Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking linocut – problem

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    filippatove

Hello!
        I’m new here and this is my first post, if this type of question has been up before I’m sorry!

I’ve just started with linocut and I have problem keeping ink on the plate when I shall print. I use softcut plate and ”Schmincke ink for linoprint” (waterbased). I roll the roller with ink, as I learn on printmaking classes and get that sound that you can look after. But when I roll the plate the ink immediate start to dissapear. I have attached a picture so you can see. I’ve tried to print a couple of prints anyway just to see if the ink gets better but it still dissapears! And the print areas where it supposed to get black just don’t get black at all. What do you think is the problem and what can I change? I’m very happy for any tip!

contumacious

Try a different ink perhaps? Or add a modifier to the ink you already have.

filippatove

Thank you! I will try that :)

blackandwhite

It looks that the plate surface might be oily or greasy and that prevents the water-based ink from sticking to the surface. Try washing the plate with dishwashing detergent to remove any oily stuff. If that doesn’t help, take about teaspoon of soy sauce (the usual cooking stuff), wipe it to the plate and then rinse it away with water. Soy sauce is very good in removing grease and helps in wetting the plate with water-based inks (I freaquently use it with copper plates).

Hi yeah it does look like a greasy plate as previously mentioned. You should check out Caligo Relief Inks which are oil based, but can be cleaned up with water and soap. You will get more dense ink and better quality print than normal waterbased inks.

Good luck!

contumacious

You may want to look at Akua inks as well. I had problems with Caligo inks not drying even after a year. Your mileage may vary.

filippatove

Thank you so much for your answers!! I will try it :) :clap:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.