Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Removal of "acrylic resist etch" from Aluminium?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ainesse

I wonder if any of you are in a position to advise me in my current predicament?

I conducted the application of castor sugar onto Lascaux soft ground, as described in the recently published “Intaglio” book, by Carol Robertson and Robert Adams, which overall I find to be an extremley helpful book for printmakers nowadays.

I did the caster sugar Lascaux soft ground application on to an aluminium plate.

I then saline etched and proofed it. OK that was fine. I then thought I would do another castor sugar application, to improve the ‘aquatint’ like affect.

I have been obtaining my Lascaux A.R.E. printmaking materials from AP FitzPatrick, (sole suppliers of the full range -i within the UK).

Unfortunately they didn’t have any Lascaux remover in stock so I then ordered some of the Mystrol cleaner as recommended in the “Intaglio” book.

I wondered if this might be more economical too, given that I had just spent nearly £200-00, on purchasing most of Lascaux’s range of acrylic resist etch and tusche materials.

BUT IT HAS”NT WORKED !!!

I soaked it for half an hour following the directions in the book. But it didn’t ‘budge” – anyway so then I thought I would leave it in overnight which I did and still nothing !!

Is it the case that if I had the Lascaux soft ground on copper – that it would remove it?

Perhaps it doesn’t work with aluminium.

I had also read somewhere that using sodium metasilicate crystals would remove acrylic resist – but again I followed the instructions and it did not remove the resist.

I wish I was more knowledgeable where chemistry was concerned !!

So here I am waiting for the Lascaux ‘remover” to be back in stock at AP Fitzpatrick and with 5 bottles of Mystrol cleaner that won’t remove my acrylic etch !!

woe is me

Aine scannell

Aine

:cat:

I admit right off the bat that I have no experience with the brand of material you mention. But …. Try household ammonia. If that stuff really is acrylic, the ammonia should remove it with no difficulty. And household ammonia is very cheap.

Keep us all posted.

Cheers …… Charles

ainesse

Thanks for that Charles -I was just looking at your website yesterday and was fascinated by your PDF about foilography. Excellent instructions.

I ill see if I can get hold of household amonia

best wishes

Aine

Inky Fingers

I second the amonia suggestion. It’s always worked on acrylic for me. Tells us how it works.

Ken

--Laughter is the closest distance between two people.--

Victor Borge

ainesse

Thanks to everbody who contributed advice on my acrylic resist removal

I am trying to locate “household amonia” without success – I have not yet managed to find an old fashioned hardware store that might have it. The company that supply the brand remover ie ” Lascauux acrylic resist remover”
                    still havent got it back in stock amazingly.
                    Anyway just to let you all know that I do appreciate your assistance

Aine

Thanks to everbody who contributed advice on my acrylic resist removal

I am trying to locate “household amonia” without success – I have not yet managed to find an old fashioned hardware store that might have it. The company that supply the brand remover ie ” Lascauux acrylic resist remover”
                    still havent got it back in stock amazingly.
                    Anyway just to let you all know that I do appreciate your assistance

Aine

Here in North America, you can buy household ammonia in most any grocery store. It is sold right along with laundry detergent and other household cleaners. It is used to remove Future floor polish (an acrylic) as well as for general cleaning and disinfectant purposes. Check your large groceries where other cleaners are sold. You might also check a janitorial supply outlet. Good luck!!!

Cheers …… Charles

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.