Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions Non-occidental art history book suggestion?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SnapV

Does anyone has a suggestion for a book on art history of other cultures than European/Occidental. I am currently reading a really interesting art history book but it does not mention at all art from other cultures.

Thank you!

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

Use Her Name

Although this is my own interest, I suggest it although it has within it, a “touch” of occidental art.

I have a book called “Hispanic Arts and Ethnohistory in the Southwest.” Ancient City Press, New Mexico. Authors Weigle, Lacombe, Lacombe. 1983.

Although “Hispanic” is a linguistic type which includes European Spanish, it covers South America, and the Southwest (Mexico). Spain is in Europe though, so you would class that part of Hispanic with the Occidental. The colonial Southwest of the USA is interesting for its art sensibilities melding Mexican (Aztec and Spanish), Southwest American Indian (Zuni, Zia, Navajo), and folk Spanish art.

These artistic sensibilities are carried forward by modern Southwestern artists (different than “western artists”).

Another reason I suggest this type of art is that if you are in N. America, there is a chance of visiting these areas and seeing this art, and the artists without the expense of going to Japan, China, India or the Congo.

There are many fine art history books on nearly any kind of art. Asian, African, Middle Eastren. I guess you have to poke around the bookstores. I’ve found a lot of books at bookstores, and also on Amazon in “used books.” Another place to get discount books is at Library book sales. There is actually a problem getting books that appeal to limited audiences (for instance, academic books). Publishers these days are so hypnotized by profits, that they will not publish books that do not promise to bring in good profits on a first run. These are often books that only appeal to people not interested in the more in-depth aspects of learning about a subject. What books you have coincides with how you are able to source them.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

SnapV

Thank you very much Katy, I will look that book up! :)

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

Use Her Name

Thank you very much Katy, I will look that book up! :)

Hi SnapV, I went back and added some more to my post.

I was trying to suggest alternative places to “get” books. I am a recidivist book collector. I tend to always look for rare and unusual art/ art history books.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

stlukesguild

This is an old question but I would ask which non-Western cultures are you interested in. There are several textbooks on Non-Western art history, but from what I’ve seen, these aren’t the best means of exploring the vast array of art you are talking about. Rather, you might do well to explore the various big coffee table books available (often reasonably priced through used book stores… or on Amazon) on the various non-Western cultures: Persian, Islamic, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, pre-Columbian, etc…

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                        "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                        "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

Kosmon

Although this is my own interest, I suggest it although it has within it, a “touch” of occidental art.

I have a book called “Hispanic Arts and Ethnohistory in the Southwest.” Ancient City Press, New Mexico. Authors Weigle, Lacombe, Lacombe. 1983.

Although “Hispanic” is a linguistic type which includes European Spanish, it covers South America, and the Southwest (Mexico). Spain is in Europe though, so you would class that part of Hispanic with the Occidental. The colonial Southwest of the USA is interesting for its art sensibilities melding Mexican (Aztec and Spanish), Southwest American Indian (Zuni, Zia, Navajo), and folk Spanish art.

These artistic sensibilities are carried forward by modern Southwestern artists (different than “western artists”).

Another reason I suggest this type of art is that if you are in N. America, there is a chance of visiting these areas and seeing this art, and the artists without the expense of going to Japan, China, India or the Congo.

Also on this front is the wonderful book The Road to Aztlan – Art from a Mythic Homeland (ed. Fields and Zamudio-Taylor, 2001). It was printed in conjunction with an exhibition of the same name at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.

It’s not a comprehensive overview, rather a beautifully illustrated collection of 20 essays by experts in art, archaeology, history, etc. Focused on Mexico and the southwest US, the essays cover a wide range of topics from prehistoric Mesoamerican art to southwestern rock art, pottery, textiles, cultural connections between Mexico and southwestern pueblos, the European encounters, up to modern Chicano art.

10-15 years ago it was easy to find affordably priced used copies (over the years I probably gave away a half dozen copies to friends and relatives). I just took a quick peek at Amazon and see that it’s still readily available and affordable.

Well worth looking up if you’re interested in this part of the world.

Kos

Hemmed & Hawn
                            from
                            PERESTRELLO's BOX[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
                            Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
                          Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.