WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2014, 12:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: The Goalpost July 2014

Hiya Peg glad to have you in the glasses everywhere brigade, I'm no loner in those things LOL.

Robert, I understand about the magnifiers. The reason I use the opticians is diabetes. I lost a younger brother a few years back and a 75 year old brother a couple of months ago. Both were diabetic the older one through maturity onset. One of the earliest checks for diabetes is via your eyes.

I was about to taxi SWMBO up to her opticians when the fan delivery driver called just as the stair lift man was leaving (well he got it working but the replacement step is the wrong one). Of course he had to take down the hand rails I fitted last week. It has been sweltering here but we did have heavy showers – was it yesterday – or the day before?
Age? 72 here and yes plugging on is ok – it beats the alternative.

I did manage some time on the box today. At this juncture I need to ensure that this half is square with the other half I've done. So I put the bottom (or top whichever- they are exactly alike at this stage) and use it as a template to shave/sand to size. I did cut it oversize for just this purpose. Like wise I cut the lathes oversize and sand down to fit.

Here you can see the lathes cut and sanded to size and all in a 'G' clamp at this end of the table. The bottom and pressure plate are on the far side. The 1st half is in the middle.

When I wanted to glue the lathes together I found the glue pretty hard to squeeze out of the tube. I may have to get a new tube. It was quite lumpy and I had to use many 'G' clamps to get the first two lathes to stay together.

It is that wild bunch of 'G' clamps high on the left side with just two of the three lathes for the hinge end of the box.
jim
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2014, 01:23 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, the pastel box is coming along well! Jim, it's looking good! Thanks for showing your stages on it and processes. I'm really fascinated and think you're doing great with all the clamps. It's probably a good idea to get new glue if it's lumpy, that'd be a serious problem and with all the work you put in on it, better to get the right stuff than be penny wise pound foolish.

Sorry to hear about your diabetes. I've had friends with diabetes and it's hard to live with and manage. I hope you're getting good food at home to help manage it.

Rough about the frustrations with the stair lift, but glad it's working again. Your hand rails did the job when it was down though, that's something good you did for her.

Yesterday was one of those no-art days for me, heat got to me and I slept a lot. Just sort of hit hard by the chronic fatigue and sweated so much it literally dropped off my forehead when I looked down. That tends to startle me more than it would someone that was used to going to a gym. I was like, wow, has to be hotter than I thought. So I don't feel too bad about it. The goal is "health-weather permitting" after all.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 PM

I am coming back quick on that Robert, it looks as if I've given you the impression that I have diabetes. I do not have diabetes. I am making sure that if I have it (it runs in the family obviously) it will be found at a regular check-up with the opticians at least once a year. We get a free eye test after 65 years of age every 12 months. I have no sugar at all. Well a choccy biccy at break time on Tuesdays at art class, that really minimizes all risks I think.
jim
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 PM

Just before I posted that one I had a call 'The stair lift has stopped again' So I had to refit the hand rails that the engineer took down this morning!
jim (very p........d off).
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Dear Jim...So sorry about your stairlift problems. We had one installed for my husband, who used it ONCE to go down to the basement...(it was a lot of trouble transferring him to a wheelchair down there)
.I use it all the time, (my art space is down there), and have never had trouble with it in the 7 years we've had it. Is yours an Acorn?
Wishing you well with the box....looks like a LOT of work...

Just got back from my art class...was interesting today, reviewing warms against cools, etc. and color theory and values...
Did a set-up for for practice...each of us (10 in all) saw it from a different aspect, so each was very different. At the show-and-tell I was embarrassed...mine was the worst! I still haven't conquered the concept of filling in the darks areas first without drawing in everything first....
I sure have a hard time with values, too! Oh well, 6 more weeks to go...

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jim, glad to hear you're only screening for something you're at risk for. Whew! Rough about having to reinstall the hand rail though. That just bites. Really frustrating what's going on with that stair lift.

Judibelle, don't feel bad about being worst in the class. I love that painting in your signature and you will get it. You'll probably get more out of the class than most. I know what you mean about filling in darks over a detailed sketch, it's such a difficult mental shift to make.

One thing you could try is mapping out those details on a transparency. Sketch in detail with the little areas mapped out within shadows. Then trace it on a piece of clear acetate with a Sharpie or something, vivid dark lines, so you can keep putting it over your painting to see if you got those color shifts in. There are some styles that rest strongly on having a detailed line sketch of every hue and value step even if the transitions will be softened. It's just that working the other way in pastel works faster.

I'm finally starting to get used to it and even at that, after getting back into the Colourful method, I drew too much detail on my Spotlight landscape sketch. In between I've done lots of notans and thumbnails and everything like that. Pastels you can lighten over darks, it really does work, just keep telling yourself that!

Making some progress fighting the heat. I did a page of graphite sketching and my graphite Ari sketches look pretty good - better than earlier pencil drawings by a lot. More fluid and more accurate gestures. I got his fur pretty well, he was scruffy in one and I got the scruffiness. Also did a kneaded eraser and a clear marble on the same page. It's down in my Art Journals thread.

I should probably get a sketch pad sometime and work bigger in charcoal when squeezing in fast sketches, see what I can do in just value but loose and large. I got the giant pad of brown sketch paper and it wouldn't take much to work in both black and white on it...

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM

Hi there JudiB. Thanks for the commiserations about the stairlift. I know that it's not an Acorn but what ever it is SWMBO got it via a 3rd party advisory service. It costs a lot of money. I reckon that you are paying them in addition to the stairlift peeps.

I had to have a morning down at Bexhill On Sea. I got back to find the electrician fitting the new fan - and sweating like I did trying to fit the first one. And it worked first time via a remote. It has 3 speeds and off and the light is a dimmer one. It is so quiet and SWMBO is very pleased with it.

The stairlift engineer is here again, he will have to remove my rails to try it. I hope he refits them when it fails again. =Break=

He has gone and both he and SWMBO tried the stairlift a couple of times to make sure it was working. Yes he removed the handrails I refitted.

I got some more 'NO MORE NAILS' Robert and whilst it is stiff, there are no lumps in it. I have stuck two sides. Tomorrow morning I have to taxi SWMBO for a bone scan, I might get some more time on the box after.

The next job is to stick and clamp the other two sides then sand/shave the sides that are already stuck and clamped ATM to an inch depth.
jim (Sweltering under a nice cooling fan)

Last edited by Mij : 07-15-2014 at 12:54 PM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2014, 02:05 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, great progress on the pastel box! Frustrating about all the other stuff but glad the stair lift's finally working and the new fan helps. I'd be so tempted to get one for this room, it gets very hot in here. I have a small oscillating fan but a ceiling fan is very effective overall. Had one back in Arkansas.

Looking forward to more box photos and progress. Yay for how that's turning out! I think you'll finish it this month!

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Worked on my Spotlight today, it's Stage 3.1 now with clouds done or Stage 3 - the way I did them it was hard not to treat them as detailed but I was putting them in as color variations from imagination. Shaping them meant including small areas by way of strokes and accents. Eh, it's the sky and that wasn't a mass doing the clouds. I didn't plan them as such to be separate from the sky mass and they're the same value area.

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Did a watercolor pencils demo today before leaving for my appointment, so, daily art is ON again. Might even have more. Might even be pastels since I have 12 Color Conte in my pocket of my vest.

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Hails from United States

JIM, glad to hear that the stairlift is working again and you're making great progress on the box. Amazing how life just gets in the way.
ROBERT, back to daily art....yay!
JUDI, I also have had that "worst in the class" experience. It will come in time and with practice. I take watercolor classes, too, and it's hard switching back in forth....keeping the light from the beginning, laying down the darks...oh my
Just heard that a pastel was accepted into this month's show at Woodstock. Can hardly believe it...

and we all shine on
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr thank you! Hopefully tomorrow I'll get back to my Spotlight. I even ordered a frame for it today, so I'd better do a good job!

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 AM

Well done Peg getting one in at Woodstock .

I saw the tree and leaf tutorial Robert, yes great things this month . I have a set of inktense pencils/sticks and a water brush in my outdoor kit. It makes for a very light carry – pack.

JudiB, you should see my portrait attempts! Worst in the class? Worst in the country more like . The way that I redeem anything at all is by taking a photo and re-do it using a grid and a proportional divider . At this juncture I get stymied by 'shall I complete it in acrylics or oils'. Unable to make up my mind over the various advantages I get no farther .

I did glue two more sides together yesterday and found one side a little too large . If I cannot reduce it then I'll have to make another – start over on that side . I am limited by the number of clamps involved.

Today's life interruptions - SWMBO has to go and have a bone scan (I had to attach a rope to the up-and-over rear door to enable her to operate it herself), I stay at home awaiting the chair engineer who will hopefully bring the correct foot plate () and get the stairlift operating as it should .
Jim
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 08:59 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jim, good luck on the pastel box! Sounds like you should be able to reduce it though, if a piece is a little large trimming back has to be easier than bulking up something cut too small.

LOL your description of your portrait skills. Don't worry too much, being able to grid and draw puts you up in the stage I was at when I first started selling portraits and the rest does come in time. Might be best to trace and transfer good sketches prepared that way though, then you can do both oils and acrylics and decide which one turned out better on results.

No art yet today and nothing yesterday, heat sluggish and short on body energy. It happens.

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2014, 04:07 AM

Thanks for the understanding of my portrait skills Robert. Some tutors teach it assuming we will pick up those skills needed to do it freehand as we go along. Also I am too long in the tooth and experienced as a teacher to be encouraged by the bland comments usually made in the session .

My gridded portrait of the last model we had has taken over. I drew it on canvas as previous but this time I used a fixative to stop the water in the grey acrylic deleting the drawing. I'm going to follow Mike Skidmore's process on his DVD for the painting. It's only the 19th of the month so quite a few days left for the pastel box. Doing the majority in oils means I will leave it to dry a couple of days anyway. Shall I show it as a WIP on the portrait page?
The stairlift engineer has been and fitted the new footplate. So all is werky-werky at the moment.....
We had our hottest day yesterday, and this Englishman stayed out of the mid-day sun. In fact watched MS's DVD on portrait painting again with a very English cup of tea under a working ceiling fan .
jim

Last edited by Mij : 07-19-2014 at 04:10 AM.