Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Plein air is humbling.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Slow progress but I am getting out and plugging away. C&C Welcome. Gary

Weed Patch 6×8 Acrylics
    [ATTACH]865730[/ATTACH]

Dodging Rain Drops 6×8 H2O Oils
    [ATTACH]865731[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Bartc

Wish there were a simple “like” button. Nice work, especially appealing to me is the first one.

Thanks Bart. The first is acrylics (both heavy body and open) and the second is oils. I am going to work with both this year. I know that you paint in acrylics. I am liking the ability to paint over dry acrylic layers in the same painting session. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Bartc

Thanks Bart. The first is acrylics (both heavy body and open) and the second is oils. I am going to work with both this year. I know that you paint in acrylics. I am liking the ability to paint over dry acrylic layers in the same painting session. Gary

Yes, but I also paint in other water based or dry media: Ceracolors, pastel, ink, pencil, watercolor. Because I work outdoors, things change quickly and conditions are not ideal, I do prefer media that dry quickly and allow glazing or painting over, plus acrylics can be made to dry slower or to blend well anyway.

I have tried oil en plein air and otherwise. I’ve never really taken to oil media, partly because of that drying time struggle, which is particularly difficult in the outdoors. But truth be told, some of my painting group do oils out there consistently and do a great job of it. They may touch up later at home.

Cedarita

You are right, it is humbling, but you got a couple of nice ones there. Especially that tree trunk.

maryinasia

esp love the second one

Thanks again Bart. I will keep working in both mediums. In ways each informs the other.

Thanks Robin. However they look in the end, plein air paintings are mostly a pleasure to do.

Thanks Mary. Always great to hear from you.

Thanks again. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Looking good Gary. Good handling of high chroma and fine brushwork as usual.
                    I haven’t been out yet, between wet cold weather and homeowners maintenance woes:music: :music: no excuses though….

Thanks Patrick. I get the homeowners thing. We are in the early stage of remodeling 3 bathrooms. We have a contractor and are going through the prep efforts right now. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Beautiful, I like both. Nice light and textures.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                    My website https://jocastilloart.com

flippedlid

It is indeed a humbling experience nearly every time I go out. But, it has also sped up my progress, I believe.

Your two pieces here are very fine examples. Keep it up.

Todd

Todd Derr - pigment mover. Observer of nature.

Beautiful pieces! I especially like the second one. I find it very appealing.

Three bathrooms! We’re in the middle of remodeling one and that’s driving me crazy.

Bartc, a like button is on my wishlist too.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                        Find me on Instagram
                        Find me on Facebook

Thanks Jo. It is good to get restarted.

Thanks Todd. Plein air does require one to make a reasonably quick decision and largely stick with it.

Thanks Virginia. I love painting in oils but they can frustrate me. I tend to use too little value contrast that is only apparent once I am back home.

Thanks again, Gary

"Painting is a verb"

bobbybirds

Quite lovely stuff!! I am a newbie and would love to be painting as nicely as you do one day…:thumbsup:

Thanks Bobbybirds. I appreciate the kind words. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.