Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Chetola Rhodendron

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Golfgal58

One of my goals since I retired is to move outside my comfort zone when it comes to painting. As such, I recently took a three day plein air workshop in Blowing Rock NC. Registering for the workshop automatically registered me into the 2019 Blowing Rock Plein Air Festival. Initially I was not going to participate in the festival, but after gaining some confidence during the workshop I figured “what the heck”. I had a blast and learned so much.

Below is my entry. It is done with open acrylics on a 9 x 12 canvas board.

Iris

C&C Welcome
        Learning to paint is learning to see.

CaliAnn

Lovely and soft painting. I especially love the background trees, the sky and foreground grass depicting all the slopes

sevan

I like how there’s a light unexpectedly in the middle, makes me wonder about hidden paths.
                Love the color of the tree behind the light, and the pinks, ties the greens together nicely!

I am glad that you gave it shot. This is very enjoyable plein air work. Plein air is a bit addictive?

Did you like the open acrylics? I would guess that with North Carolina’s humidity they are much like painting in oils.

Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Arnie

Nice variation of greens, and colour from the flower and crimson tree. The lamp makes for a good coi. Well done.
                    Arnie

kentiessen

I’m glad your Workshop supported your entry into the Festival, and that you joined it. Congratulations!

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

RandyP

Kudos for moving out of your comfort zone! And it’s great you were able to attend the workshop and the Plein air event. Having fun and trying new things is what it’s all about. Nice 9×12″ painting here. Looking forward to seeing more as you forge ahead with the information gained from the workshop.

Randy

Dcam

Iris: lovely painting. Glad you participated in the festival.
                                Keep going Maryland buddy.
                                sad that NC doesn’t have good crabs and national bo.

Reddyman

Great palette and nice use if greens…. that subtle play of light works well here too….great piece.
                                    John :)

Golfgal58

Caliann & Sevan – Thank you for your comments

Gary – I definitely enjoyed the experience. I really liked the open acrylics and will probably slowly convert to them as they need to be replaced.

Arnie – Thank you

Ken – It was a wonderful experience. I am glad I took advantage of the opportunity.

Randy – Thank you. I look forward to painting outside again.

Derek – Thank you. I do miss my Maryland crabs. We got a bushel recently here in NC and they just couldn’t compete! We were definitely spoiled in Maryland having had the privilege of living on the water and catching our own.

John – Thanks

Iris

C&C Welcome

Old Radagast

I like it! It has a cloudy spring light to it, contrasted by the lovely flowers!

Matthew

Still much to paint and much to learn!
                                            My blog: https://autumnglade.blogspot.com/

Ditto on the softness of the work – certainly an attractive painting.

Golfgal58

Matthew and JMax – Thank you.

Iris

C&C Welcome

Dorrart

Lovely delicate colors and brushwork. Nice job on the plein air painting, can be tough to do.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Nice work- I especially like the way you did those trees on the left.
                                                    Plein air festivals are a lot of fun!

Wendy C&C always welcome
                                                    Everybody likes feedback! Please remember to comment on others' threads, even if it's just a "nice work" post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.