WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2014, 02:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Texas

Hails from United States
Re: PAL (Paint-a Long): Painting glass and Metal

That is really nice Maureen! You sure are good ellipses! Love the colors too Certainly looks like glass to me.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thanks Cindy ..... they're not really correct, I painted without drawing first, so it's a bit of a corrective procedure all the way through! Good practice though!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Maureen....I really like this one of yours! Love the colors!

Worked on my tiger yesterday, but today I set up some bottles. Not the greatest lighting, but much better than the one I tried the other day...
I forgot I had all these old bottles I took when my parents moved...

ref

11x14 canvasboard

This is a couple or 3 hrs in....with some breaks. The middle bottle is driving me crazy, as I have to paint an optical illusion.... there's a bit of one on the small bottle, but the tall one, LOOKS crooked, and the one side looks dif, but it's not. So hard not to "fix it" rather than paint it. I know the top is off...that does not help. Tried to keep the colors down, but that is not as easy as I thought it would be...as I did not compare them first before trying to use what I thought were right...but I'll get there. I hope....
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 PM
NC

Hails from United States
2nd WIP and my other projects....

Dang! I don't peek in here for 2 days and you guys have been busy B's!!! New paintings, new reference photos and still life set-ups...the paintings look great! I was thinking of doing a still life setup with my own glass floats, yet I thought we had to use a photo from the RIL. Oh well, maybe the next one will be ... depending on when we have to start on the "metals" part I may have time to try a still life.

Then again, I could set up my old bottles with natural color variations due to age and condition. these bottles come complete with "BUBBLES!!!" . These are hand-blown, so the glass is varied in thickness and bubbles are present! That's what I'll do!!! Now, I'm excited!!!!

Ok, first I need to finish my 2nd "floats painting" which is a WIP ... Remember that folks! It - Is - Not - Finished - Yet - ! If you see anything, beside the obvious 'unfinished factor', give a shout out of how to improve. I'm just posting it, so you all know I have been painting and there is still a lot to do, so comments aren't really even necessary -- I KNOW what's wrong with it! It ain't "done" yet.

Btw, bottles turn a light purple from being buried in the ground for a long time... I don't know why, I just know they do.

OOPS! I almost forgot to include the painting. Wouldn't have that been a shame? Freudian slip?

Again, the ref. first:

Now, my 2nd and "unfinished" painting, which will be matted to 4 by 5.5":

Oh, so you don't think I have been twiddling my thumbs over here ... besides making 'tongue depressor' paint swatches as suggested somewhere on WC (thick application, medium application and mixed 50% with white); I finished up today making a reference chart with all my paint colors as far as transparency goes. (I saw that on a youtube video) Here's the chart, and please ignore the pencil marks, I'll be putting on the color names and pigment nos. with proper labels:

My only question is if I should put a second coat of paint on each one. Some of the 'blues' I can't tell if they are transparent or if the color is so close to black....Thank you all!

Oh, I'm also working on trying another painting of Shep, using smooth watercolor paper and thinner applications of paint. Sort of like I'm doing with the floats, so it's good practice!

See, I've been busy too!
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2014, 05:57 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Cathy...you are so brave... I have left the floats "scare" me.

As for color charts...I say I will, but probaly won't... I have learned that the Matisse Australian colors all tend to be more transparent than I'd hoped... but such is life. The way I paint, I don't use as many transparent paints, but always good to have a few around, if you need a wash or glaze.

Am a little tired of details... make my hands hurt. I don't think I will ever paint photo realistically! A little bit of realism goes a long way! But I persevered with this one, even tho' a couple people wondered why I was doing any more to it? Just was not "right yet"...imo. Made the mistake of adding way too much yellow to the bg...and then had to paint it out this am. Still learning about warm and cool colors and when and where to use them. I definitely saw that if the bottles were warm, a warm bg just killed them. When I cooled the bg, I felt like they became the focal point again. I did fix the bottom right elipse...saw how off it was as I got it ready to post.

"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Cathy - won't comment except to say you're doing fine! (as it is a WIP!)
Things to remember - check where you need a sharp change of colour for a clean edge and also where the tones are close and you need clarity of form but subtle changes of colour.

Colour charts - always a good idea
I wouldn't add extra coats as long as you've tried to be consistent with the loading on the brush.
If it doesn't cover solidly, it's a transparent colour, so adding more will give a false reading. OR, it may just also be a dark colour close in tone to the base black strip.

Susan - I'm so proud of you! - this is good - the way you've treated the different coloured bottles and kept their 'old' look ... love the little one! .. the corks are good too and all the little idiosyncrasies! The pale b/g is very complimentary, doesn't detract at all.
Earlier I was a little concerned about the physical space at the bottom of the green and white bottles and whether they'd actually fit there but I looked closely at the ref and I think it was the distortion making it appear too close! The only crit I'd make is to say tone down the highlight on the lady's skirt - but that's extremely minor!
Really good work from life - it makes you LOOK doesn't it?
Very believable glass bottles m'girl!

Well, I painted yesterday, came back to it today to find the leaves had changed overnight - but ne'er mind, it is what it is!

On textured mountboard, about 2.5 hrs. - from a set up of a blue-stemmed glass, blue hydrangeas in the box! I decided to keep the acid yellow paper I had in earlier but you can tell me if it's too much!

My main difficulty with acrylics is trying to get them THICK and luscious on the board/paper/canvas. I have tendency to paint the paint out too much and can't seem to make myself just lay it on ...... probably a result of too much work with inks and watercolours and too long away from oils

The set-up first ...

The painting, approx 11"x15" -

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2014, 09:43 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Maureen...thanks!!! I can fix that spot, for sure! I really love yours! All those dif shades end up working together and not against each other!

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM

canvas 16 x 20 - black primed
Layout, ~20 min

blocking, ~20 min
left layout lines visible

Note - Most starburst touchpoints are vertical
Rays curve around the glass
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM

Here's a ptg that I did some time ago. Lots of ellipses and distortions.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:05 PM

4 h after the last entry.
Estimated time to finish - ~8 -10 h from here.

Working on middle facets, rt to left.
[Why?
Two reasons...
Because I;m left-handed and so work rt to left.
Where my easel is positioned on my garage workbench, I cannot easily reach the top portion of the ptg.
(It's under the fluorescent light.)
I will do this part of the ptg upside down (the ptg, not me)].

Oh, the marks on the left?
Indications of where the bottoms of the ellipses are.
The centers are vertical from the center of the starburst in the middle of the ptg.
(The white line is NOT the center but a reflection from the starburst.)
See the earlier sketch.

The palette? Burnt sienna, yellow ochre, napth red, cad yello med, tit wihite, payne's, cobalt blue (so far)

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:42 PM

Hails from United States

I just came onto this tonight. Have a basic question....How do you make your bottles (such as wine bottles, perfume bottles, etc) actually look like they have equal sides? For the life of me, I cannot draw a decent wine bottle!! unless I traced it... Any suggestions?
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2014, 12:03 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

old_hobbyist...wow, this is gonna be great!! Love the purples in the one you did of two glasses!!

Pam....Maureen had a tip at the beginning:" TIP – if you are making a very basic, symmetrical shape, draw a central vertical, draw one side of the shape, trace it, reverse it and fit the shape down the vertical to complete the shape.
OR, make a template of the first side by cutting from scrap paper, reverse it, draw round it to complete the whole shape ……… and that’s all you need to start. "

I have traced, tho' I'm trying to learn to draw stuff... not always successful...as you could see if you follow all the ellipse mistakes I made
I you look at old_hobbyist's glass....he gridded it, which I do sometimes as well, but on the pc

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 AM

Glad to see everybody jumping into this PAL.
Everyone remember to paint WHAT YOU SEE, not what you think you see.
Don't hurry your ptg.
Understanding glass transparency and reflection takes time.
Maureen, another winner exercise.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2014, 12:55 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Jim - thanks for showing the progression of the glass and adding your explanations - so helpful
I really do get a lot of pleasure seeing the way you apply the paint and mix the colours - so thanks again for that!
The two wineglasses are a really good example of the ellipses and distortions - glad you posted it

Pam - do join us, it's usually enjoyable - and I don't SHOUT!!!!!

Apart from the tip I gave earlier, you can also actually measure from a central line, if that would be easier.
Draw a centre line, mark the levels where you want opening, neck, 'shoulders' and base. Measure equal widths along a horizontal line (much like Jim's example) and then 'join the dots' - even use a ruler for the straight lines.
Where something needs curves - again, either measure and draw a number of reference lines cross or do one side, trace, reverse, and draw over your lines.

I don't think practice studies are ever a waste of time (well, if you don't learn anything then maybe they are!) but practice is learning to do something you need to learn, not something you already know.

......and again, as Jim says - paint what you see not what you think you know!

**My SAA website**
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Susan..You did really well with those old bottles! I recognize old Mrs. Butterworth

Cathy...Keep it up girl. We are all learning with this.

Maureen...Love the Hydrangeas! Beautifully done, of course.

Jim...Thanks for showing how you approached the whiskey glass. The two glass painting with the purple is lovely.

Well, I did my first time ever set up. Not a very good one I might add. The ref. pic is a little different angle than what I painted but you get the idea. I didn't get the colors/shapes just right but I did learn from it. I also had a heck of a time getting the shot right. Accidentally cut off the right side but still the best shot after 5 tries Ref...Attachment 815034Attachment 815035
Attached Images