WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2014, 05:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Question regarding Primrose

Several weeks ago, I posted some questions regarding an interesting, evening-blooming plant that we have, and someone was kind enough to have identified my plant as "Evening Primrose".

I now have another question. Do these plants grow every year? Do they maintain their root system throughout our mild winter? Perhaps they re-seed themselves. We have absolutely no idea of what to expect of them.

One thing I can state is that it required two full years for this plant to grow from seed, to the point of blooming.

A couple of years ago, a friend gave us one of those roll-out "blankets" that are impregnated with seeds. We had no idea what to expect, and these Primroses were one of those plants. Took 2 seasons before they bloomed.

So, I just wondered if those plants live through the winter (pretty mild winters in Arizona), or whether they will expire once they have bloomed [like sunflowers do].

Thanks.

Bill

Last edited by WFMartin : 07-05-2014 at 05:51 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Immortalized
Buckeye living with the Gators

Hails from United States
Re: Question regarding Primrose

Evening Primrose is a Perennial, meaning it should come up every year. It may spread more than you want it to...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2014, 04:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Thank you so very much! We can always pull out that which we don't want.

Funny, .....it took the second year for it to do anything in terms of blooming. This summer when it put forth its first blossom, we cheered! When they first began blooming, we counted each blossom, daily. Now, the plants are huge, and we had to tie them to stakes to keep them upright. And, there are hundreds of blooms.

These are our plants, although now they have hundreds of blossoms, and not just the few shown here. The tall ones on the right, are the Primrose--not the little "daisy-type flowers" on the left, which I can't identify, either.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Immortalized
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

The Evening Primrose might actually be a biennial. It forms a basal "rosette" the first year, and the second year you get the stalk with flowers and then the plant will die. Many biennials will re-seed themselves so that they appear to be perennial because there are always plants year after year. From what I can see from internet sources, it might be a bit of a thug, so keep an eye on it if you don't want it to become invasive.

The other yellow flower on the left looks like Rudbeckia.

Lovely flowers!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 05:58 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

William, this might help - Evening Primrose

...and just in case the link doesn't work,
Quote:
There are many desirable perennial evening primroses, raised one year to start flowering from the following season, but far fewer biennials. This one, the common evening primrose that grows wild on waste ground, is a wonderful border plant that is easily raised from seed. Plants first develop deep taproots and rosettes of winter-hardy leaves and then, in the second year, branching stems appear, up to 1.2m (4ft) or even more in fertile soil. These carry the familiar, very fragrant yellow flowers, 5cm (2in) across and opening in the evening.
The Royal Horticultural society says -
Quote:
Other common names
Common evening primrose
Coffee plant

Synonyms
Oenothera glabra Miller
Oenothera odorata Hook. & Arn.
Genus
Oenothera can be annuals, biennials or perennials, upright or spreading in habit, with simple or lobed leaves and bowl-shaped, white, yellow or pink flowers over a long period in summer
Family
Onagraceae / Onagraceae
Species
O. biennis is an erect biennial to 1.5m, with a basal rosette of oblong leaves and long, leafy racemes of bowl-shaped, fragrant, yellow flowers which open in the evening in summer and autumn

So it looks like yours is a perennial.

A page of yellow daisies at the RHS - maybe helps to identify yours?

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**