Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals ART-JJs Urban Sketches August – December 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 130 total)
  • Author

[FONT=Times New Roman]I took my car through the car wash this morning, and on the way home, I stopped at this gorgeous chapel. I have been meaning to do so for such a long time, and i am glad I did. It is totally charming. There are about 400 graves here, all pioneers and their relatives of the Tingalpa District.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Tingalpa Pioneers’ Chapel, Christ Church, was founded by the Anglicans founded in 1868
    It was – Demolished by cyclone in 1885 and rebuilt using the original timbers, where there are
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman] the graves of pioneers and their descendants, dating from 1868 to 2008. The Chapel was Decommissioned and stripped for demolition in 1996 but saved when chapel and cemetery were Heritage Listed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Sketched in my 8.5″ x 6′ sketchbook HB and 2B Faber Castell graphite [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial] [/FONT]

JJ
    Let go of past mistakes and hurts. Forgive and empower yourself. Live the life you were meant to live. And, be at peace with yourself.
    MY BLOG
    My Youtube videos

Lovely, JJ, especially the ink one!

Cheers, Lynn
    www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/lynn-macintyre
    "Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

Thanks so much for popping in and for your support :)

JJ
    Let go of past mistakes and hurts. Forgive and empower yourself. Live the life you were meant to live. And, be at peace with yourself.
    MY BLOG
    My Youtube videos

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I had a lovely morning with fellow Brisbane City Sketcher[/URL] John, sketching this magnificent church. It was a tad cool, with a nasty westerly wind blowing on us in our exposed position outside the South Brisbane Train Station..[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This drawing was a challenge, but fun to do..
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]History of the Church;
    The congregation of the South Brisbane Congregational Church first met in 1865 in the Mechanics Institute, Stanley Street, but they built a fine wooden building in Grey Street, which was opened in January 1867. It was dismantled following the 1893 floods, and rebuilt in Vulture Street. The congregation moved to the rebuilt building on Sunday 23 July 1893. The wooden church was gutted by fire on 16 October 1931, and the congregation repaired in the short term to the Hall for services. A new octagonal church, designed by T.B.F. Gargett of Brisbane, was opened and dedicated on 9 September 1933. The congregation ceased to worship at this location in 1975, and the building was sold to the Serbian Orthodox congregation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]St Nicholas Free Serbian Orthodox Church.[/URL][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]Sketched in my 8.5″ x 6″ handmade sketchbook graphite/pen/watercolour.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Cars are not my strong point, yet.[/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

JJ
    MY BLOG
    My Youtube videos

That’s fabulous, JJ! What fun you had :)

Cheers, Lynn
    www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/lynn-macintyre
    "Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

Thank you so much Lynn!! xx

JJ
    MY BLOG
    My Youtube videos

Darci Jones

Lovely sketches! I especially like the ink sketch of the chapel. And the second building is so intricate but you captured it well. Nicely done.

Thank you so very much RainySea

JJ
        MY BLOG
        My Youtube videos

Joan T

Love the chapel and the Orthodox Church. Well done!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Thank you Joan xx

JJ
            MY BLOG
            My Youtube videos

Sonia

You did well with all those angles on the Orthodox Church – that would have frightened me off!!

:) It nearly frightened me off to Sonia

JJ
                MY BLOG
                My Youtube videos

I had a lovely afternoon sketching with a friend in her complex gardens. This corner with all the angels appealed to me, so I decided to give it a go.

Sketched in my Holcroft 6″ x 8″ sketchbook with pen and watercolour

JJ
                MY BLOG
                My Youtube videos

What a wonderful morning, sketching with the Brisbane City Sketchers at Gardens Point. We sketched the magnificent Mansions, or part thereof. Such a beautiful building, but very intimidating. I started with graphite, then inked it then watercolour.

THE MANSIONS; designed by G.H.M. Addison and built in 1889 by RE Burton.
                By 30 November 1889 two of the villas were occupied by members of parliament, William Pattison and the Hon. Hume Black. Advertisements in the Brisbane Courier for tenants to let both the “George Street Mansions and Harris Terrace” on the opposite corner of Margaret Street appeared in the Brisbane Courier during December 1889. Other early residents were doctors – in 1890 Dr Fourness Simmons and a Dr Bennett.
                In December 1891, Dr Lilian Cooper, Queensland’s first woman doctor and Australia’s first female surgeon, established her consulting rooms in The Mansions and resided there for several years after the 1893 floods.

I sketched this in my handmade 8″ x 7.5 sketchbook on 90lb paper.

JJ
                MY BLOG
                My Youtube videos

Super sketch JJ.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 130 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.