WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 12:44 AM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Kitaye, I'll assume you're asking these questions in reference to the needle sculpting. If not, please correct me.

I am using all purpose sewing thread (mercerized poly-cotton) doubled up in most places. As for what kind of stitch, it really depends on the area you're working on. The tighter you want to pull the fabric up, the closer you want the stitches. It's just a running stitch going back and forth through a thick ridge of fabric. I'll draw some diagrams if you need me to.

Amy
Thirdroar - My Portfolio.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 01:09 AM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States
Amy, shamefully I admit to being kicked out of sewing class in the 7th grade because I was not coordinated enough to run a sewing maching. BUT, somehow I ended up dividing my time between fiber art and printmaking. I still don't use a machine, much preferring the feel of fibers running through my hands as I stitch happily along. I also have never used a pattern for any of my work, so your thoughts on paper are appreciated for this wonderful bit of fancy. For someone unable to read a pattern, or a road map for that matter you made this extremely easy to follow. Thank you

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 01:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Lancaster, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by DraigAthar
Kitaye, I'll assume you're asking these questions in reference to the needle sculpting. If not, please correct me.

I am using all purpose sewing thread (mercerized poly-cotton) doubled up in most places. As for what kind of stitch, it really depends on the area you're working on. The tighter you want to pull the fabric up, the closer you want the stitches. It's just a running stitch going back and forth through a thick ridge of fabric. I'll draw some diagrams if you need me to.

Amy

Yep the sculpting. I had assumed you were using a running stitch but I wanted to verify that fact. I wasn't sure about the thread though. In the photo it kinda looked like the clear plastic stuff you can use on the machine. Thanks for clearing that up.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States
Aloha Amy!
I can see that your medium is very labor intensive! WOW! Impressive!
Sorry, I didn't have the patience to read through it all ....but, I certainly have a better idea of what it takes for you to create your adorable sculptures!
Looking forward to the finish!
jana
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 01:04 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Okay, now I have to admit I have no idea what color I ought to paint this guy when it comes time for it. Any suggestions? Maybe I should take a vote, lol.

Amy
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Montreal Quebec

Hails from Canada
Suggestion Amy?

I see it as green with gold details. Maybe a celtic knot design on the head.

Oh lord, my imagination is running amuck.
Quick put a brush in my hand.

I'm looking forward to what you do.

Melody
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 03:30 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Quick post here - I finished needle sculpting the body. Compared to the head, there's not much to it. Just sewing back and forth from one side of the body to the other along the back of the forelegs and the front of the hindlegs, and along the shoulder a bit.

This is where you start to find the faults in your original pattern, heh. It doesn't look bad, on the whole, but I'm a little unhappy about a few parts. The neck is too thin and a bit long, though it won't look so long once the wings are in place. I don't like the shoulder where the neck attaches, it just has a funny shape. I may cover it up with a bit of mane when it comes time for finishing. I don't like the chest, it turned out a bit lumpy looking and I'm afraid to needle sculpt it too much. So we'll just pretend our dragon is a body builder, heh. The hind legs ended up beeing a bit narrow, which I think is a result of there not being enough bulk across the hips, so I'd need to widen the body gusset I think to compensate. I can go back and alter the original pattern to fix these problems, if I ever want to use this particular pattern again.

Amy
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 03:37 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Now things can start to get tedious, because some of the smaller finishing tasks can take a while. To make the eyes, you just use tacky glue. Squirt a blob of tacky glue into the little outline of fabric you made for the eye. Use a pin to push it around so it touches the edges of the fabric ridge. Then prop the dragon up so that the eye is level (so that the glue doesn't drip down or dry thicker on one part of the eye than another) and let it dry. It'll take at least two applications of glue per eye, sometimes three, because the glue shrinks when it dries.

Because it takes several hours for each application of the glue to dry, it's useful to have other things to work on ... like ears and spines and wings!

Amy
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
To make the ears, go back to your pattern and draw an ear shape onto the head. I like large webbed ears on my dragons, though you could make them any style you like, really.

Dig out a scrap of silk leftover from earlier and trace two ears onto it. Pin this to another piece of silk (or just fold it in half if it's big enough) and sew, leaving the part closest to the head open for turning.

Cut ears out with a very small seam allowance (less then 1/4", however close you can cut without the fabric fraying at the seam). Clip curves and turn right side out.

Fold the open ends in a sort of pleat, to bring the end to a point and give the ear some shape. No need to turn the raw edges under, just hand sew the end together firmly.

Set aside to sew to the dragon's head once the eyes are dry!
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
One more post for now.

I thought it'd be nice to have some spines to go down the dragons neck, so I started making some with magic sculpt. This is the compound I'll also use to make the feet. If you've never worked with magic sculpt, check out this thread.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthre...threadid=47553

It's another demo I did in which I rant on about the glories of magic sculpt. Honestly, I don't work for magic sculpt, I just love their product, lol. It's PERFECT for this sort of application, too, because it cures very hard without needing any sort of firing, so you can sculpt directly onto fabric sculptures without any trouble at all. Here's a link to their website.

http://www.magicsculp.com/

Anyway, I clipped some short pieces of wire from my leftover bits of wire laying about (I save everything while in the process of a project - you never know when it might be useful). These are maybe an inch and a half long.

Then I take a little ball of magic sculpt and poke the end of a piece of wire into it. Magic sculpt sticks to everything and anything.

Then I just pinch and form the magic sculpt into a pointy spine shape. I made a few of these and stuck them in a lump of oil clay to dry. I'm not sure how many I'll need or want, so I didn't want to make too many right off.

The magic sculpt takes a couple of hours to cure, itself, so here's more waiting to do. Time to go work on the wings, I guess.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 04:13 PM
N. Texas

Hails from United States
cool!

this is all so amazing and interesting!! really really really

really

cool!
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 10:49 AM
North-Central Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth area))

Hails from United States
This is an excellent tutorial. Thanks for sharing. It's looking good so far.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 11:04 AM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Been watching with great interest. Thanks for all your time and effort here Amy. Excellent
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Thanks everyone for the replies, by the way. I just keep posting more without going back to comment on the replies, heh. I've got more photos to post later, too, been working on this and that ... gotta run errands first tho.

I tell ya, I had no idea this demo was going to be so LONG. I guess when I'm actually making these things, I don't really think about how much work goes into them and how many different parts there are to it!

Amy
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 04:12 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southeast Missouri

Hails from United States
Amy,

This has been the most informative tutorial I have ever seen on soft sculpture! (I have seen 2) LOL! I started to think that maybe even I could do this, but alas I am stricken with a delima. I don't have time!!

Anyway, thanks for the progress pics and the step by step. This is great for those cold evenings when you just want to conjure up a dragon!

Terry

"First star on the right, and straight on 'till morning!"