Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing french easel plans, leg extension questions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    n1k86

i am going to be building a french easel for my girlfriend, and i was wondering were i could get plans, also, any information on where to get the parts for leg extensions, or instructions would be greatly appreciated,
        Thanks

Enchanted

i am going to be building a french easel for my girlfriend, and i was wondering were i could get plans, also, any information on where to get the parts for leg extensions, or instructions would be greatly appreciated,
            Thanks

Unless you just like a huge challenge, why not simply buy one for her? Now that French easels are made in places like CHINA! – and can be purchased for very little money, why waste all that time trying to build one. Even at the expense of mailing it to Abu Dhabi, I suspect you’ll be better off buying.

just dave

I agree that you should buy one, not make one. Getting all of the hardwood (elm, red oak, or whatever) and the brass hardware will be much more expensive and time-consuming than getting a Julian orginal. Oh, and go for the Julian, not a cheap copy.

If you are hell-bent on making something, make a “pochade box” for her. Now that is far easier; it goes on a photo camera tripod. Look at examples online, and make one.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

Dave...a student of the visual arts

The cheapest I’ve seen is one for around $129 on sale. Can you suggest one that costs around what it would be to make one?

I think making one of these yourself and using the threading you would use for a tripod like a pochade box might work out to be pretty cheap.

Have any of you made one for cheap yet?

Jeremiah J. White
                JeremiahWhite.com/home.html

"sketch everything and keep your curiosity fresh" - John Singer Sargent
                just dave

Yes, a Julian French Easel can easily be bought for the regular price of $150-170. Sales have brought them as low as $120. be sure to check on the shipping! One store may sell it for $140 FOB, which means you pay for truck shipping; making the final cost more than the store that charges $160 but sends it by whatver package carrier they use for other art supplies.

CAUTION: RANT AHEAD– The reason why some sellers do the FOB deal on items they could send with other packages is because they don’t want to stock those items and they are making you pay for their lack of convenience to you, the artist! NOTICE: RANT CONCLUDED

You could make a pochade box much cheaper than copying a French easel but as an artist I find that often such ready-mades do not fit my style of painting or have the right sections for the items I need to take with me.

Dave...a student of the visual arts

CeltMann

I just bought a Cheap Joe’s French Easel for $69.99. I went there in person (Boone NC) and compared them with their Julians and Mabofs, and was amazed. Although I was a professional luthier and fine woodworker for over 20 years, I would not attempt to build one of these for the purpose of saving money, especially now that they are selling for under $70.

I examined them closely in the showroom, but when I bought mine, it came in a sealed box. When I got it home and opened it, it was fully assembled and ready to set up and paint. It was just as high quality as the one in the showroom.

The woodworking and design are not that much different than the big names, nor is the wood quality. The only differences are that it doesn’t have a metal liner and divider system in the drawer (but cuts out that extra weight in the process), and it needed an extra coat of linseed oil in my opinion. I oiled it that first night, gave it 24 hours to dry, and oiled it a second time, and now it looks like something costing several times as much. I could not be more happy with my purchase.

You can also buy them from Cheap Joe’s over the web (http://www.cheapjoes.com) or telephone, and they ship and stand behind their products.
                        Pádraig
                        :clap:

Pádraig

"Outside of a dog, a Book is man's best friend ('cause inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" -Groucho Marx

caprig

I bought mine through ASW- the Creative Mark Grand Luxe.

It was a GRAND NIGHTMARE.

First one was moldy (yes covered in green mold). Company was horrid to deal with. Cust serv manager was a jerk, and to get another one sent was horrid- it came with parts missing, and then the parts were sent to me in a blank envelope with postage due.

I was so thrilled to get an easel, and now I really hate it.

The hardware is horrible, and I have been looking for replacement parts- the wood is fine- but I can not find them anywhere.

A SPLASH OF COLOR IN A BROWN WORLD - THAT'S ME! :wave:

fayanne

Here’s a link to instructions for building an easel:

http://www.itg.uiuc.edu/people/grosser/easel/

I think you need a diploma to get it right, but they don’t say which one:-))))

I found these on the web. Hope it helps.

Dick Blick http://www.dickblick.com/zz515/71c/

Xylem Design http://www.xylemdesign.com/Easels/ArtistEasels/AcademyWestonFullFrenchEasel.asp

Easel resources http://www.easelplans.com/discounted_easel_supply.html

Some people dream of success while others wake up and work hard at it.

"Don't worry about the world ending today, its already tomorrow in Australia."
                                -Charles M. Schulz

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.