Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics protective finish for my multi-media pieces

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi all –

I am new to this forum, and recently back in to painting, creating.
    My mixed media pieces are large – 4 x 4′ at least and are dominantly acrylic with oil pastel accents and details on top. usually on canvas, these are heavily textured which causes finishing the work to be a little tedious. What is the best polyurethane finish considering rough texture and oil pastel being involved?? suggestions welcome.
    Matte finish is my complete preference. thanks,

Welcome to the forum, Back in the studio. As your work is mainly acrylic, I would rather ask this question in the acrylic forum.

Christel

bongo

Welcome to the forum, Back in the studio. As your work is mainly acrylic, I would rather ask this question in the acrylic forum.

ummm.. but this IS the acrylic forum.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
        STUDIOBONGO

contumacious

Hi all –

I am new to this forum, and recently back in to painting, creating.
            My mixed media pieces are large – 4 x 4′ at least and are dominantly acrylic with oil pastel accents and details on top. usually on canvas, these are heavily textured which causes finishing the work to be a little tedious. What is the best polyurethane finish considering rough texture and oil pastel being involved?? suggestions welcome.
            Matte finish is my complete preference. thanks,

Since oil pastels really never dry / harden, whatever you put on there could possibly cause them to dissolve to some extent. Be sure you test it well before using it in a finished piece. Most likely you will need to spray it on in very light multiple layers.

If it were my work, I would probably go with a matte acrylic permanent varnish or medium, made for artists rather than a hardware store urethane finish, unless it is going to be displayed outdoors. Alternately, if you find a gloss finish that works well for sealing it, you could put a removable matte varnish as your final protective layer.

Ellis Ammons

If it was me I would perform a test with workable fixative over a sample of the same media and use acrylic varnish over that. If I liked the results I would then use it on my painting.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                oil and acrylic paintings..

ddattler

Personally, as a Picture Framer, the only safe way I can think of to protect that type of mixed media, without risk of damage, is to frame it under glass with a spacer between the painting and glass, even at that size.

http://wildlifearts.com
                    Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know. ~ Rembrandt

In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict,

fedetony

polyurethane will not adhere properly to oil/fatty surfaces, Is best to leave it without final coat, as you would with the oil pastels

Federico Garcia
                        My Blog
                        C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Eraethil

I have only used it on acrylic paintings so far, but since it was originally formulated for oil paints, you could use GamVar over the whole piece.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                            Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Eraethil

This question might actually be better suited to the mixed media forum.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                                Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.