Home Forums Explore Subjects Illustration Remembering the old Designs, Magic Markers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

I do enjoy using the new alcohol-based markers like Prismacolors and Pantone/Letraset TRIA markers (I haven’t tried the highly-touted Copics yet), but oh how I miss the old xylene-based art markers such as Design Markers, the older Pantone markers, and especially those old glass-bodied Magic Markers (I still have a few of each brand).

Those old xylene-ink markers are excellent for blending wet-into-wet, and theyr’e great for reverse drawings (in which the ink soaks through to the other side of the paper). Also they’re great for soft edges. The newer alcohol-ink markers are not as well suited for that.

On the other hand, alcohol markers do produce cleaner, sharper lines, so they’re better suited for fine details (and water-based markers are best of all for this purpose, as their ink does not spread, unless soft-surfaced paper is used), and they are not as toxic to inhale in an enclosed room for long periods.

As I said, I like both kinds of permanent ink markers for different reasons, but I do wish someone would bring back the old Magic Markers and Design Markers in their complete color ranges, or produce a new brand of xylene-ink markers in an extensive color and value range, like about 200 colors. I wish I had the wherewithal to do that.

At least thank goodness for Chartpak, which still makes their AD Markers in 130 xylene-ink colors.

In the book of love's own dream, where all the print is blood.
        Where all the pages are my days, and all the lights grow old.
        When I had no wings to fly, you flew to me, you flew to me.

bliss

I hope the days of toxic markers are gone.

It’s not that I like the toxicity of the older markers, bliss. It is that I like the working qualities of the older markers, and they had great color ranges. It’s as if each marker brand is a different language, and when Magic Markers and Design Markers disappeared, two marker languages vanished, and marker language in general has become the poorer for it.

bliss

Yeah, ok. Are you a writer?

bliss

Just read one of your old posts. You are a writer. And a hermit as I am.

Why, uh, thank you. And Happy Holidays to you and yours. :)

bliss

Why, uh, thank you. And Happy Holidays to you and yours. :)

Why are you thanking me? Happy Thanksgiving to you, if you live in the US. If not, Happy day!:)

Happy DAYS indeed!

bliss

Happy DAYS indeed!

Psst… we’re the only two posting in this thread.

kierska

Hey you two…not the only ones now… :)

The cool thing about Copics is that you can (drumroll please…) mix your own colors!! If, that is, you want to shell out the $$$…

I used to be the manager of an art supply store, and when “they” discontinued Design markers, I actually had customers YELL AT ME!!! (also had some hug me when I found extra stock in our warehouse- toxins be damned!)

-kierska
                                            aka kirsten from alaska
                                            aka "girl ferret"

Wellllllll kierska…………..there is room for one more (that is, if bliss doesn’t mind)…;)

Seroiusly though, it is nice to see that I’m not the only one here who misses those old Designs. They had a great color range with lots of light, pastel, and dark values of their colors, and probably the best cool gray range ever made during the xylene-ink marker era.

:clap: Oh happy day! I’ve found that Magic Markers still do exist. They’re manufactured by a British company called Royal Sovereign in 150 alcohol-based colors, and here is a link to a store that sells them:

http://www.studioartshop.com/acatalog/MagicMarkerTwinTips.html

Now if we could just convince someone to bring back Design Markers…:)

dinska

Did I ever stock up on turquoise and melon when Design went the way of the Dodo. I still have two. =(

Copics are really promising. Right away I love the barrel feel and brush tip — they work well so far, but time will tell. I like the refill option — mixing colors would be great. They are so expensive though, I have not looked into the ink. Just have not used them enough so far.

Sandy K

Here is a link for some markers like the old “Design” markers by Eberhard Faber with Xylene base. I have not tried them yet but thinking about ordering a few.

http://www.misterart.com/g1476/Chartpak-Ad-Markers.htm

If anyone has them, please post and tell us all if they are the same as the “Design”

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Best Wishes,
                                                            Sandy :wave:

no1liksu

Just go digital. All the design work I used to do with markers I do digitally these days. More options. I don’t miss the marker days. Once in while I’ll hit a sketch with a marker just to indicate something but it doesn’t really matter what brand. Since it’s so minimal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Remembering the old Designs, Magic Markers’ is closed to new replies.