WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2005, 06:47 PM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: Got any Tips?

Eeh by gum lass, I'm reet sorry!!!!!!
Consider my hand slapped!
Sorry I can't edit the post - but I'll see you are duly re-imbursed in time

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 05:12 AM

hi everyione, Here are 3 tips that may help a bit. 1. use rubbing alcohol to dissolve dried acrylic paint from palettes or brushes. denatured alcohol is toxic and more expensive. if you need stronger alcohol use the 90 percent solution. use a straight pin to loosen the paint up by the ferrule to avoid breaking or cutting any bristles. wash well with soap and water until clear of paint or color. 2. to counteract the drying shift of some colors. wet the section you are trying to match with water and compare your new mixture to the wet area for a closer match. not perfect but it helps. 3. as howard suggests painting on acetate or other clear material, I sometimes paint over the dried acrylic with non staining watercolors to see if I like it. If it is what I want then I wash off the watercolor and repaint with the acrylic. That is all I can think of for now, maybe more later. I can't post any of my work because I don't have the necessary equiipment, camera, scanner, whatever else it may take. hope this helps some of you. Lenbet
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 08:52 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Many thanks for these useful suggestions Len - and I'll be here when you have more

Do any friends have scanners etc? It would be nice to see your work .........
...and I should have said first "A warm welcome to the forum"! We're a friendly bunch!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 09:25 AM

Keep your brushes wet. Some would say this is a bad idea, but it works for me and I've never had anything but good fortune with it. When you are done painting dip your brushes in water (you can leave them dirty) and put them in a plastic bag. Wrap the bag tight around the handles. You can leave them like this for days without having to rewet them. The benefits are that they are always already soft when you go to use them and the paint that might not have gotten out when you went to clean them never gets a chance to dry and ruin your brush. If you are going to leave them wet for more than a week take them out of the bag and rewet them.

Thanks for the penny tip folks. I have to try that.
Email
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

I am not one for liking the stay wet palette so try to I only put out as much paint as I can use in a session. My palettes are those plastic styrofoam disposable plates. I may go through 3 - 4 if I paint all day but that is OK they are cheap. I sometimes keep a plate with dried paint on it for a few days if I want to match a colour. But when finished I just toss them in the bin.

Also plastic wrap is great at keeping the paints wet if I want a break.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 11:45 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thanks BFJ - would you believe I do just that with decorating brushes but never with my art brushes - duh! The brain doesn't always make the connections it should

Thanks Carol - butchers' trays (washed first of course!) are also good.

**My SAA website**
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast
Indianapolis

Hails from United States

If you want a little more open time with the paint, wet the canvas or paper from the back. I use a mister on the back of stretched canvas. Unstretched paper can go right under the faucet, and if it sits in a puddle on my drawing board, even better.

A humidifier built into a central heating system is great for working in acrylics in winter, and it's good for your houseplants, too. We dial in the percentage of humidity we want, and it delivers.

Photographs lie. A lot. Often the shadows are darker and muddier than real life, and the highlights are usually pure white. If you paint them this way, it'll look like you used a photograph. If you're having trouble establishing the progression of colors from highlight to deep shadow, try painting a piece of paper with the local color of the object. Roll it into a tube, tape it, and put it in light similar to the light in your painting. (Outdoors, the same time of day, if you must.) Use that as your guide to mix your paint. This method isn't perfect, but it goes a long way to help learn more accurate shadow color.

Another photo tip: If you're taking your own reference photos, take multiple exposures, some that favor the shadow areas, and others that favor the light areas. Combine them when you get in the studio.

Photo shelves are a great way to store finished or unfinished paintings.

Tami
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 01:24 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

These are excellent Tami - thanks!

Not much call for humidifiers in Britain I'm afraid - I suppose we could always paint in the bathroom in winter though!

Can you explain photo shelves please - I'm not familiar with these (at least I can't think of anything! ......... they're a USA phenemenon perhaps?)

**My SAA website**
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast
Indianapolis

Hails from United States

They're also called photo ledge, picture ledge, or display ledge. It's a narrow shelf with a lip at the front. You lean the painting or photo against the wall, and the lip keeps it from sliding off the shelf. Here's an example.

Tami
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 07:30 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Ah! Now I understand! ... a bit like a plate shelf!
Thanks Tami

**My SAA website**
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

If you work with metal leafing. I have found that if I take cotton wool (cotton balls), about three and place them in the center of a double layer of stocking fabric and then pull up the corners and tie with thread to create a "pounce" ball you can then gently tap the metal leaf in place with a delicate touch. I have made two sizes. One has three cotton balls and one has five cotton balls. Very inexpensive and effective.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2005, 11:49 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Another useful suggestion Howard .......... adding a bamboo would make a good mahl stick too.
Thank you.

**My SAA website**
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2005, 12:41 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Another useful suggestion Howard .......... adding a bamboo would make a good mahl stick too.
Thank you.

I also use garden bamboo stakes for extending a paint brush, charcoal stick or pencil. Amazing what you can do with a stick of bamboo and some tape. On miniature brushes which can be a bit difficult to hold on to, I cut a small piece of bamboo, drill it out and then glue it around a brush handle. Makes for a nice hold-on-to-it piece.

"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast
Indianapolis

Hails from United States

What an attractive solution, Howard! I've had trouble holding a paintbrush lately due to CTS, so I've experimented with various handle pads. Hose or pipe insulation works okay, but it's not as pretty as your bamboo. I imagine for a bigger handle, I could even pad the inside of a larger piece of bamboo with foam, so I could have looks and functionality.

Tami
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2005, 11:54 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

These are plastic three sided flexible add ons. They are great if you have CTS or arthritis. I got about 5 or 6 of them at an office supply several years back for less than a dollar each. Very good for all sorts of things, pencils, pens, brushes, Xacto knives. Really good stuff.

Last edited by idylbrush : 06-26-2005 at 11:58 PM.