cost/mark up that turned me into a part-time chippy. This is only a low cost item now.
I do have some pastel paintings I am almost desperate to complete. but you probably gathered that.
Quote:
Maybe your SWMBO's grandson can come over to my place and take some of our treasures away. And by treasures I mean junk. lol Now you have room for more stuff!
Teh hee, well I wont be swinging any cats. SWMBO and I abhor animal cruelty anyway, but we can do with any space to put more art stuff! .

It was nice for you to do some more painting but not so good about your back. I hope it has improved. I will look up JV when I get back to here on the 14th, 3 sessions is about right and it is very reasonable. Especially as it is recorded as well. I'll be away for the middle one anyway. It is so nice to sit back and listen to the mind of an artist whilst painting.....
Mmm, look forward to that.
jim

Last edited by Mij : 06-05-2016 at 04:24 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2016, 06:09 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I'm back, sorry to be gone so long. Long story short, got new medication in May and have been adapting to it, getting used to "the pain is less and fatigue is more and fog gets real thick without pain-warning." It's a bit crazy but I think a net improvement once I can get to doing something again!

Deirdre, thank you for starting this thread!

Goals for June:

Get back to doing art, try for daily art or artish.

I do include continuing to work on a pencil drawing that's had four or five tries to get the pencil accurate, got a duck page still in pencil stage from last month not inked or painted, sketched a flower this morning not yet inked or painted. It's like that. So progress on an unfinished tiny sketch counts. Yeesh that sounds pathetic but I got the plant in this morning.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 02:04 PM

Hiya Robert and I am glad to hear that your medication has been sorted somewhat and nice to see you back. We did think we may be all alone this month what with every one out doing yard work. Also it sounds as if you may have an achievable goal. I do hope you are able to get back to some art.
jim
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 08:08 AM

A change to my goals is imminent. Today my pastel case arrived via parcel post early in the morning. A goal which will take priority is charting and arranging the pastels in the box. Having gone through the processes used by others on the web (some time ago) I assume that dark to light bottom to top and spectrum order left to right is the logical way? I can remember warm/cool colours as they are relative to their neighbour. If I have time I will attempt a spotlight and maybe a DVD lesson on trees - or perhaps combine them cuz the spotlight is on trees.
jim
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 11:03 AM

I have just taken the Unison pastels out of the cupboard and found that the lettering/numbering sequence is completely illogical. I had forgotten about that. The colour red is all over the range. I can see lots of problems ahead. I can see that I will be doing some of these at night - that means using flash photography during the day as well as I'll want the same light for comparison.If you have done this before and have any tips I'd like to read them.
jim
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Robert- Great to have you back, Robert! It will take a while to get back to the swing of things, so don't be too hard on yourself if you can't get things done as quickly as before. Before you know it, things will be back to normal. Good luck with your goals and your health!

Jim- Now the fun begins. When I sorted my pastels, it took about four or five days. Amazing how many pastels one can collect after ten years of pastel painting. The questions I kept asking myself were; lighter or darker and warmer or cooler. I started with greens. I placed a mid green in the box and put the warmer greens to the left and the cooler greens to the right. if they were darker in value they were placed in the upper portion of the box and if they were tints they went in the lower portion. It is just constant comparing all the way though the spectrum. Don't worry if you place a stick in the wrong place. It can always be moved. I kept the muted colors and grays separate from the pure colors. I will take a photo of my boxes to show you what I did. Again, once you get going it will make more sense. Good luck!

I finished my first portfolio painting yesterday. It feels like I am finally "getting" pastels. It's weird. I have been painting in pastels for ten years now, and it has been a struggle most of the way. Maybe putting them away for two years has helped me. Maybe I needed to get away from them. I really do think that all that watercolor painting has helped me. Painting is painting, no matter what medium. Just different techniques.

Here is the link to the painting in the Studio. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1406872

Doug
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2016, 12:05 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Yay for your pastel box, Jim! I wound up taking all the labels off the pastels I put in my pastel box so I wasn't trying to use label definitions of "red" "orange" "red earth" and so on for similar colors or overlapping colors. Unison has some strange systems for labeling including Alternative colors and Special Colors and so on that have no relation to what hue it is, but tend to suddenly fill spectrum gaps.

I love my Unisons but wouldn't organize like that if doing warm > cool as left > right, dark at the bottom, light at the top. I'd go by what hue it is and sorted into "browns/grays/muted" pile for a second spectrum to the right of saturated colors to make two rows of Muted and four rows of Saturated.

It works out by just looking at the sticks and letting the spectrum order guide me. Sort of shows where I have gaps too if I have lots of tints in one area and fewer in another, but it still makes it easy to grab the right stick even if it's not perfectly even as an arrangement. Yellows slid into oranges very fast. It still worked though and actually reduced how grayed they get because each stick is closest to its physical neighbors.

It'll fine-tune over time too. Some people don't fill the box sorting like that, which is odd to me because mine overflowed but it can happen.

No success yet on doing art yesterday but today is still ahead.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Jim- I hope these photos might help you. You will see that they are not in perfect order, but close enough to give me am idea of where to look when I need a certain hue or value.

The first photo is to give you an idea of my setup. The greys and muted hues are separate from the pure colors and they are at the bottom of the photo, then I start with the greens and work my way across the spectrum all the way to yellow. If I remember correctly this was done so the cool hues (green, blue, violet) would be on one side and the warm hues (red, orange, yellow) would be on the other.

Here are some closeups and grey scaled photos.

First box

Grey scaled

Second box

Grey scaled

I hope this helps you.

Doug
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2016, 04:36 PM

Thank you both very much for the input, it is appreciated. I don't know why I said spectrum (Hue) order from left to right, nor dark to light up the box. I think I have asked this question before and that was what I perceived most peeps did. The spectrum as I did it at school (ahem... years ago) was ROYGBIV. Also I had forgotten about Unison sticking with their inventors original colour coding. It does make sense but only if one majors in either portraits or landscapes and doesn't add any additional colours to the range.
I have them spread out and labelled and whilst in the garage came across some other pastels that may well fit in. We are off for a few days on Saturday so not a lot of time to devote to this before then.

Ok both, thanks again and hope all is well with you two. Your goals are achievable and that's as they should be .
Jim
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2016, 10:14 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr glad I could help. My box looks like his in miniature, with fewer slots and the same arrangement. It's a good one, and it doesn't have to be perfect to work well for your hand knowing where to grab at any point. I need to clean mine again after the latest move, it'll be really useful for plein air this fall.

Looks like I won't be doing plein air out at various other locations over the summer because of the kids being off school. Grandpa stays home with kids, no ride-alongs by day until they are back in school. This is cool, I may do some PA out on the farm right here later on if I can build the strength for it. Right now I'm just trying to get back to daily sketching.

The urge to pastel is getting huge though. I have a half finished pastel painting on sanded paper that I'd really like to complete.