WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
North Carolina(but still a Marylander)

Hails from United States
Re: P.A.L. (Paint-a-Long), April ..... Landscape

I am enjoying watching everyone's progress and am learning something along the way too. Maybe I'll be brave enough in the future to join in.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Texas

Hails from United States

Maureen.......Yours is so cheerful and well laid out. You asked about my greens--my palette consists of Hookers Green, Thalo Yellow Green, U. Blue, Thalo Blue, Cad. Yellow Med., Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre, white. I mix them willy-nilly until I find something pleasing to me.

Colin......Yours is so nice and bright. I like the bold brush strokes.

Dominic..Your tonal sketch looks great. Looking forward to seeing the color version.

Susan....Looking really nice. I like that triangle you developed and your colors look good to me.

Tinalewis...I like that crop. I hope the paper behaves itself so we can see a nice finish.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:11 PM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Everyone is off to a good start.

Susan, those hills look great! I'm sure the rest will follow.

I got as far as setting up my little canvas. It's 2 1/2 inches. I'll probably start on it tomorrow.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

I think I'm gonna call mine finished unless ya'll can tell me what I need to fix. Sorry for the crummy photo.Attachment 796267
Attached Images

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:57 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Thanks, Bhavani, Cindy, and Michelle!

Come on in, golfgal! We don't bite!!

Michelle...wow, that is tiny!! I have to do a number of those for a show later this summer...and it scares me after painting so large for awhile!

Cindy, I still really like yours!! and I am so proud of you for doing it all with knives!! As for the photo...well...I have lots of trouble with them, lately...I am blaming it on the weather...

Ok...just want to warn you, that mine is straying from the ref ...I tried, I really did... but after scraping off the bottom, and re-doing it way too many times, I decided to just let my brush and creativity take me away! (no calgon here...haha) If you don't want me to continue to post, I will understand...

I could not get anything to work with a knife, so for the foreground I switched to a brush. I was not successful with the actual plants and trees pictured either... so I just kind of had at it. I decided it looked as tho' you were kind of falling off the edge, so I borrowed some of the pine boughs from Colin's larger photo...to kind of keep you inside...

Here are a couple of the tries...

and where I am at now...I think a bit more strengthening of the darks? as it's not really as dark in places as the photo says... and the sky is actually only one shade of blue...

For anyone who is interested, the greens in the foreground (if you don't count all the failed layers underneath ) on the ground a mixture of olive green, white, skin tone, lt. red oxide, and lt. naples yellow...just kind of mixed and smeared on the canvas. The trees and bushes (except for the right side and the front dark cyprus-type, where I just went over what was there) are a mix of pthalo blue, cad red, and cad yellow for the base shadow color, and then just a gradual lightening from a base of pthalo blue and yellow...adding more yellow and some white to keep going lighter, but stay warm, since it was the foreground.
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Susan....I really like what you did here. Your water looks like water and the pine boughs really did the trick. I felt like mine needed an eye stopper too. You've really created a nice setting!

As for mine, I did sneak a fingertip in here and there when I couldn't get the knife to cooperate. My finger is my favorite blending tool anyway. After seeing yours, I believe I'm not finished after all.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2013, 03:33 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Well...I NEVER count fingers......or toothpicks and cotton swabs, and rags...I just use them when I need to! Just don't overwork it, Cindy...it is so nice!! I wanted to be able to do the knives, I just was too fumble-fingered or something...plus was using all the wrong mixes of greens at that stage...
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2013, 02:04 AM

Cindy - I don't think your painting needs more work. It looks really lovely. Good job with the knife. I like the way you handled the foliage and rocks . The distant hills are good too.

Susan - Great Finish. Love it! The distant hills and bank are still my favorite parts. Your struggle with foreground foliage has paid off. It looks great I like your first version as well. The rocks look good in that one
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 PM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Very nice Cindy! The colours are really fresh and you did well with a knife.

Looks great Susan! Who needs Calgon with they have brush!

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Susan and Cindy I echo Bhavani's compliments about your paintings.

Cindy yours looks very fresh and nice sense of distance to the hills in the background. I like your 'lone tree' too.

Susan, I also have to remark on the outstanding quality you achieved with the hills on the far side of the lake. Wow. Stunning colour and texture. I even liked the greyed out earlier versions a lot too. The Okanagan Valley is quite dry, being in the rainshadow, and you caught a sense of a dry-but-not-desert landscape beautifully.

Good start Tina, looking forward to the next step. I hope the paper holds up for you.

I did a bit of work on mine last night, but not enough progress yet to post an update.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Bhavani and Michelle....thank you!

Colin...hmmm...dry huh? Then I guess today's version may NOT read as true...

Somehow, I looked all night at it, and could not figure out what was 'missing'...for my own artistic vision, I suppose. I kept feeling that it needed something? There was all this green in the foreground...just greens...and for me, I decided it needed color. Maybe because of what happened yesterday...who knows? I see color as hope, joy, peace, love...I see blandness as negative, hopelessness, despair...maybe because after some of the losses in my life, the world appeared drab? One of the first things I noticed, as I 'came back to life' was color...some subtle...some bright...but color. I 'worry' now that it is too busy, and maybe too much color (tho' I actually scrubbed some off...)

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Wow, Susan! Standing ovation for that!!

Dom, that's a good value painting. Smart!
Tina, That is looking good too, I'm painting over something too.
Michelle, you're a girl after my own heart painting that small.
Cem, ooo that looks like a Monet, has that beautiful impressionistic feel.

I finally started, trying only the knives. The only thing I wish I had done was not wear the t-shirt I just bought, I am making a mess and a half!
I've had this canvas for a long time, I dont' remember why it's pink but figured what the heck. Those are the knives I'm using, I must say, I like the cheap plastic ones better. This is kind of like icing a cake.
So I'm going to go make a cake (spice with cinnamon butter frosting) and let this dry and think a little.

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Oops.... did forgot to mention that, Virginia?...knife painting for me is VERY messy...my table, chair, floor, shirt and pants are wearing almost as much paint as the canvas...

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 AM

Hails from Canada

Susan -- I love your far hills. They are perfect. Yes they read "dry" to me, but that is perfect for the Okanagan Valley. Texture, colour, tone everything. Looks very natural to me. You nailed those hills completely.

Virginia - looks fun and messy. Those are some great textures and colours you have going on.

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:38 AM

Hails from Canada

OK here's my latest. I am channeling Cézanne, I think. So much for all the value stuff I learned on the weekend. Definitely doesn't look 'realistic'. Oh well. C'est Cézanne. (At least there's nothing resembling Chernobyl in this one)

I am very unhappy with the grey-blue sagebrush slope so that's going to go. Maybe I should take a knife to it and just cut it out of the painting altogether.
And I have 3 small trees lined up like the 3 stooges by the water's edge, so I have to work on them. But I am kind of intrigued with how the rest of it is going.