Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Lea WIP: A lady of many layers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Libby_Cowgill

I thought I would post a thread on my portrait painting process. I’ve been lurking around here for a while, and I’m hoping to get both encouragement and constructive criticism from you guys. I’d describe my process as rather anal-retentive and time consuming—I like indirect painting, realism, with luminous colors and almost no visible brush strokes. Here is an example of my previous work.

This is Lea, oil on 18 by 24 gesso board. Below is the reference photo I took of her. I don’t really believe in copying a photo directly so lots will be different in the actual painting.

"A portrait is a painting with something wrong with the mouth." -John Singer Sargent

Libby_Cowgill

I like a really smooth, detailed monochromatic underpainting to glaze over, so what I consider the underpainting is actually multiple layers of underpainting. I’m still experimenting with what color underpainting I like best for skin. This one is warm grey from black mixed with yellow ochre. The arm is only in the first layer of underpainting and the face is three (and done).

"A portrait is a painting with something wrong with the mouth." -John Singer Sargent

Tony11214

The face looks very much like her!

Tony11214

In the past some painters used Terra Verde for the underpainting of skin.

Amian3d
                        Libby_Cowgill

Tony: I find it a little hard to paint over a pure green underpainting, so I think I will add green in for the first glaze.

Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement, guys!

Libby_Cowgill

3: Underpainting is basically done, other than a few spots of the shawl that need a little touching up. Hair is Raw Umber and Titanium white (and I’ve basically just blocked in tones that I will paint over more directly than the rest of the portrait). Shawl is Ivory Black and Titanium White (it will be blue in the final painting). For my own amusement, I’m keeping track of how many layers I’ve applied. This is 3-4, at this point. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Humbaba

I have been taught, and I apply it every time I have the chance to paint, that it is advisable to use quick drying oil paint when creating a Grisaille. Umbers, Prussian Blue, Burnt Sienna, mixed with white are all suitable for this task, by intermixing Umbers with Prussian blue, you can create an ample range of warm or cool grays.

In addition of giving the benefit of drying fast, you can avoid having cracks in the future once the paint is completed with colors.

Libby_Cowgill

Humbaba: Thanks for your thoughts. I’m pretty much self taught and have learned what I know from here and youtube. That said, all these layers dried quite quickly because the only medium I use is Liquin, which I use consistently all the way through the painting. I paint a layer cut with Liquin and then wait till it’s bone dry (24-48 hours) and then do another. I’m hoping the added flexibility of Liquin will prevent cracking. It’s hard to tell how “archival” this is and what it will look like in 100 years, but the previous piece I did in this manner has not cracked.

Libby_Cowgill

Painting with so many indirect fine layers really is time consuming, but I like it. One layer of glaze on the scarf (phthalo green sure is a lot of bang for your buck when glazing) and about six on the face (two layers of terre verte followed by four of skin color). The hair hasn’t been touched at all and is still the underpainting. It’s coming along and I’m pleased. Any pointers is always appreciated.

Humburger

It is beautiful.

Ginny
                                                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                                C & C Welcome

Libby_Cowgill

Thanks so much, Humburger. It’s my second painting so I feel like there is a very steep learning curve going on. :)

Libby_Cowgill

Face done. Onto hair and tattoo, unless anyone around here has comments.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.