Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Making Fumed Silica Gel Medium

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    contumacious

Curious to hear what any of you have personally experienced with making your own fumed silica gel medium such as how various oils behave, ratios of oil to the solid and where you bought your fumed silica. $15 a gallon shipped is the best price I have found so far.

From Tad Spurgeon’s site:

[INDENT] Fumed Silica Gel: A great alternative to the conservasionally challenged mastic gel mediums. A simple mixture of the oil of your choice and fumed silica forms a gel of the consistency of your choice. Can be used for expressive alla prima work or thinly over a developed underpainting. Fumed silica should be handled carefully wearing a respirator. Once in the oil, it is not a problem. The gel can be made in quantity and tubed or kept airtight in aluminum foil. Surprisingly versatile, but not the fastest drier. Should be made with pre-heated or otherwise pre-stabilized oil.[/INDENT]

Nomad Z

I haven’t used it with oil, but I have with silicone rubber. In that context, I found that it was a very effective thickener. Without the silica, the mixed liquid rubber was less viscous than thickened linseed oil, and more than refined linseed. In other words, pourable but not watery, and would readily level in a test mould. Adding 50% by volume (ie, 1/3rd of the total volume) of fumed silica changed the consistency to something that was barely pourable – thicker than stand oil.

The stuff I used was West System Colloidal Silica 406 (same CAS number as fumed silica)…

http://www.westsystem.com/406-colloidal-silica/

The video on that page doesn’t give ratios, but my silicone rubber mix was somewhere between the third and fourth mixes shown. I was using it to try and make the silicone stiffer, but I found that it stayed more flexible than I was hoping for. Even so, pouring was difficult. In the little test mould, the mixture didn’t level out – the top surface remained a bit lumpy – and there were air bubbles inside when I cut it. Open time was probably 20 minutes, and there was no sign of any trapped air migrating to the surface, so it was pretty stiff.

Whether or not it would behave in a similar way with oil, I can’t say, and I think it would depend on the viscosity of the oil to begin with. What oil are you planning to use? If I get the time, it would be interesting to try an experiment or two.

I have to say, though, that if the ratio is anything like what I tried with the silicone rubber, a gallon of fumed silica is a vast amount. Even at a 50/50 mix, a US gallon is enough for about 100 75ml tubes, assuming it doubles the volume. Even if it has no effect on the volume of the oil, it’s still 50 tubes.

Gigalot

Fumed silica and Colloidal silica are different things.

Nomad Z

Datasheet…

http://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/406-SDS.pdf

CAS: 112945-52-5
                    “Synthetic amorphous pyrogenic silica”

Second datasheet found by searching their site…

http://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/406-Filler-EN-OSHA-WHMIS.pdf

CAS: 112945-52-5
                    “Silica, amorphous, fumed, crystalline-free”

What is it?

harryj

I use Fumed Silica a lot, it’s great stuff and really easy to make, You don’t need to mull it either, just mix with a palette knife and tube it and you’re good. It was used by Langridge as a stabilizer in the past and there is no oil separation in the tube etc. You can also use it to shorten paints that are long if you make your own. I’m using it to reduce the strength of PW6 along with Calcium Carbonate, it works really well. It’s also a very good way to extend your paints, it’s virtually transparent and when added to paint you can see a distinct shift in color that I like. Look for a Gallon of it on Amazon, trade name Cab-o-Sil, it’s much cheaper than what naturalpigments is selling.

Note, there’s information out there that says it has a high oil content so it can’t be used for certain things. This is because it has an incredibly low density which makes it look like it contains a lot of oil ie by weight it’s ~140gms of oil to 100gms of fumed silica but the Critical Pigment Volume Concentration (CPVC) of Fumed Silica in linseed is ~94% which means that that oil content is very low, in fact it’s lower than any pigment you’re likely to have.

harryj

There’s a lot of confusion over here (US) about what Colloidal silica is. It’s meant to mean Fumed Silica that has been premixed with something but most times I’ve seen it used it was just for Fumed Silica, the way to tell is the weight of the product. If it’s incredibly light it’s Fumed silica on it’s own, if it’s heavy it’s been mixed with something.

contumacious

Some good info folks. Thanks!

I am anxious to try mixing up my own medium with this stuff.

AnnieA

Art Treehouse offers a gel made with water-washed walnut oil and silica. I think it’s fumed silica but can’t say for certain. It might be a good idea to buy the small tube of that product as a way of trying it out before you invest in a lot of raw materials to make your own – it’s only $4.95. They also offer water-washed walnut and water-washed linseed oil at pretty good prices, as well as quite a number of other oils and mediums. And they have amazing prices for spike lavender oil. Note that the prices are very low but they have a $9.95 flat shipping charge, so be forewarned. They offer oil paints too.

Also, I think fumed silica is considered a major inhalation irritant, so be careful if you experiment with it. Wear a mask!

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                    [FONT=Palatino]
                                    “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Gigalot

Also, I think fumed silica is considered a major inhalation irritant, so be careful if you experiment with it. Wear a mask!

Fumed silica is not a powder, it looks like a large “popcorn” looking agglomerate product in which micro-particles of silica forms ultra light weight giant agglomerates. It can’t give any dust and therefore safe to use. It can’t form dust. I used a lot of this product in chemical laboratory and never needed to use any dust mask. But Glass particles or dispersed quartzite can be an issue. When you are working with milled silica, then dust mask is necessary.

AnnieA

Most of the info I’ve seen on fumed silica, such as this[/URL], that says while it’s not carcinogenic or otherwise toxic, there is a health hazard, as inhalation can lead to lung irritation.

The widespread use of fumed silica means it is important to be sure it is used safely. The fine powder can easily become airborne, and, beyond a certain exposure limit, can be an inhalation hazard to workers.

Contumacious, if you take a look at the link, you’ll see that another name for fumed silica is diatomacious earth. That’s a product that’s often used as a natural household flea control, and I think I’ve seen it at gardening centers as well. If that’s accurate, you may be able find it under that name at a less expensive price.

That it’s commonly sold for household uses does seem to suggest that any health hazard must be very minor. Maybe it’s the kind of exposure that workers who produce fumed silica might encounter that’s being referenced in the warnings.

I was surprised to see that there’s another product called “silica fume,” which is very different and used in the production of concrete. Since according to Spurgeon, fumed silica can be used to produce oil painting putty, yet the product Alex describes doesn’t sound like it could produce an effective medium, I wonder if maybe we’ve got our terms mixed up someplace.

Also, I haven’t read enough to evaluate the material, but it looks like the person at this blog [/URL]has done some putty and fumed silica experimenting.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                            [FONT=Palatino]
                                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Nomad Z

Just tried a little experiment with the West System 406 and some refined linseed oil (W&N, about 15 years old). It made a gel easily. At first, I tried 2.5ml of the silica in a little pile with a dimple in the middle, poured in 2.5ml of oil, and mixed with a knife. The result was very stiff and looked a bit grainy. I then added a little more oil – no more than 1ml (poured from the refilled 2.5ml measuring spoon), and mixed some more.

This resulted in a gel that felt pretty similar to artist grade oil paint…

[ATTACH]848750[/ATTACH]

I then squeezed out a little W&N French Ultramarine, and then took some of the gel and little bit of the paint…

[ATTACH]848751[/ATTACH]

The blade on the painting knife to the left is about 32mm long.

And mixed them together…

[ATTACH]848752[/ATTACH]

It felt a little stiffer than the ultramarine paint on its own, but only slightly, and it seemed to feel smooth and buttery under the knife when I spread it out. It certainly holds its shape in the main lump – I don’t get the impression that it would settle or level.

About the only reservation I have is that the West System 406 particles seem to be quite large, and either vary in size or tend to clump a little in the mix. A few larger bits can be seen in this closer view, especially to the top right…

[ATTACH]848753[/ATTACH]

Looking at the smear through a loupe, it does seem to have a slightly textured or reticulated look to it – particularly evident in the violet-leaning area in the middle. The area shown in the close-up photo is about 32mm wide.

The West System 406 does seem to clump a bit in the tub – scooping some out results in a combination of powdery stuff that seems to be loose particles, and small clumps a few millimetres wide that easily break up. I didn’t make any attempt to reduce it all to a powdery consistency, and the mixing time with the knife was just a few seconds. Perhaps putting the silica through a sieve would help, or maybe spending more time mixing it with the oil. Maybe mulling is what’s needed. (I have no idea how this compares to commercial versions.)

With regard to volume, adding the silica didn’t seem to make a noticeable difference. I didn’t measure the volume of gel before I starting playing with it, but looking at the two piles I ended up with (one clear, one blue), I’d say they’d manage to fill the 2.5ml spoon and no more.

Judging the stiffness with a such small quantity would be quite tricky by measuring out volumes of the components. To get a reliable recipe, it would have to be made in a larger quantity and the volumes carefully noted – the tiny bit of extra oil I poured out made a big difference. With the West System 406, the proportion by volume was about 55-60% oil to 45-40% silica.

In terms of extending the paint, it seemed very effective – the little bit of blue was probably about 15% of the volume of the bit of gel. When spread out, the result was a bit lighter than the raw paint, suggesting increased transparency. (The palette is white melamine, incidentally.)

contumacious

NomadZ – Thanks for posting your test results. Thanks everyone else for your input too.

AnnieA – Diatomaceous earth is not fumed silica, though it may behave similarly. It is a naturally occurring substance consisting of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

From what I am seeing Fumed Silica can be found in many different consistencies from larger particles to extremely fine powders.

https://www.aerosil.com/product/aerosil/en/products/hydrophilic-fumed-silica/pages/default.aspx

The type made for fiberglass work, which is what I will be buying, is a fine powder similar to what you will see in this video showing how light and fluffy this stuff is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2cN9ulBGs

You do need to wear a dust mask when it is in powder form to keep it out of your lungs. I plan on doing the batch mixing outside with a mask as I don’t want it blowing around in my studio. I will then tube it or put it in a jar. Once mixed in with the oil there is no more danger from the product. They actually use this in some FOOD and pharmaceutical products!

https://www.aerosil.com/product/aerosil/en/industries/feed-food/pages/default.aspx

Gigalot

Actually, you do need to wear a dust mask even when it is coffee powder form to keep it out of your lungs. :) Hope you know how dangerous coffee powder can be, when inhaled or when inhaled chronically.

Gigalot

Fumed Silica can be found in many different consistencies from larger particles to extremely fine powders.

Fumed silica can’t have “larger” particles in it, it can form larger agglomerates. “Particles” and “Agglomerates” are different things.

contumacious

Thanks for the clarification Gigalot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Making Fumed Silica Gel Medium’ is closed to new replies.