WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil > Colored Pencil Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2015, 03:23 AM

Hails from Finland
Re: Sharpener reviews/recommendations - June 2015

I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to sharpeners and I don't really have access to all the fancy stuff.

I saw a lot of Polychromos artists recommending a crank sharpener so I got myself a Staedtler rotary sharpener. It gets the job done but there was a time where I thought I had managed to break it since it was no longer sharpening the pencils into a fine point but it turned out that the little screw at the end had loosened up. Apparently it controls the sharpening point. I didn't know this because the sharpener didn't have ANY manual with it.

The sharpener itself is a bit flimsy. I have dislodged the sharpener from my table a couple of times. A sharpener that costs 30€ shouldn't be this flimsy.

When I'm not using the Staedtler crank sharpener I use a regular handheld sharpener from the same company. The one with a reserve. It's portable enough and I don't need a separate container for all the shavings.

I also bought a Jakar electric sharpener (the cheaper one) but it just feels plain awkward and seems to eat away my pencils like a hungry rabbit.

I've been thinking about ordering the Jakar crank sharpener the next time I order from Jackson's. Anyone have any experience of it? At least Amazon has some really good things said about it.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2015, 07:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

I have been using the Xacto School Pro fro a long time. Lots of pencil widths will fit in, it has a big shaving container, it is fast and sharpens well.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2015, 06:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portland Victoria

Hails from Australia

I only use metal sharpeners. I buy mine from the supermarket, homebrand, so they are inexpensive and they last me a while - 2 pack for about $3 to $4au. I have a prismacolor pencil sharpener with the option for a fine tip but I rarely use it becoz i have better control with my metal one. I find alot of sharpeners just chew up the pencils. With my basic metal one I can control if i want to utilise the whole of the pencil or just the tip itself for ultra fine points so my pencils last me longer.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Thank you for all of the recommendations! Keep them coming!

For any sharpener, it is helpful to sharpen a graphite pencil in it periodically. This helps to clean the blades of the the oil, waxy cp gunk.

Save
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I am looking for a pencil sharpener that will sharpen very sharp and sharpen different sizes of pencils as well, this is most important.I dont care if it it is hand crank, electric or battery operated. I use mostly wood case grapjite pencils ut I do have a few woodless graphite pencils. (My watercolor pencils and pastell pencils I hand sharpen.)
If someone has some recomendations I would be grateful if you could lrivate message me. I may not be back to this forum in a while.
Thanks ,
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Sharpener reviews/recommendations - June 2015 MOST RECENT

After going through 2 Xacto electric pencil sharpeners that did the job for awhile, but now just eat pencils, even graphite pencils, I am using cheap General's All Art hand held sharpeners which come in a pack of 3 for about $3.89 or so at Hobby Lobby. I am waiting until I read all of these reviews before investing in another electric one. I really want one, but I want to get one that will work for years before it dies.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Fremantle, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

I agree with Dianne and Jim, I couldn't live without my Carl Angel 5, and recently bought 2 spares to stash away in case they become unavailable.

They are made in Japan, are of great rugged construction and the helical blades produce a long taper with a hollow grind for very long and super sharp points, which means that the points last and last. When used to sharpen the hard H's graphite the point will last for 2 or 3 drawings, without having to resharoen the pencil, whilst the soft high B's will last the full drawing, with maybe just a touch up here and there with sandpaper to restore a very sharp point.

They cost $46Aud here, so those who bought theirs in the US appear to have got a good deal in comparison.

In this reposted photo it is laying on its side for demonstration purposes elsewhere, hence the included essentials for a travelling graphite pencil set.

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Fremantle, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Top of the pops for me like many others is the Carl Angel 5.

(On its side in the photo because I posted this for something else)

It is a Japanese made sturdy metal case, hand cranked helical blade long point sharpener that produces a very long taper hollow grind. If you know what hollow ground means.
The ultra points therefore last and last. I only use it for wood cased graphite pencils where I need such points, and also for hard oil based colour pencils that I use for sharp or point work.

For blocking in points on wood cased graphite pencils, woodless graphite pencils, and softer oil based colour pencils I use either a Koh-I-Noor wooden two stage short taper hand sharpener, (pictured), or the Kum metal similar short taper which has a magnesium blade. The Kum is also available as a long taper sharpener in single or two stage metal hand sharpeners. Kum sharpeners come in different configurations and sizes to suit round/ triangular/giant etc. wood case pencils. These are very very sharp, and can be improved by removing the blade and scraping off the painted coating to re-seat the blade nicely. Kums are are really high quality, and versatile sharpener.

Many people prefer the small hand sharpeners for portability, and because they are easy to see and control during the sharpening for maximum point precision and most of all economy.

The electric or hand cranked whilst effortlessly producing very fine points, are much harder to see during sharpening, and consequently for many tend to really strip down the pencil unnecessarily. And of course aren't quite so portable.

Terry

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 12:57 AM
New Jersey, USA

Hails from United States

I have a regular sharpener machine! And sometimes I use a blade to sharpen my colored pencils. It is very useful to have sharpened tips of pencils when you draw. Doing so you will have great effects in your drawings.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States

I been using a Derwent Super Point hand crank sharpener for a month or so now. I am quite pleased and have run many hundreds of CP, pastel and graphite pencils through this thing. It is the best I have used so far. I normally sharpen everything with a blade, but I am very, very happy with this unit. I am getting cp and graphite core fine points over 1/2" long, pastel pencils I'm holding a little bit shorter. I believe this retails for $35-40. I bought it off the clearance rack for $12, it was a return. I would gladly pay full retail for this...
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2018, 03:48 AM
Northern Virginia

Hails from United States

I have been using a Kum automatic long point sharpener for my Polychromos and was very happy with it until recently. Suddenly, it stopped working, even after I replaced the blades, which had always worked before.

It is as if Polychromos changed the density of their wood casings.

I have a couple of other sharpeners that work, but don’t give me the long awesome point that the Kum device does.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks,
Mary.

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." -- Pablo Picasso