WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Alternative Materials, and Other Media
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 AM

Hails from Ireland
Mixed Media over oil paint?

I'm doing a mixed media piece and have painted in oil over some modelling paste .

I would like to add some more paste over some of the oil paint (which has been drying for the last week, touch dry).

I know that one shouldn't paint acrylic over oil but if I want to add some paste - do you think I could? Perhaps if I mix it with some oil based glue (as opposed to water based glue) What do you think?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
Re: Mixed Media over oil paint?

This is just my thought, not experience...I'd avoid trying to add anything "lean" over anything "fat". If you can get the paste to mix and combine with oil-based glue, you could certainly give it a try. The problem is that the problems don't always show up right away
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 AM

Hails from Ireland

Thanks for the reply Cyndi. I think I'll give it a go anyway - I'll be hanging on to this piece for sure and I can watch and wait!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I don't think this will work any better than mixing oil with water. It's essentially the same thing.

Also, oil oxidizes and hardens, it doesn't dry, and it can feel 'dry' to the touch but is still not hard throughout. Depending on how thick the application is and what pigments you used, it may not be entirely cured yet.

'Fat over lean' is the rule. Perhaps there is a medium or sealer that will allow the type of application you're wanting to do, but I don't know what it would be.

You might call Gamblin. They are to oils and alkyds what Golden is to acrylic, and they might know of or have something. There are impasto pastes that can be used with oils (like thick gel mediums for acrylics can be mixed with acrylic paint) but I don't know if they can be used alone for a modeling paste effect, or if they could be applied over oil paint.

I think Windsor Newton makes a gel paste for oils, but I don't know if it would do what you're trying to do.

But I don't think an acrylic paste over oils will work over time and there will at some point be a failure between your layers.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Hails from Ireland

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. It certainly makes sense, I think I might try emailing Gamblin and see what they say but I may just put this down to experience.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyS
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. It certainly makes sense, I think I might try emailing Gamblin and see what they say but I may just put this down to experience.

Have done that many times myself. Mixed Media inspires experimentation. I've had some substrate adventures for sure.

I always view them as future reference experiences.

Take a pic and let us see your piece!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 08:10 AM

Hails from Ireland

I added some stucco paste mixed with vinyl glue after sanding down the work I'd done previously I actually found I liked the effect of the sanding and so I've painted over that and now waiting for the undercoat to dry! When this is done I'm going to add a few more layers especially to the old wall and will sand when dry to hopefully give a crumbling effect. When all this is done (phew!) I am hoping to varnish it (eventually) with a heavy varnish to seal the whole lot - polyurethane I'm thinking unless anyone shouts STOP! I'll then hang it up and watch it for the next few years!!

Attached is the WIP (I hope!)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Since I don't know, I won't shout stop, but I will say that it is very beautiful!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:38 PM

Hails from Ireland

Thank you Cyndi - I'm really enjoying it and I'll post the finished piece eventually.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 PM
South Bucks

Hails from United Kingdom

In the UK (and presumably Ireland) domestic acrylic paint is called 'vinyl' - so that is acrylic over ~whatever~
Since you sanded down first, you may get away with it

I agree with Cyndi - looks lovely

Last edited by Edradour : 02-20-2012 at 02:20 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2012, 04:27 AM

Hails from Ireland

Thank you Edradour. That's good to know Vinyl=Acrylic based. So having sanded it first, I may get away with it as you say. I've decided to keep this piece in any event and so I'll keep my eyes peeled for the peeling paint!! I wonder would the polyurethane varnish seal it enough? Again, I'll experiment with that too. Many thanks for your interest.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast
ontario,canada

Hails from Canada

nice.