WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#181   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: Roche pastels

Vincent and anyone interested, the Unisons were designed by an artist, suiting the light and the colours of Northumberland (I think) in England. Cool rainy climate, with lots of ocean around the islands -- that'd give a need for a lot of blues.

The G set would be designed for the French light and colours, which would be different.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #182   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

That explains a lot, including the slightly muted cool reds. I love my Unisons but I wish they'd included bright saturated reds, pinks and magentas. Being in sunny California, it would be nice if they added some. But I might find equivalents in Mount Vision or other hand rolled pastels.

Actually that may make it a good idea to consider getting some of those full range color charts from Dakota.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #183   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2014, 03:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Robert, as I heard it from his wife, the artist used only lightfast pigments for his pastels. That limits the number of colours.

Many cool reds are not lightfast. That vivid icy pink one finds in cheaper sets is usually fugitive. Or, a red may be good enough at full strength, but fugitive in tints.

La Maison du Pastel, makers of Roché, assert that their pigments are lightfast.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #184   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Good points, Charlie. Also the brightest cool reds in the Unisons range might not be the ones included in the general assortment, with so many rich colors in the newer ranges. I think Special Collection had some bright red-violets in it, seem to recall magentas there.

Of course it would be so nice to replace just half a dozen Unisons with Roche equivalents, get my bright cool red in there... those are too droolworthy. But then I'd want more...

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 07-15-2014 at 05:29 PM.