WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 05:17 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Okay, the glue on one eye was dry enough for me to attach the ears before adding the other eye, so that's what I did.

You start by just poking a hole in the head where you want the ear to go. This is another great thing about raw silk. Many fabrics would tear and fray if you tried to do this, but with raw silk the weave just parts and stretches a bit but doesn't tear. It's great. So anyway, I use the skewer to do this, forcing it slowly into the dragon's head where I want the ear (heh, brain surgery!) to be.

Here's the hole that's left when you take the skewer back out. Not sure if you can see it well enough, but the fabric is still just fine.

Then you poke the end of the ear into the hole. Sometimes I use the skewer to do this, sometimes I have to use a needle to force it in there. But you just have to work at it until you get the ear in there a good 1/4" at least, like this.

Then you sew the ear down using a slip stitch and/or a hidden running stitch. You sew all around the hole, and you can tack the back of the ear down to the head a little bit as well, to help keep it in place. You don't have to worry too much about that, though, since the gesso you apply later will firm the ear up and keep it where you want it.

Here's a closeup of the ear sewn down.

Thirdroar - My Portfolio.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 05:30 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
All right, let me start posting about the wings. I'll have to admit right from the start that I don't know what I'm doing with these wings, lol. I made a big pair of wings for the last dragon fabric sculpture I did, but I wasn't really pleased with the way they turned out. So I'm going to approach these a little differently. So I'm making it up as I go along, and you may get to see me goof up, heh.

I want the wings to be semi-furled, like he's just walking along flexing them slightly. But I need a proper wing shape to start with, so I took my pattern and traced part of the body onto a new sheet of paper and drew a wing diagram onto it.

Then I cut pieces of wire to shape into the wing framework. I doubled the wire on the 'arm' of the wing, for support. All of the wire will end up being covered with magic sculpt to give it shape and strength, though, so I don't need to worry TOO much about the wire construction. I hope. Anyway here's the wire framework for the wing. Notice I left a lot of extra wire extending down the wing 'arm', where it will be inserted into the body. You need this to be able to keep the wing in place once you attach it, because it'll end up being pretty substantial.

And then I bent the wing wires into what I think will work out as a semi-furled wing, and started adding the magic sculpt to build it up.

That's it so far. The wings are going to be a challenge.

Amy
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 09:03 PM
A Local Legend
Belfast. N.Ireland

Hails from United Kingdom
Wink Amy.

I talked you into doing this demo, bet you are swearing at me now.
I think its looking great, I hope people realize the work you are putting into this thread, and rating the thread ( bottom of the page ), so that it gets the recognition it deserves.
I to, cant wait to see it finished.

Joe
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 11:17 PM
A Local Legend
Indiana

Hails from United States
This is excellent . Can't wait to see him finished up either! Your steps are easy to follow, and the photos are a terrific visual aid to it all!

Ivy
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Montreal Quebec

Hails from Canada
Amy,
I'm having great fun watching this develop. You have been putting so much thoroughly detailed work into this wip.

I like how you have done the eyes. The ridged circle and glue drop.

Would Magic Sculpt be the same kind of clay as Fimo?
If not, could Fimo be a good substitute for it?

Thanks for putting this together for us.

Melody.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2002, 12:14 AM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Thanks Melody!

No, magic sculpt is not like fimo. They are two very different sculpting compounds. Fimo is a polymer clay that you bake (fire) in a home oven. Magic sculpt requires no firing. It's a two part modeling compound (similar to plumber's epoxy but formulated specifically for sculpting). When you knead the two parts together the compound begins to harden and in a few hours it's rock hard. It is so incredibly sturdy, I've deliberately tried to break it and been unable to. It's excellent for this kind of project because you can sculpt it onto ANYTHING and it will cure. It'll even cure underwater. So I can sculpt directly onto the fabric, or onto wires, or whatever, no firing, no fuss. I wouldn't recommend using fimo or other polymer clays as a substitute for this. They are still very fragile even after firing and are likely to break. Also, you can't sculpt fimo directly onto the dragon, as I will be doing with the feet, because you'd then need to put the whole thing in the oven and I doubt the rest of the body would stand up well to 350 degrees F.

You can use polymer clays in fabric sculpture if you plan ahead a bit. Usually you have to make the body parts you want out of fimo and then build the rest of the sculpture around the finished fimo parts. I've tried working that way and it's okay but ever since I started working with magic sculpt I LOVE it and I'll use it for just about anything, heh.

Check out that link I posted above for the magic sculpt home page. There's more info in there about how to use it than you could possibly want. And tons of great samples of work done with the compound by different artists.

Amy
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2002, 09:50 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Okay I need a couple of opinions.

First, I stuck the spines in the head and neck to check placement. i haven't glued them down yet, though. What do you think of this for placement? My intent is to glue these in and then after painting add a bit of mane surrounding them, so it'll look like the spines are growing out of a tuft of hair.

I also wanted opinions on the wings. I'm still fussing with them and trying to work on a nice furled wing framework. I had devbrain help me by taking a photo while I held the wings up pretty much where they'll be attached, so you could get an idea of how they'll look. What do you think?

Amy
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2002, 10:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Lancaster, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada
I like the placement and the way the wings are shaped. The wing shape right now reminds me of Dragonheart when Draco is walking along beside the knight. For the spines I would almost want to see one in the midle of his forehead though I don't know how that would look with the hair idea.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2002, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Montreal Quebec

Hails from Canada
The wing placement looks perfect.

As for the spines, perfect. At first I thought the third one down should be removed, but with a mane, it does needs to be there.

Sorry Kitaye, I don't agree with one more on the forehead.
With the mane, it is not nesessary. A bit too much.

But that's my opinion.

Hope I didn't step on any toes.

Melody
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2002, 10:52 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southeast Missouri

Hails from United States
You got it going girl!!!

I think everything is okay at this point for the wings, which are awsome, and the spikes (ouch) which are pointy!

Terry

"First star on the right, and straight on 'till morning!"
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2002, 01:56 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Well work is progressing slowly, because of all the drying time involved on various parts of the dragon.

I finished the glue applications for the eyes. It took three applications on each eye to build it up to a decent eye shape. I also glued the neck spines into place, and the glue is currently drying on those. I've begun to build the feet up a little with magic sculp - not much to show for those just yet. And I'm working on adding magic sculp to the wings. I've realized I'm going to hit a stopping point soon because I'm nearly out of my last tub of magic sculp. I ordered a new batch yesterday but I don't know how soon it will arrive. So I am trying to use what little Ihave left just on one wing, so I can move on to the fabric of the wing while I am waiting for my shipment to arrive. This is what I've got so far on the wing.

I'm not going for much detail on the wing muscles because I think if I did it wouldn't match with the rest of the sculpture. So I just want lumps and suggestions of wing muscle shapes. I think what I will do after this stage is glue a layer of fabric to the wing framework (to each individual 'finger' of the wing) and then glue a piece of fabric over the entire framework to serve as the wing membrane.

Last time I did a wing like this, I sewed an entire wing shape from two pieces of fabric then turned it right side out and inserted the wire armature and glued it down that way. It was a royal pain in the neck to do it that way so I am hoping this method I'm working on now will end up looking okay, because I think it will be easier.

Amy
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2002, 11:40 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Made LOTS of progress on one wing tonight, so I'm going to try and explain what I did.

I finished adding magic sculpt to the wing frame, just smoothed some areas out and added thicker parts where the joints would be in the wing bones.

Then I tore wide strips of silk to wrap the wing frame with.

I squirted a line of tacky glue down the center of the strip.

And I laid the strip down on one of the wing 'fingers'.

I pressed the fabric around the wing finger so the glue stuck it down well all around. The silk shifts enough that it would glue down to form around the knuckle areas without folding and causing wrinkles. In some places I needed to add more glue to the other side of the wing finger and keep pressing the fabric down. I pinched the extra fabric together on the back side.

Then I just cut the extra fabric off flush with the wing finger and pressed the edges down flat. The glue held them in place and made a sort of seam. I worked so that these 'seams' would be on the back side of the wing, where they would be covered by the wing membrane fabric, so you wouldn't end up seeing them.

I did this for all the wing fingers and then the wing arm as well. I had to add an extra piece at the wrist area, cut to fit and just glued down to the surface. There is a bit of a seam showing there but with a couple coats of gesso I don't think it will show much.

Okay, let me post the rest of it in another post, this one's getting long.

Amy
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Next I added the wing membrane fabric. I just took a large enough piece of silk to cover the whole wing frame with extra at the sides, and glued it down to the center wing finger on the back (top) side of the wing.

I pressed the fabric down around the wing finger a bit so that it would look like the wing bones were sticking out a bit on the top side of the wing, see here:

Then I folded the fabric back to apply glue to the next wing finger and glued the fabric down to that.

Working this way I glued the fabric down to all of the wing framework, leaving the fabric a little slack between each finger so that it would look like the wing membrane was slack, not pulled taut like when the wing was in use.

Then once the fabric was glued down to the framework completely, I had to cut the extra fabric off. For the outer edges of the framework I just cut the fabric flush to the framework and glued the raw edge down. For the edges that would be the loose edges of the wing membrane, I had to do it a little different. I started by drawing the shape I wanted to cut.

Then I applied glue and smeared it into the fabric on this line, so that the fabric wouldn't fray as I cut it.

Then I cut the fabric close to the glue sticky line and turned the edge over, sticking the fabric to itself in a sort of hem.

And this is what I wound up with!

And here's what it looks like from the back/top.

I'm fairly pleased with the way it turned out. What do you think? It looks about like I'd hoped. Now I just need to make the other wing to match and I'll be all set.

Amy
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2002, 12:00 AM
A Local Legend
Back in The Land of Poopy Diapers

Hails from United States
Wow. It looks great, Amy.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2002, 12:29 AM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada
You donno how much I've been waiting for this moment *g* I have to do a sculpture for one of my portfolio assignments to get into college, and I wanted to make wings out of fabric so this is the best help to me in the world! thankyou!!