WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States
Re: July 2014 Plant Parade

Lea, what a beauty!

Jean, I'm always intrigued by your lovely digital paintings- your irises are so soft & lovely!

Deborah - lovely use of themedium - a "melts in your mouth" beauty!

Viv - so lovely & soft! both are beautiful pastels.
Kitty - ouuuu, pretty! especially love the white one- its very dramatic!

Megs - very nice! love the apricot color, and you achieved lovely detail work in your velvety-looking Red Devil iris- well done!

Karen - what a stunning floral! So glad you joined us and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Christel - wow, love all the detail , especiall in the magenta part of the petal-- beautiful!

Alas, I've not had any painting time except for teaching classes, and now we have company, but if I can, I'll still try to get one done by the end of the month.

oops- company is here, gotta go, will finish coments later!

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
PAWS Painter (Etsy)

Last edited by bluemoonstar : 07-27-2014 at 12:37 PM.
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

OK, back from breakfast....

Kay, both are beautiful, I love all the intricacies of the second one.

Sandy, Two lovely irises! The complimentary colors of the first onereally sing together.

Lil, nice sense of light glowing thru your iris.

Cleo, very nicely painted - you've kept it really fresh.

Jamie, love the spontaneous look of your ittle gem.

Tresgastos - wow, you've been busy! All are beautiful, I love the commposition of the 2nd purple one, so lovely isolated like that.

chana, you've succeeded in making it look like stained glass- a lovely novel appproach

Maureen - very nice line work, and that vibrant orange & pink really pop together!

Marriam, those are both really lovely! I really love the colors on both, and how you kept the leaves to so light on that first one - great handling of wc!

geej, glad you posted your irises. The gnome made me laugh! LOVE the intricate background on the second one - great way to add a whole lot of colors to such a simply colored iris!

Whew, I think that's evereyone so far!

I do hope I have time to do one before the end of the month!

PAWS Painter (Etsy)
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Immortalized
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Christel - love your iris in CP, you captured the light beautifully and the colors you've used are gorgeous.
Kitty - Your pen & wash iris is simply lovely. The two watercolors are wonderful as well; it's great how you got such different results from the same reference.
Deborah - beautiful loos watercolor, very dreamy, love the rich color.
Jean - very cool digital paintings, love the color palettes you've used, great backgrounds too.
Jamie - love the delicate touch you've used, your iris is beautiful. And your second piece is wonderful too, so loose, love it!
Tresgator - wonderful paintings, your oils are lovely and I especially like the backgrounds in the first two. Your watercolor is perfect, I wish I could paint like that.
Lea - fabulous iris, it's so lovely! The background is amazing, love the lighting. Your older piece is just stunning as well.
Kay - The teeny blue iris painting is so sweet and simple. The apricot irises are my favorite and I think the background on that one is particularly awesome.
Sandy - very nice paintings, your yellow and purple iris is my favorite iris color, really nicely done!
Lil - awesome job on the pink iris, it's really lovely, you've captured its delicate coloring well. (I'm painting the same one, but no one will recognize it, the color totally eluded me. )
Cleo - Lovely painting, nice rich color, great movement in your piece.
Chana - what a cool painting! I thought it was a photo of stained glass. Just lovely.
Maureen - Simply beautiful! Your line work is lovely.
Marriam - Fabulous work, I love your negative painting in the first; I recognize your style from the clematis you did for the July challenge in the watercolor forum.
Geej - I laughed when I scrolled back over your paintings - didn't see the photo bomber the first time, too funny! Lovely job on both irises.

#154   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
Trenton, NJ

Hails from United States

Ah, there are more!

Maureen, lovely pen and ink--what a lot of detail that provides! A perfect medium to portray that background. And I love the luscious bright pinks!

Jamie, I love both of your pieces! They are a very different style, but each in their own way is just lovely. The older one is stronger, while the newer one is more delicate, and each uses watercolors in a different but appealing way.

Mariam, lovely watercolor irises...I especially like the orange ones--very soft background, great flow from the watercolors!

geej, I love your sense of humor--what a cute little crasher! And the intricate details on the background of the yellow iris are amazing.

...to glorify God in my own small way by trying to show the beauty He created.
Check out my web site!
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Immortalized
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Well, this was an adventure. I was quite happy with my initial drawing, but it kind of went down hill from there. My hubby commented this morning that the flower needs more depth, and I agree, but it feels so over-painted that I need to put it away for a bit and look at it later. I've started another version, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for hosting these lovelies, Vivien!

Watercolor on a 1/4 sheet of 140 lb Arches

#156   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 02:59 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Joanne - I dont think your Iris needs more depth - its beautiful the way it is! I will add it to the Gallery.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

I have a new iris painting almost completed. It needs to set a while so I can decide what tweaks to make and what background it needs, but I want to post it before the month gets completely away from me. Then, maybe you could give me some feedback to help me decide what's next.

This is done in acrylic on 16 x 16 canvas and based on a reference by jediknl2 in the RIL.

Sorry this is late.
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

Now to comment on the wonderful work already posted.

Vivien...your pastels are gorgeous. I especially like the second one.
Meggs.....who says you can't paint flowers well? These are truly lovely and nicely done.
Karen...your iris is scrumptious! Gorgeous colors!
Christel....superb job in colored pencil. Lovely!
Kitty....all three of yours are so pretty! I can't decide if the 2nd or the 3rd is my favorite....or maybe the 1st?
Deborah.....there is such fluidity and grace in your painting! Nice!
Jean.....both are lovely!
Lea....I like the delicate beauty in yours. Beautiful!
Kay....both are gorgeous, but I especially like the colors in the 2nd one.
Sandy....two beauties!
Lil....your pink beauty is so graceful! Very pretty!
Cleo....such a scrumptious peachy color. Nice!
Jane....both of yours are lovely. I think I might like the 2nd one best.
Tresgatos....four paintings. Wow! And each one is a winner.
Chana.....what a stunning and creative piece! I love it!
Maureen.....what you can do with paper, pen and a few markers. Stunning!
Mariam....two beauties! Lovely!
Geej....two lovely pastels! I especially like the whimsy in the first one.
Joanne....lovely, lovely, lovely! You really achieved the delicacy of the flower.

I think I've gotten everyone. If I left anyone out, please tell me.

Thanks Viv for hosting such a great challenge and selecting such a beautiful bloom!
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.
  #159   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Judy - Beautiful! Gorgeous colors!
I'm making up the Gallery today or tomorrow and will post it on Thursday. Did you have more you wanted to do to your Iris, or would you like me to enter it in the Gallery as is?

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #160   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

Viv, I will likely work on it more but not in time for the gallery, so go ahead and include it as is, a WIP.
  #161   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

I have indeed viewed each and every one of these lovelies it's just so maddening that I don't have time to comment individually as I usually do

So sorry everyone! With this lovely summer we're having I'm only getting two days a week at home - and that's taken up with gardening and laundry!

Looking forward to the Gallery Viv, it should be stupendous! Thanks for the lovely challenge

Thanks for all the comments on my drawing - and I did manage to find this file of the iris, in acrylics, painted a few years ago .... 5" square canvas

No need to add to the Gallery Viv, it is old after all!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Maureen - it may be old but its beautiful - love it!
The Iris Garden is looking spectacular! I think we have something like 35 Irises in it at the moment!

My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 07-28-2014 at 08:16 PM.
  #163   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 12:13 AM

Hails from United States

Wow, everyones Iris are beautiful. Thank you for all the comments on mine. I so appreciate them. I'm trying to find time to comment all, but for now I am very impressed with everyone's work.
  #164   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 AM

Hails from New Zealand

Hi all - I'm making up the Iris Gallery now, so if anybody has more Iris paintings to come, could you post them soon please? I will post the Gallery tomorrow if there are no more paintings to come...or Thursday if someone has more?

Our Iris Garden is looking spectacular and we have 34 Iris paintings in the Gallery at the moment.

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivien Maloney
Hi all - I'm making up the Iris Gallery now, so if anybody has more Iris paintings to come, could you post them soon please? I will post the Gallery tomorrow if there are no more paintings to come...or Thursday if someone has more?
Val, our company left this morning, and I am planning on doing one Wed. aftrenoon, as I dont have to work then. I can just post it after the gallery if you are already finished with it by then.

PAWS Painter (Etsy)