Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery The Free State of Winston (L&W)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jscottb

“The Free State of Winston is a popular name given to Civil War-era Winston County, as a reflection of the county’s generally pro-Union stance and resistance to Confederate rule during the war. During the secession crisis, Unionists in Winston County declared their right to secede from Alabama; much as the state seceded from the Union. Although the county pulled back from the bold step of secession and hoped to remain neutral in the conflict, it remained under state control and was the scene of violent acts of retribution during and after the war.” – From the Alabama Encylopedia.

This barn stands along the roadside in present-day Winston County still declaring the free state.

Daniel Smith, Stillman&Birn Zeta, Micron Inks.

pjartwc

Lovely sketch/painting!

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

jscottb

Thanks, Jan. Yes, this was just a sketch. Done while having coffee this morning. Maybe someday it will be a painting.

Johndk

I love the way you have captured the light quality. Excellent.

When do we get to see “the painting”. I consider this one as Version 1. :lol:

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

FrankM

Fantastic, Scott. I like how you expressed the roof, especially. Nice touch.

Cheers!
                        Frank

FrankM

ErnstG

Beautiful Scott – great color!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                            Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                            Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

A lovely effort. How long has that sign been there?

jscottb

I just got an email from a lady whose grandfather built the barn and placed the sign. As she appears to be in her 60’s, my guess is that it is approaching 75 years or so. If you are talking about the stop sign, no idea.

KiwiKate

Love this. Your sketches are excellent.

Kate
                                    Henderson, Nevada
                                    C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

jscottb

Thanks Kate. @john, probably sooner rather than later. I really enjoyed painting this one.

hoylander

Very well done Scott,I love the freshness and your colours !!

Joan :wave:

So do I. Beautiful work.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.