WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2004, 09:16 AM
A Local Legend
Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
Thumbs up Re: Dragon Dancing WIP

AWESOME piece of art work!!
Love the movement of her dress!
Look forward to seeing the finished work!

Murray
----------------
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast
Upstate NY

Hails from United States
Re: Dragon Dancing WIP

It's absolutely amazing. I just love the patterns and colors on the dragon's head - you're incredibly talented...

I have heard the languages of the apocalypse, and now I shall embrace the silence.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2004, 11:19 PM
A Local Legend
Iowa

Hails from United States

WOW this is awesome and thank for the step by step
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hails from United States

Thanks for addressing my questions. Isn't it funny how you hear "rules" for art...such as never use hot press for watercolor or cp.. and then you break 'em and everything turns out beautifully.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2004, 12:45 PM

Michelle-
Your art is lovely!!! I've never tried an underpainting in watercolor before. What color are you using for the grey? Lamp black, paynes grey...??? I'd love to try it! Then when the grey is dry, you just do a wash in what ever color you want and it turns the greys into shades of color?

I love hot press illustration board for watercolors. I was afraid the smoothness would be a problem, but not for me!!! I don't really like the tooth of some of the cold press papers I've used. I bought some hot press 300lb arches paper that I'm pretty excited to try...although it does have a tooth.

I say don't be afraid to try something once. I heard that HP illustration board for watercolors probably wouldn't work well, but it turns out I love it!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

dragonflyfantasyart,

Thanks. I use Charcoal grey (I think it's Grumbacher brand). And yes, once it's dry you can glaze over it with a layer of color and it adds shadow and depth to the color. Just do it lightly and don't scrub while anything is wet, and you can put down several layers of color without going muddy. Depending on the colors you use, of course. It's a technique I learned from Suellen Ross's book.

"I bought some hot press 300lb arches paper that I'm pretty excited to try...although it does have a tooth."

I was wondeing about that. It looks like the Hot Press watercolor paper is a lot rougher than the Hot Press illustration board. Which is probably a good thing. More different surfaces to play with!

"I say don't be afraid to try something once. I heard that HP illustration board for watercolors probably wouldn't work well, but it turns out I love it!"

Heh, we're all just a bunch of rebels on this board, aren't we?
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2004, 11:33 PM

Michelle,
Thank you. I appreciate you getting back with me about the underpainting technique.

Yes, the HP paper has more tooth than the HP illo board. It doesn't have that super smooth feel like the board does.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

Whew!

Ok, three more images. Two in this post and one to follow.

1) More colored pencil work. At this point, I realized that I'd forgotten one of the dragon's wings. Big Whoops there! SO I've started to put in it in white colored pencil on the left.

2) Here I've got a lot more colored pencil work done, and I'm starting to put in the background over the black in. Notice how rough it is here? I'll fix that later. I'm also starting to go back in over the colored pencil in some areas with more watercolors to make the colors darker or richer.

Michelle
Attached Images

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

Okay, last WIP pic. It's finished. I'll upload the final once I get it scanned.

Between the last one and this one, I finished the colored pencil and watercolor work, then burnished over the CP colors with with the colorless blender pencil. Then I washed over the background blue pencil with blue watercolors. Somehow this managed to blend the CP nice and smooth. Yay!. Then I grabbed some white gesso (I wanted to use some white gouache, but I was out.) pick out some more highlights and add the sparkles.

You gotta have sparkles!

I've had a great time talking to everyone while I've worked on this. It's been fun. I'm going to try to scan this tonight and post it once I've pieced the scan together.

Thanks,
Michelle
Attached Images

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Sweden

That is absolutely wiked. Awesome work.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Madrid

Hails from Spain

Absolutely gorgeous!
I love all the detail you've put there but my fav part is the way you've pulled that intense blue sky out of the deep black ink AMAZING!

Blog
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

OK, Here's the final, finished piece, scanned in and all.

I'm pretty happy with this one. I had some problems with it. I don't think I payed enough attention to light-sources, though that wasn't the point or focus of this, I felt I cheated a bit. Always make sure your characters have ALL of their body parts before you paint!! And put all of your elements together befor you start to transfer the drawing. (If you'll look closely, the knotwork strip on the right-hand side of the picture wasn't quite straight. I fixed it in Photoshop when I scanned in the final.)

Also, if you paint just after you find out you've got jury duty, the painting may fight you for a while.

Thanks, TereP. I thought it might work, and was SO happy when I tried it and it did. One thing about that part, though: Since I was playing with warm and cool blues - which sounds strange, but that's what I was doing, and I had the stark white of the ribbons and the stark black of the hair, with all that going on I SWEAR the lines were MOVING as I tried to put in the background color. It's really funny the way colors can affect the eyes, and it was something that actually taught me a lot about color.

Michelle
Attached Images

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

This is absolutely beautiful. The folds in the dress are fabulous! What is there to say, this is just an amazing piece of art. Now I want to cry looking at my poor pitiful dragon. How do you do that? So not fair. I'm tellin' my momma on you.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hails from United States

This is one of the coolest pieces I've seen in a while. That narrative quality you mentioned you were working for is very apparent here. I want to see more.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2004, 04:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portsmouth, England

Hails from United Kingdom

This really is fabulous, very well done. The detail is incredible.. Please, please may we see a few detail shots?

Mary

My Ebay
My Artbyus