WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2012, 06:23 PM

best inkjet printer for mixed-media artists

Wondering if any of you can recommend best inkjet printers for mixed-media artists? Desiring an all-in-on printer (i.e. printer, fax, copier & scanner) that isn't too terribly expensive, which would provide high head clearance (for use w/ thicker print surfaces), large format option, pigmented/archival inks, possible straight paper feed, photo-quality, color composite, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Baltimore, Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: best inkjet printer for mixed-media artists

If you are planning to sell your prints to stores, galleries etc. I would strongly recommend you go to a fine art reproduction studio that has a Betterlight scanner with good lighting. It may cost more up front but the lost business you will suffer using a cheap scanner/printer will put you out of business before you start.

If you are just starting out and you want to make sample prints, I would still recommend staying away from an all in one printer. You would be much better served to buy a used SLR camera and photograph your pieces outside and also buy a used Epson 4000 or something like that.

I see many artists make the mistake of trying to do it all themselves. If you want to compete with other artists selling prints, you need your prints to be stunning.(good art helps too!) Going cheap is wasted money.

At least look into having scans made by a professional, (not a photographer, Kinko's, Staples, or friend) If you skimp on photographing your art now, you will be sorry down the road when your art is gone and you want to make large, quality prints.

Most Epson printers will give you good quality if you have a good scan to start with. Try to stay away from printers that put multiple inks in one cartridge. These are extremely wasteful as they make you throw away good ink. Epson sells printers that allow you to buy individual cartridges. This will lower your cost per print. Once you have your printer, use quality paper. Look at Lexjet.com or Breathing Color for cotton rag paper. This will also set you apart from the people buying paper at a big box store. There is a major difference!

Good Luck!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks, "archivalarts," for your helpful reply. I'm definitely using a professional photographer for shooting my work. Hoping to do some playing around w/ my own photos & using more digital work in my mixed media artist books. So the suggestions about going for an Epson printer (w/ separate ink cartridges) is helpful. And will check out the cotton rag paper you recommended. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM

FYI you can print on Acrylic skins and coat almost any surface with Golden brand's digital grounds. Results are amazing even with cheap printers for creating original work. Just be careful with cheap inks, they do fade.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Central, Kansas

Hails from United States

My major printer is the wide format Epson Stylus Photo R2000. Prints photos glossy and mat. A great all purpose printer, you want 11 or 13" wide, it will do it for you.