Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Lighting for Night Painting-advise?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hello!
    I’m usually painting inside in the evening, and all our lights and walls cast a yellow light over my work and the colors are often a surprise when I finally see them in natural light.
    What do you recommend for bulbs, lamps, etc to replicate natural light? Looking for smaller solutions to make my current set up work better.
    Links welcome!

Thanks,
    Jennifer

OttLite. I have the 13W Slimline Task Lamp. It is amazing! I will never go back to conventional lighting for painting if I can help it.

C&C is welcome.
    Richard

OK

Lights are usually for convenience grouped into warm or cool and rated in degrees Kelvin Warm 2700K to3500K Cool 3500K to 5000K.
        As well as the temperatures the other important thing is the Spectral Emission from the different types of lights.

Below is a chart showing the output for typical Incandescent, Flourescent and LED lights compared to daylight.

As you can see Incandescent favours the red end, Flourescent has strong spikes in the green and yellow and although LEDs follow closer to daylight they still miss out a lot of blue and red.
        Cool rated LED’s are you best bet but still a compromise.
        :wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
        — Allen Ginsberg
        Are you ready for a Journey?
        PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

contumacious

Here is some “light” reading for you, probably way more than you want to know.

http://stereopsis.com/fullspectrum/

What I ended up liking the best were 3500 to 5000K bulbs from Solex mounted on light stands or on a track light above my easel. One or two lights falling on the easel from above at about 35 degrees and, one on my palette. I turn down or off all the other lights in the studio at night.

http://solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/infopages/index.html

Though they both seem to be popular in art studios, I flat out DETEST any kind of CFL / fluorescent lamp. The colors seem bizarre to me and they tend to flicker on our 60hz AC power. I moderately loathe LED lights. They are slightly better than CFL’s but they still stink. From my experience, the CFLs and the LED lights can really mess up the color balance in your paintings if used to light your easel.

lindsay13

I had this same problem and looked at a lot of expensive desk/art lights online then went to the hardware store and ended up finding a cheaper solution that works great. I bought two clip on construction lights and put in daylight compact fluorescent and clipped them to the shelf above my workspace. It’s great. I can finally see! And they were cheap :clap:

zardoz71

I have 3*6500k daylight led from the UK for interior room lightning, another of this bulb is in a table lamp for drawing.
                    Additional 2 spotlights for photographing at 5500k. The are bright enough to use them without any extra lights in the room.
                    Plus a floor lamp that I use rarely these days with a more warm light, have not upgraded it to LED yet.

I prefer more the cool light for paintings when I work in the evening/night

Spaceguy

Over the last five years I have developed lights specifically for studio and plein air use using the latest LED technology. The key features of these lights are tunabiliy ( 2700K to 6500K), compactness and affordability.

ddattler

I use LED Lighting now. Anything between 3000k and 5000K will look more cool (light Blue), similar to outdoor light. The higher the number the less yellow it will be.

http://wildlifearts.com
                            Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know. ~ Rembrandt

In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.