WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Self Portraits- join in the fun!

Leeann, the addition of tone has given a whole different feel to your self-portrait!
What a great project, Jeanne! A sp every month! I admire your dedication!
Like I said at the beginning of the thread- I really thought it would be difficult to face my demons (sorry for the bad pun!)
What I found instead was that I got caught up in the challenge of painting quickly and trying to get a likeness of what I saw.
It became easier and easier to just see the image of another person- who wasn't necessarily me!
I got some very interesting reactions when it was displayed on the weekend at my group portrait exhibition. The other artists thought it was a good job. It gave another perspective when I was talking to the subjects of the portraits we had drawn over the year, too.
Kevin, thanks for dropping by! Care to join us? If you can spare the time? Show us how its done?

Last edited by bethanyt : 01-17-2011 at 05:56 AM.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
Midlands,UK

Hails from Australia

calling it a day on this now..hands are the devil to get right. As an sp think its the best i've done so far.
Bethany you sure have started something here...Jim started a nude sp thread a while back however it didnt really take off
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Besançon, France

Hails from France

Bethany, thank you for this exciting thread.
As this is my first post of 2011 on WetCanvas! I hope it's not too late to wish you all a happy new year.

This is a self portrait I painted in November of 2009, from a photograph shot for this project. I used only two colors, burnt Sienna and a blue, I don't remember wich one, probably Prussian blue.

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Huntsville, Alabama

Hails from United States

Jeanne, I know what you mean about people you know commenting about you not smiling in your drawings. I guess I smile a lot too but my drawing shows a very serious (no smile) side. One of my co-workers said:"that's not you, you're not smiling". But it's so difficult to smile while looking in the mirror. Maybe the next one I do will be from a photograph.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Annemarie- I think the hands are spot-on! I am pleased to hear you think this is your best sp so far! Makes me proud that we were first to see it here in this thread!!
Brave as I am- not sure if I'm ready for a nude sp!! ;o
Ghislaine, you are very welcome- thanks for joining in the fun. This is a beautifully composed self-portrait. I love the subtle colour variations as well. Checked out your blog- beautiful work!
Leeann, I agree about the smile- I just got a very concentrated expression!

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Hi Guys

haven't been on WC for AAAAGGGES but liked this thread. Here is an oil self-portrait I did in my painting class a few months back over two (or was it 3?) classes. The eyes don't really look that red - looks a bit freaky! Actually, the whole painting seems to have taken on a red tint in the photo... the background is actually kind of greenish

Julia

Last edited by juliajane : 01-18-2011 at 08:14 AM.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsrc
What great work in this thread! I posted this probably 2 years ago when I did it, but since you asked whether we had done one in the past I thought that it would be ok to re-post it. Its graphite on white paper. I've been thinking about doind another one soon.

love this!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyt

Ok now I really am finished with her- just a few more strokes to put that far eye back and the hair.
Annemarie- looking really fab!
Becca- thank you for that!
Thanks Michelle... if you included me?

Fabulous work Bethany... I like everyone's work - you're all so talented!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

A great thread. Anyone interested in seeing self-portraits through the ages might try to locate a book, apparently collected by Julian Bell, entitled "500 Self-Portraits", Phaidon, 2000/2004 in pbk. The earliest work, #001, is in stone from 2350 BCE. The last one, #500, is in 1997. I picked up a copy from Edward R. Hamilton, Bookseller for about USD5.00 some time ago.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 01:57 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Julia- great to see another great self- portrait here! Was this done with a mirror? I really like the red- but it has to look right to you (of course).
Thanks for the kind comment about my sp-
I have been patting myself on the back a bit.... when today I showed it to a close friend who said
"Oh... you haven't done yourself any favours, have you?" I just tried to paint what I saw!

Old hobbyist- thanks for having a look.
I have a link to this Self-Portrait exhibition from the Royal Society of Portrait Painters 2007 here Click on the catalogue cover, and you can download the catalogue and look at all the paintings- really good to see! and I love what the artists write about the process as well.

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Hi Bethany - yes, done with a mirror. You can see my working arm outstretched there...

I spent hours today looking at all the posts in the portrait swap thread. Great work. Wanted to say I love your style.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Julia, thank you so much for saying that!
I am always learning, and when someone takes the time to say they can see something in my painting-
it means a lot to me!

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

Pleased to see so many having a go - particularly those using the dreaded mirror. Here is the start of a new mirror self portrait - about 1 hour in so far. Nose seems broken at the moment but I promise to get it fixed later this afteernoon.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portra...d/138500326536
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

A little more work done this afternoon.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portra...d/138500326536
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Sydney