WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2006, 09:20 AM
England (Winchester)

Hails from United Kingdom
Mixing acrylics and gouache?

I just wondered if it was possible to mix acrylic paint with gouache. I paint using gouache, but i'm going to run out of white soon and i don't know anywhere round here that sells gouache in individual tubes, just in packs of lots of different colours. So would it be possible to mix white acrylic with gouache colours, or is that likely to cause a disaster?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: Mixing acrylics and gouache?

Yes, you can mix gouache and acrylics. However, certain gouache colors, mainly pinks and violets, can react with the alkaline acrylic. You just need to test the colors mixtures before applying them. Any mixture that gets thick and lumpy is having a reaction. Winsor and Newton have information on this on their website under the Gouache section, download the "general" article and look at the "making gouache waterproof" section.

Brian Firth
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
NJ

Hails from United States
Question Re: Mixing acrylics and gouache?

can you please explain to me, what gouchew is, and whAT sort of paint is used? is it water-soluble? i paint with thick texture, using acrylic s. how does this dffer?
, Amy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Immortalized
California

Re: Mixing acrylics and gouache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinky
can you please explain to me, what gouchew is, and whAT sort of paint is used? is it water-soluble? i paint with thick texture, using acrylics. how does this dffer? Amy

Amy, I consider gouache a different medium. It comes in pans and tubes. I think it's more like an opaque watercolor. It is water soluble. And I've heard some people mix acrylic and watercolor paints, so I guess Becca is thinking along the same lines. I've never tried it, so I can't answer Becca's question.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2006, 12:27 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Firth
Yes, you can mix gouache and acrylics. However, certain gouache colors, mainly pinks and violets, can react with the alkaline acrylic. You just need to test the colors mixtures before applying them. Any mixture that gets thick and lumpy is having a reaction. Winsor and Newton have information on this on their website under the Gouache section, download the "general" article and look at the "making gouache waterproof" section.
Thanks for that Brian, good info.

This should become obvious when you try it Becca but when using an insoluble medium like acrylic with a soluble medium like gouache any direct mixtures of the two tend to have a blend of the working properties. In short: if the mixture is mostly acrylic it'll still be waterproof; if the mixture has more gouache in it it'll tend to be soluble when dry. So you may need to factor this in when working in layers or on adjacent areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinky
can you please explain to me, what gouchew is...
Amy, gouache is basically opaque watercolour.

If you see a reference to bodycolour in older books or in relation to older works ("Watercolour with bodycolour" in the description of a painting) it often means the same thing.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk