WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Inspirational Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 PM

Hails from United States
New to Painting

Okay I am 45 years old but haven't painted seriously since high school. I just completed my first portrait in oil (first pic). I was inspired to begin this work on the Feast of the Sorrowful Mother. I was anointed by my priest on that day 5 years ago when I was told my breast cancer had spread to my liver. Subsequent MRI's showed the spots had disappeared. This portrait was painted with great love and devotion!
I've started on my second work (second photo)and Keep in mind this is not even close to complete. Still agonizing over baby hair! But wanted to contrast Mary's great Joy with her great sorrow. Painting is so very spiritual!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: New to Painting

They make a wonderful pair. Welcome back to painting and thank you for sharing your story of healing with us.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Enthusiast
Armstrong Valley

Hails from United States

You have a wonderful story and I hope your remission continues. I am not sure what the tradition is in Inspirational Art, but I believe the first is of Christ post-crucifixion and his skin color is exactly the same as his living breathing mother next to him. In my experience, pallor is usually seen post-mortem...somewhat like his skin color in the second work in progress. Then again, that may not be traditional in Inspirational Art, still it is very nice work after the long painting hiatus. Keep up the good work.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Canada

Hails from Canada

Look who's been hiding their light under a bushel!!! Portraits are so difficult and these are beautiful and tell a deeper meaning in the faces!.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Louisiana

Hails from United States

wonderful and happy to know Jesus heals
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM

Hails from United States

I was just checking in on the site to get some tips for my newest painting (I take long breaks!) and thought I'd post the completed Mary and Infant Jesus. Tell me what you think...honestly. This is the site I trust to give good advise.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

First, I hope you remain well.
Beautiful works. The update with infant Jesus is lovely and the only thing I might suggest, since you ask, is lightening the darkness inside the mouth of the baby. You have created a classic look to the painting and you should be very pleased.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2013, 05:10 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you! I think you're right about the mouth. Okay so this is the one I'm working on now. Still in progress and open for suggestions. I'm working on the halo in particular and question the tones of the halo as compared with the skin. I've debated removing the halo but want a very old look and halos sadly were phased out of religious. I'd like to bring back the opulence in my work. Also, I wonder if this piece is just too boring? Should I have him doing more or is the pose too close to involve his hands?

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

I think for a painting such as this the key will be the eyes and right now the light on the bridge of the nose reduces their impact, in my humble opinion.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 PM

Hails from United States

That never would have occurred to me. So I need to darken the bridge of the nose? Should I carry that to the forehead as well?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
Louisiana

Hails from United States

cool. work on the middle tones always keep that in mind when painting portraits.
just learn that so do not take it bad. I need to also. just a reminder.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 AM

Hails from United States

Keeping in mind that I'm a complete novice and love to get advise... how do I work on my middle tones? Do you mean that it's too dark and too light and not enough in-between?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
Louisiana

Hails from United States

No you ok. I just learning about mid tones too. I just got a book on John Singer Sargent who is one of the great portrait painters of the 1800's . he say to study Fran Hals and Diego Velazquez to learn portrait painting. He also study under Carolus Duran who emphasized schemes and the importances of color values and halftones. Sargent abilities soon supersede those of his mater Duran but he had respect for him all his life.
I been just painting for two and a halve years and am 61 years old. I just learning too .
I googled john Sargent technique and read how he did it. In other words I almost self teach so I do not know that much also. I just do what I do and learning as I go. I some how got into a gallery where the members vote you in. I know some people did not get in. i did some how because they like my work. your work is more refine that mine. i a simple painter and I know it realistic that lends an existence of surrealism as the gallery I joined would tell me .
I see you doing your best to get more realistic in your painting. So do like Sargent did and study the men he studied. I know I will. I like your work and keep it up by all means.
I know when i started I had a house painting expert behind me as that what I did as a living but I had to retire early because of bad knees. maybe that what help me to start painting and be as good as i am. Plus i pray and ask the Lord to help me too that a big help as I believe He do help me.
I telling you this to show where i comeing from.
Oh this site do have a treat you may like on John Sargent. it good
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954095

I was going to go to college but I talk to two people and they say the college here is not too good for teaching what you need to know about art. Do not even teach color theory so i had to go on the web and be self teach on that too. just teach you the basic and then you on your own. they motivate you and that all. I got as many ideas as the stars you see when you look up at the night sky. just pick one and do it.

I had to google halftones just to learn what that is and values also still thinking about that one

Last edited by jocko500 : 07-25-2013 at 02:20 AM. Reason: forgot some words to expace myself
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
Louisiana

Hails from United States

here another link that you may like
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422890
he is Caravaggio. another man to look at here another link also with good links to start at. some links been taken down lol

of course you can do like me and google caravaggio technique. i like this man too
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambssupper
Thank you! I think you're right about the mouth. Okay so this is the one I'm working on now. Still in progress and open for suggestions. I'm working on the halo in particular and question the tones of the halo as compared with the skin. I've debated removing the halo but want a very old look and halos sadly were phased out of religious. I'd like to bring back the opulence in my work. Also, I wonder if this piece is just too boring? Should I have him doing more or is the pose too close to involve his hands?

A nice painting for sure! One challenge is that the halo is all warm and golden-y orange so it makes his skin feel even cooler than it is. Colors work in comparison to other colors nearby (and values) so you may be well-served to warm up the skin tones with a glaze (using a medium you like - with very little pigment mixed in) or with scumbling on of some warmer colors that match the values you are after.

I hope that can be of use!

Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram