Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Comic done in coloured pencil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    IsobelW

Hi! I’d like to know what you think about a comic done entirely in coloured pencil. It sounds crazy, I know. But I love coloured pencil,though I’ve only recently got a good set, and I like drawing comics, a lot. What do you think? This is an idea I have had (I hope it looks all right, scanning and uploading was a nightmare :lol:) I’d like to know what you think. By the way, the resolution has completely ruined the picture. Does anyone have advice about scanning?

HarvestMoon

Isobel,

Nice job on your comic! I edited your photo with my ipads photo editor to make it easier to see.

Harvest Moon 🐐

IsobelW

Thanks!

Pingpongfan

What brand of pencils did you get. What kind if paper is your sketch book. The better the paper and pencils, the better the end result. You will get brighter colours with more layers. All kinds of drawing is good. The main thing is to keep on drawing and most of all enjoy the process. I’m looking forward to seeing your next one.
                    Vena

HarvestMoon

If you want bright colors, see my post here. https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428626

Harvest Moon 🐐

You will struggle a bit with speed (since comics need more than 1 page at the long run). Might be good to consider mixing media. Use the Colored pencil over something else to help get large tonal masses. For example copic markers or acrilics.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

IsobelW

Thanks! I can’t afford copics (would love to try them, though, they look awesome) or most markers. Maybe I could use cheaper markers? By the way, for acrylics, what paper would you suggest? I have some good water colour paper, but not much (you guessed it, it costs a lot!) But I do have some paper that can take light water colour washes. What are your thoughts on paper for colouring comics with acrylic, water colour or gouache?

Thanks! I can’t afford copics (would love to try them, though, they look awesome) or most markers. Maybe I could use cheaper markers? By the way, for acrylics, what paper would you suggest? I have some good water colour paper, but not much (you guessed it, it costs a lot!) But I do have some paper that can take light water colour washes. What are your thoughts on paper for colouring comics with acrylic, water colour or gouache?

Water color paper is Ok for acrilics, never tried gouache but hasve seen good works made with them.

For acrilics combined with colored pencils .. I just LOVE the work of this guy and since you like comics I think you will like it as well:
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/LaffertySketchCards?feature=em-lss

for usage of markers to bring up the mood color:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0NtXWvQEI

For the usage of gouache :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPR61aU5CyE

Watercolors can work as well but they are less powerful as coverage media.

You can use markers cheaper than copics. Copics are a bit overpriced because their name brand brings that up, but you have some reasonably good markers costing much less. I think there is a subforum for them around here that you can ask about.

Remember you do not need lots of colors unlike colored pencils. You can get 1 marker of a base color you decide as a warm background other a cold then subtle tones of the primary colors so you can blend and mix coverage colors that you will then cover with less layers of colored pencil for a faster work. So you can probably do it with some 6-7 markers only for starting.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

HarvestMoon

I saw someone recently do a terrific comic figure with crayola markers, which surprised me how nice it looked. Sign up for Michaels emails, the almost always have 40% off of one item. You can show them your coupon on your cell phone. They also have paper by Canson I think designed for comics. I get smoother coverage with gouache than watercolor.

Harvest Moon 🐐

IsobelW

Thanks for all the advice! I am experimenting with different colouring techniques right now,so all of this is interesting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.