Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Outside the Lines Chat Thread ~ March 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    ocmd123

I’m getting in just under the wire, but it’s still March first here on the east coast. :thumbsup: (Remember, anyone can start this!!!)
        While the temperatures are improving, the sky remains just as gray as it’s been for January and February. I really, really need sunshine! Sigh….. Patience, right? We’ve got a huge nor’easter with 60 mph winds blowing in here tomorrow. I hope all of my trees stay upright. Or at least that they don’t hit the house if they should not remain upright. I am so looking forward to start playing in the garden……

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
        Instagram

Save

Cold with snow and power-cuts, here. One of the dogs likes the white stuff, the other doesn’t. I don’t like coping with the ice. I have to get out soon for Walkies. 🐾🐾❄️❄️❄️

Penny
        I live in Wiltshire, England
        “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Winnieike2

Good morning! It’s a beautiful day here in the Midwest. I’m excited to get out and see some sights and sounds of nature as winter’s thaw slowly begins. Still plenty of cold weather to come, but spring is right around the corner. I wish everyone a wonderful, safe weekend! :)

frida

Not bad here today, above 0 C, and the sun playing hide and seek…

I am wondering about our UK members, like Penny, Claudia, and many others. The newspaper today mentions horrible weather!!! :grouphug:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Thanks for thinking of us, Frida. We don’t get much snow in the south-west, usually, so it comes as a shock to have to deal with it. At present, it’s powdery and can be walked through without slipping, but we’ve just had a weather warning from the Met Office for ice, so it could be bad tomorrow. I know Kay – Tridunua – has had much more severe weather where she is in Edinburgh. The north and east of the country get it worse than here.

To cap it all, we had a power-cut last night – meaning no light or heating. Fortunately it was only for an hour or so.

I live fairly close to shops and can walk for supplies, but with deliveries by road being hit hard there could be shortages. Hopefully it won’t last much longer. We are just not prepared for extremes of weather – no snow-ploughs, etc., and cars aren’t fitted with snow tyres.

Taking the dogs out, trudging through the snow, uses a lot of my energy.

Penny
                “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

frida

I really feel your difficulties Penny! :( Some 2 or 3 years ago we had an Ice Storm (only one in my 50 years in Canada), and it was hard… We had to leave home, as we didn’t have electricity, and the temperature went so low that I lost many of my indoor plants. We were lucky that one of our daughters could accommodate all of us.

Let’s hope that your tribulations are short lived!!! :heart:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Thanks, Frida. The ice storm doesn’t sound nice! Let’s hope you don’t get any more of those. It’s due to thaw on Tuesday in this part of the country, with heavy rain and flooding, no doubt! The more badly affected areas are expected to suffer for the coming week! Hey-ho, such is life! At least we’ve not had it cold all winter. February and March can be chilly. I’m wrapped up in bed watching a Sherlock Holmes film from 1939!

Penny

frida

Some of the photos I took through the window before we found refuge somewhere else…

I wouldn’t like to go through anything like that again, as beautiful as it was to watch from a warm place!!!

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

It is beautiful to look at, but not easy to live through!

Penny

Pingpongfan

I remember that ice storm, Raquel. Lots of trees down and branches broken. You can still see some of that devastation in winter. In the summer the leaves cover it up. Our neighbour has a big maple with branches hanging over our house. We were so worried they would break and land on our roof. Luckily they held, but we did have the tree severely pruned back the following summer. Hate the winter!! Lovely sunshine today but snow on the ground. Not too long now til spring. I can see some little bits of greenery starting to appear.
                            Vena

frida

I really hated those trees that were the most damaged and caused most damage to cars and electrical wires. You are right Vena! During the winter they have a ghoulish look, and then the greenery kind of covers them.

They are not even native to Canada, but were “legit” in the 50s, and home owners liked them because they grew fast, with bad tree qualities because of that! And now we are stuck with Siberian Elms… They are impossible to eradicate!

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Winnieike2

There was a terrible ice storm in the area where my parents lived about 10 years ago. My mother had recently passed away so my husband and I had driven down for the funeral. All looked fine until we got closer to my parent’s home. The surrounding mountains looked they’d been hit by a tornado. There were few trees with all their branches; most had been lost from bearing the weight of thick ice as it cling to them. The noise was incredible… As the ice began to crack it sounded like gunfire that rang throughout the “hollar”. Schools closed…it took months before some had electricity which lead to more problems. As meat in freezers began to thaw, the local retirement complex accepted and cooked it so those with no means to prepare food for themselves could have a place to eat. I feel bad for anybody who has to go through any natural disaster, be it tornado, flooding, hurricane, or ice!

KaySilver

Hi all – how is everyone this Monday morning?

Wow Raquel, those icy photos are beautiful. I’ve heard about ice storms but we don’t get them here – just regular snow blizzards. (And even that’s pretty unusual in southern England).

It has been unusually cold here, but we are on the south coast so we escaped the worst of the snow and ice. It was much worse in other areas of the UK. We are back to grey sky and rain now (as usual!) so I’m hoping Spring will be on the way soon.

Wishing you all a great week. :)

👋Claudia. Same here, wet and breezy but no snow. I’ve walked the dog, visited an old friend to do some shopping on-line for him, he forgets how to use the computer! I think I have post-viral syndrome and need to rest to have energy to go out again this afternoon.

Penny

ocmd123

We got hammered with wind during the weekend noreaster. We were without power for two days. This last one was a complete bust, which was fine with me. We were supposed to get six or more inches of snow, but it scooted east and we got just a bit on the grassy areas. Now, I’m quite ready for spring. :)

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                            Instagram

Save

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.